what area to ride?

dirk660

Reaction score
a small group of us are planning a day trip to golden, i have already made arrangements for a guide, gear and getting passes to ride. he recommended going riding at gorman lake. we are new at this and are not extreme hill climbers but would like to find some nice powder.would you guys agree that this is a good spot or would recommend a different area?

thanks

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gorman is a great area, but it could be considered a little above a novice rider standard as there is a bit of a climb into the riding area. There is some big terrain in there, lots of fun but you need to play safe.

If you have made arrangements with a reputable guide, and have been honest about your riding abilities and the guide is suggesting Gorman then go for it.

Other areas near Golden would be Quartz Creek, easy in, easy out.

Chatter and Silent Pass are all a bit longer of a trek.

check out this link...

Last edited:

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a small group of us are planning a day trip to golden, i have already made arrangements for a guide, gear and getting passes to ride. he recommended going riding at gorman lake. we are new at this and are not extreme hill climbers but would like to find some nice powder.would you guys agree that this is a good spot or would recommend a different area?

thanks
Well if your new at this i might suggest Quartz as you have different areas to play in. And I agree if the guide is going to take you there then go for it but when im out with a newbie its quartz. Play at the bottom and work your way up Gorman kinda starts up
I guess the big question is how much riding has your group done?
RP

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gorman isnt that bad.. a bit of side hill.. i tool my buddys 9yo brother in there last year and he didn fine

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Slut Gorman is great for us, but if you guys are new to the mountains Gorman is not the place to go for your first experience. Depending how confident you are you might not even make it to the lake. Go to Quartz you can see a lot of nice spots without any big climbs to get in.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty early to ride Gorman I think...my bet would be that the lake is still open @ this time of year.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isnt here a FSR road that goes around the SW side of the lake

The FSR ends at the bridge where you go from past the avy shoot heading into the cutblocks. There is only a tiny little bridge there. It's a bit unnerving to cross before the groomer's been through to fill it in!

Top Bottom