well taking the 08 xp to the baker center... treatment is about to start, hopfully i

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya we are talking about going tommorow or the next day, any one else want to go

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
off to fernie/cranbrooke for a few days, all are welcome 4035280444

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well just got back from a few days in cranbroke,fernie and a few in ten lakes, snow was not the best in cranbroke, but better down south

found the first day riding the new rolled chaincase that it feels more tippy, in low snow or running the trails, probbally from being lowered the extra inch, but still rides ok

first nice hill i came to i found the strected case to whellie like i have never seen before, almost fliped it over back a few times, this was in four inches of untouched snow with a hard base... was not that impressed and know this would of not did this prior

called baker from the hill for advice, his gut feel is that extra track speed is being transfered to the ground and in those poor snow conditions skid is not able to hold it down, said to try magnetic blocks, it was better , but still way to much lifting for my liking

over all sled still feels nimble, but not much gain in them conditions

so far not sure if i would do it again, and have no plans on doing the etec turbo just yet, once i can find better snow will compare again

also found the extra clearence to cause engine overheating much quicker than before, scratchers are a must, and even in deep snow, i am seeing one bar higher water temps

hope this mod gets better...

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first nice hill i came to i found the strected case to whellie like i have never seen before, almost fliped it over back a few times, this was in four inches of untouched snow with a hard base... was not that impressed and know this would of not did this prior

called baker from the hill for advice, his gut feel is that extra track speed is being transfered to the ground and in those poor snow conditions skid is not able to hold it down, said to try magnetic blocks, it was better , but still way to much lifting for my liking

also found the extra clearence to cause engine overheating much quicker than before, scratchers are a must, and even in deep snow, i am seeing one bar higher water temps

hope this mod gets better...

fred did you change up to the 8tooth drivers with this mod or left the 7tooth in? What rear skid do you have in your sled?? stock still? As well did you notice a track speed gain, to go from controlled to almost flipping over you would need to yield a 5mph increase or better i would think

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes darrel went with 8 tooth drivers, and i use his skid, all install by him, i am running the same primary settings with the same secondary settings, i might have 1/2 turn more helix than before, but nothing great

so i dont think the track speeds are much higher if any, but tought to tell with the new snow we had

this mod was done to hold skis down up steep inclines and prevent less trenching, so far i just seen the opposite...

hpjunkie

Reaction score
Fred- With the new case, was the front arm in the skid moved down? If the front arm was moved down, and the rear not, in harder snow conditions the sled would tend to pivot at the center & induce the wheelies you've described. This is similar to what the Pro Assaults are experiencing with stk mounting of front arm. When using the upper (RMK) mounting point this is greatly reduced. Darrel does know his suspensions, but this is what it sounds like to me?Keep us updated...

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just found a paddle missing, so now i am some what confused, i thought it was from the smaller drivers, not know more...:mad:

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fred I run bakers old arms and I find I have to keep limiter snugged up. It maybe out on yours giving it that loose handling ?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you measure your distance from the center of the swing arm to the center of the support arm that the limiter strap goes around, mine is at 7 inches

bakers is at 6.25 inches and works good so i plan to do the same

snow build up is not bad, might have a bit in the back of the tunnel with the 154 heat exchander in a 162 tunnel

front swing arm only has one hole for install, i dont see what your seeing

was doing some friction testing on the stand with a fish scale and found no difference from the chain drive 7 tooth drivers to the 8 tooth belt drive rolled case, they both wer in the 2.5 to 4 lbs to start movement

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you measure your distance from the center of the swing arm to the center of the support arm that the limiter strap goes around, mine is at 7 inches

bakers is at 6.25 inches and works good so i plan to do the same

snow build up is not bad, might have a bit in the back of the tunnel with the 154 heat exchander in a 162 tunnel

front swing arm only has one hole for install, i dont see what your seeing

was doing some friction testing on the stand with a fish scale and found no difference from the chain drive 7 tooth drivers to the 8 tooth belt drive rolled case, they both wer in the 2.5 to 4 lbs to start movement

interesting results. i imagine the only tracks that have less rolling resistance are the ported tracks. i can pull a ported track sled off the deck no problem and tracks spins no issues. but any of the new 2.5 or 3 inchers with no ports its a chore to get them rolling

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fred how much track tension you running with what drivers?? be interesting to compare.

Myself i was thinking of running a single hole port down the middle to help with the drag scenario as well allowing a little more snow into the skid for low snow conditions/trails

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
avid 8 tooth drivers, 3 inches of play in the track, very loose, that idea about a port hole in the middle might be a good idea... raised limiter up one hole tonight, so now center to center is just under 7 inches

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fred. When I got my 3" home new I found a blemish on the root of the paddle. After 500 miles I noticed the the blemish is getting worse and will probably loose that paddle. I sent pics in for warrenty.
I've been waiting to report this because I've been following your findings on loosing paddle. I don't think it's the smaller diameter drivers, I believe there is a problem in the mold on the 3".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update after only 500 miles I found another paddle ready to peel off, and there was no blasting down trails either. Sending the track out for warrenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I took so long Fred I had mine set at 6 but it wanted to wheelie so now it's at 5 1/4 any tighter and it's heavy on front

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Daryl told me to start at 6 and it was nuts on wheeling ask Barry I was outa control since then I've been snugging it up. The three inch really amplifies this.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well went to fenie yesterday, snow was setup and lots of tracksion, once again even with the limiter sucked up to 6 3/4, i was whelling like i have never whellied before, few times had to let off or it would of almost fliped... really not sure on this mod anymore, starting to wish i never did it

we will be going to revy and sicamous this next week, want to compare to baker and others, also have been haveing real cooling issues with this mod, ran scracters all day yesterday, and still over heated a few times, never did this the prior five years in those snow conditions, and to top it off, lost another paddle off of 3 ich track, gotta love sleding

Top Bottom