Vehicle selling/trading questions

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some opinions or experience with selling or trading a vehicle in.
First question, has anyone ever sold a vehicle that needed some repairs? I'm just wondering how to figure out what a fair amount to ask is.
Second, has anyone ever traded in a vehicle that is worth more than what you're trading for?
I'm just trying to shuffle some stuff around before winter.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Take it in, let them figure out what they will give you, accept it or decline, no reason too disclose anything.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Copy that, it’s different selling private, but been bent over a few times by dealerships

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
http://www.vmrcanada.com/

This works well and very close from my findings.

That's a cool site. It basically confirmed what I thought for the value of my truck within $500.
Then I basically took off 2 times what the repair would roughly cost and am trying to sell it as a mechanics special but it seems most people are basically thinking its now should be half of what its worth. I still drive it every day, it will just probably need to be fixed in the next couple months and I havent decided if I want to go through the hassle

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copy that, it’s different selling private, but been bent over a few times by dealerships

Hoping to find something to swap mine with and give them the hassle. Just wondering if people ever trade for a vehicle worth less than their own or if that's a no go for dealers.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoping to find something to swap mine with and give them the hassle. Just wondering if people ever trade for a vehicle worth less than their own or if that's a no go for dealers.

If trading down at a dealer you are going to get lesson . Lol

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured so. Gives me a range to look for at least. So scratch trading down Haha

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea fawk the dealerships, as long as it's legal i'm happy to screw them anyway possible. You know they do it to everyone they can. But don't even waste your time trying to trade down, no dealer will do it without bending you over on the value on both vehicles so they make a nice profit.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I guess just my only question really is if I'm selling privately as a repair vehicle with disclosure of what needs to be done, is there a way to determine a fair value? I would just like to know if I'm out to lunch on my asking price or if I'm better off having it fixed myself.
The repair is beyond my mechanical skill level so it has to a shop for me to have it done.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whenever you Trade-in always deal on the vehicle first that you were looking at. Set that price and then drop the ....Oh by the way I’m trading in. Then you’ll really know what you’re getting in value As they can’t hide the trade in the deal

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about bringing it to an auction, some have reserves.
If the repair is not noticeable you might do well .

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about bringing it to an auction, some have reserves.
If the repair is not noticeable you might do well .

Hmm that's a thought. I have a general idea how auctions work but have never used one and dont know all the ins and outs of them?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm that's a thought. I have a general idea how auctions work but have never used one and dont know all the ins and outs of them?

There is different types. For regular vehicles some allow reserves, so you know it won't sell for nothing. Commission probably 6-8%. I was at Michener's today and holy fawk, you could buy vehicles off Kijiji and make a buck putting them through, a lot were going just stupid. I've been out of it for years but I don't know WTF people are doing with a lot of them unless they are going south.

What type of repairs does it need? If not noticeable auction may be best route. IMO if selling privately you should disclose to best of your knowledge and not rip someone off. If it's a $20k vehicle and the repair will cost $2k i'd say $17k is a fair selling price, someone has to end up with less in it then buying one that doesn't need the work. More of a discount if the repair amount can't be figured out exactly ahead of them.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is how dealers get the vehicles they then screw the unsuspecting public with. Let the cycle continue, lol

Not any good dealer. They have licensed mechanics, no vehicle should hit the lot without being inspected. They have the opportunity to look it over before buying. And honestly who cares? 99% of dealers would fawk over their own mother if they could make a dollar. They lie and cheat any customer they can. I have no problem giving it back to them. In all my years I have dealt with one dealership that is straight up and fair, the rest are about as honest as politicians. What other business transaction do you deal with where getting lied to is expected?

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The timing chain on it is going to need to be replaced on it soonish. It just rattles on cold starts for a second or so. Fully repaired the truck is probably worth 22k or so. The repairs through the dealer (depending on what all you replace once the motor is open) ranges from about $2400 to 4500 with them doing it all. Parts are $470 to $2500 if someone was doing it as their own project. I was asking 18k or offers and people seem to think that's crazy?
Basically have resorted to trying to find something to trade it in on before winter. I may see what's around here for auctions and look into that too.

Last edited:

lgallant

Reaction score
Drew562 is absolutely right about not mentioning the trade in until last.
Dealerships also usually make more on the trade in than the new vehicle your buying.
It also pays to shop around. When we traded the wife’s Jeep in we were offered $7000 at the dodge dealership and literally walked across the street to Chevy and they offered us $11,000. That’s a big chunk of change for a few steps.

Top Bottom