Water heaters for the motorhome

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the water heater in my motorhome. Tank is damaged and the module is cracked. So I have been looking at all the options. On demand seems like the way to go but parts dude at woody's says they on provide warm water not hot. Looked at the xt water heaters and they seem ok but the price and the mixer valve seems to have issues. The price I got today for the exact replacement was over $600 yet online I find the exact one on sale for $346. Kinda hard to pay double buying locally. I look at getting the replacement tank or repairing but at this point I would just rather bolt up a new one. Where is the best place to pick one up? I have just started shopping and locally parts are ALOT more then the US for rv stuff. I bought a linkage kit for my step today from woodys. Cost me 92$. They were 34$ online. But add in shipping and time to get here I just said **** it and paid the price to get it today.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy at woodys doesn't know what he is talking about.the on demand systems provide scalding hot water,I work at a rv dealer in Gp.not sure what they are worth,probably not cheap though.im just a tech in the back lol...the us stuff is cheaper,get a 10 gallon,with electric and propane can't go wrong..

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you give me more info on the on demand systems? Are they easy to retrofit? And which is THE model to buy?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you give me more info on the on demand systems? Are they easy to retrofit? And which is THE model to buy?

X2. I'm so sick of waiting forever for the hot water tank burner to kick back on. It's re-start-up temp after it gets hot takes so long that lots of times I gotta run the outdoor shower till it does, wait for it to get hot and then shower otherwise I run out of hot water halfway.
The inline on demands I don't think work that well so likely gonna have to go with the gas/110volt unit.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My experience with the model of on demand water heaters I have worked on was that they are garbage! They provide warm water at a high flow rate and only hot at a trickle! Lots of customer complains. My dealership cancelled all trailers with them installed untill they can prove their system can work. IMO go with gas/elec.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you tried the Atwood 50,000 but models or just the older Gerard ones?

Prolineracer

Reaction score
I've replaced a good amount of the Gerard ones with suburbans because the Gerard system sucks. Apparently the Atwood ones are much better but I have yet to see one.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new Atwood is the one I'm looking at. If I buy locally I am looking at 300 more for what should be a better system. I can't believe the mark up we have here on rv stuff. Unreal. The replacement for the one I have now is 350 us online and 650 in the rv place in Morinville. Woodys was the same.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only worked with the girard heaters and they aren't worth a damn

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
your dealership?
My experience with the model of on demand water heaters I have worked on was that they are garbage! They provide warm water at a high flow rate and only hot at a trickle! Lots of customer complains. My dealership cancelled all trailers with them installed untill they can prove their system can work. IMO go with gas/elec.

Top Bottom