What gear/tools are in your backpack?

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully this isn't a re-post.

I picked up a new Klim krewpak backpack and i was trying to figure out what i needed for gear/tools/etc to put in the bag. I wanted to hear what you guys/girls put in your backpacks and or tunnel bags for sledding in the mountains.

So far I've got: some in my backpack, some in my tunnel bag.
  • chunk of rope
  • couple granola bars
  • multi tool w/knife
  • multi driver / screw driver
  • small assortment of allen keys
  • spark plugs - spare
  • matches
  • small first aid kit
  • fuses
  • toilet paper
  • extra gloves,balaclava,goggles/lens
  • micro fiber cloth - googles
  • bailing wire
  • electrical tape
  • zip ties
  • spare beacon batteries
  • shovel/probe/beacon
  • camera/sd card
  • aspirin
  • tampons - thanks TEX - fyi firestarter!
  • phone charging cord

Dan

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tampons.... Sounds stupid , but dip in gas and light

Will start wet wood on fire

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry pretty much the same as you except for the bailing wire. I also have a roll of duct tape, collapsible saw, and gps. If you search this topic there's been some popular threads on it before. Some people overpack (IMO) and others under pack but it's nice to see what others take so you can decide what you feel is needed.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry pretty much the same as you except for the bailing wire. I also have a roll of duct tape, collapsible saw, and gps. If you search this topic there's been some popular threads on it before. Some people overpack (IMO) and others under pack but it's nice to see what others take so you can decide what you feel is needed.

Awesome, i searched back a little further and found some threads on it. thanks guys

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey guys, hopefully this isn't a re-post.

I picked up a new Klim krewpak backpack and i was trying to figure out what i needed for gear/tools/etc to put in the bag. I wanted to hear what you guys/girls put in your backpacks and or tunnel bags for sledding in the mountains.

So far I've got: some in my backpack, some in my tunnel bag.
  • chunk of rope
  • couple granola bars water and a few cans of smoked oysters/sardines/herring in case of over night stay.
  • multi tool w/knife
  • multi driver / screw driver as a Doo owner, we need an assortment of Torx bits.
  • small assortment of allen keys both metric and standard and 1/4" & 3/8" ratchet with a selection of common sockets and a small selection of the smaller nuts/bolts/washers used on my machine or other common machines.
  • spark plugs - spare with the Etec, it is a chore to change plugs and the normal plug wrench is not included in the tool kit. A deep socket and a 3/8" ratchet is required.
  • matches strike anywhere matches in a waterproof holder along with a smaller strip of the sandpaper taped to the holder or inserted into the holder.
  • small first aid kit with an eye patch, if there is an eye injury this is a handy little gadget to have.
  • fuses
  • toilet paper
  • extra gloves,balaclava,goggles/lens and a small foil blanket or tarp type of thing.
  • micro fiber cloth - googles
  • bailing wire
  • electrical tape duct or gorilla tape.
  • zip ties a couple of plastic bags in case of wet feet from that creek one got stuck in.
  • spare beacon batteries
  • shovel/probe/beacon survival saw and not the pissy one in the shovel handle.
  • camera/sd card
  • aspirin I have an assortment of pain drugs (tylenol, ibuprofen, and a few more powerful for maybe a broken leg/arm)
  • tampons - thanks TEX - fyi firestarter! I also carry some Coleman fire starter sticks
  • phone charging cord
  • and I have been known to carry a small axe quite regularly.

Dan

I put some additional information in bold above. I am sure I have more that I listed as someday's the pack is too darn heavy!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A well stocked first aid kit. Mine is in a shaving kit and sits in the bottom of my avy back. Small ones are useless if the injury is bigger than a sliver or small cut. Only took one small wreck for us to figure out we couldn't do much to stop bleeding from a smaller leg gash (running boards). Lucky the cabin had a first aid supplies as well. Include a bottle of 400 mg Advil for pain so you can move an injuried person if required.

calltrex

Reaction score
I put some tampons in my pack. Good for starting fires but also good for a big gash in your leg or something

Or period shows up. Haha

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
A well stocked first aid kit. Mine is in a shaving kit and sits in the bottom of my avy back. Small ones are useless if the injury is bigger than a sliver or small cut. Only took one small wreck for us to figure out we couldn't do much to stop bleeding from a smaller leg gash (running boards). Lucky the cabin had a first aid supplies as well. Include a bottle of 400 mg Advil for pain so you can move an injuried person if required.

Just a quick note, as a person who cannot take Advil due to allergies, its always good to carry more than 1 kind of pain killer. Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin etc, acetaminophen (Tylenol), acetylsalicylic (Aspirin)

calltrex

Reaction score
You don't want to use the ones that thin the blood though. I believe

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leathermen
cressent

A bonus of riding a newer stock sled

Keep in mind thats TOOLS. I carry first aid kit, rope, pain killers (incase u have to get out no advil or tylenol either;)), zip ties, flashlight, extra granola bars, gloves theres more im sure but i just cant remember its been a few months lol maybe will update post in about a month

24V E30

Reaction score
Good thread.

Where can one pick up a good wood saw that's not huge and bulky but will still cut down a tree or branches? I was going to check out the shovels with the built in saws but I have a feeling those saw blades would be on the thin chitty side and barely cut snow.

Also a recommendation on a decent multi tool/knife?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread.

Where can one pick up a good wood saw that's not huge and bulky but will still cut down a tree or branches? I was going to check out the shovels with the built in saws but I have a feeling those saw blades would be on the thin chitty side and barely cut snow.

Also a recommendation on a decent multi tool/knife?
I wrecked multiple Gerber's until I bought the Sno Bunje saw. Works like a hot damn.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put some tampons in my pack. Good for starting fires but also good for a big gash in your leg or something

Or period shows up. Haha
Ya u just never know, if or when it happens

Won't work so well if it's used to start fire I bet tho

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a few on top of everything else, lots of food (Doritos in particular) can be used as fire starter as well. A map of the area you are riding, you have no idea how many people I have come across that don't know where they are, sometimes they think they are a ridge over from where they actually are. People are like sheep, if there are tracks they will follow.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a cool socket set a Canadian tire. It hard to explain what it looks like but it's really slim container. The sockets are collars that fit over the bolt head then the ratchet fits the collar. There screw driver bits and torx head in there to. The hole kit is only 1 1/2" deep and is moulded to the shape of your back it's a handy kit. As for strike anywhere matches make sure they don't rattle around to much they can start on fire by rubbing together. My mom had that happen to her with them in her purse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Inreach or a Sat phone is a good piece of gear to bring along depending on where you are riding. I'm looking at the Spot sat phone, not that much $ and sure would bring some piece of mind if anyone gets hurt way back.

Nikm17

Reaction score
The orange folding stihl saws work pretty good. I believe they're called easy cut saws

Top Bottom