Trucks with deck

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why? How does the 8' box help with a deck? A 8' deck is just fine supported in a 6.5' box. The rear support legs are right under the middle of the track. Perfect position actually.

Someone could argue that the legality of the overhang from the taillights could be an issue with a short box vs a long box. That’s just one reason.

Then the payload increase on many trucks is higher on a 8’ vs 6.5’ box. Equal equipment on my Ram 6.5 vs the 8 it goes up 400lbs.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone could argue that the legality of the overhang from the taillights could be an issue with a short box vs a long box. That’s just one reason.

Then the payload increase on many trucks is higher on a 8’ vs 6.5’ box. Equal equipment on my Ram 6.5 vs the 8 it goes up 400lbs.

Yep, agree. That is why you flag it or add a light. No biggie. The payload increase is marginal. If it is for sledding only, those two reasons shouldn't be the reason to buy an 8' box.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, agree. That is why you flag it or add a light. No biggie. The payload increase is marginal. If it is for sledding only, those two reasons shouldn't be the reason to buy an 8' box.

Never said it was. You asked how does it help. Gave two legitimate reasons. You want more? Lol

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's your full time sledding rig then go long box with 8' deck, the additional wheelbase positions the rear axle in a much more favourable spot for sufficient weight to be maintained on the front axle, regardless of track length. As for the size of truck, 3/4 or 1 tone is only way to go, in the newer single wheels there is very little difference in the truck, also very little difference in the price, whatever you find the best deal on would be my suggestion.
Good luck, be safe and ride hard

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running a 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7 ccsb and 7ft x deck with extension. This is a new set up for me and it all came down to what fit into my budget. I've had a few 3/4 tons and they work just as good as a 1 ton for my purposes.
346a4cf5f79c9199d4c15ba65242e760.jpg

Quattroman

Reaction score
20161231_115725re.jpg

Ive got a F350 CC long box, Love the 8ft box with a 10' sleddeck on it. So much room for activities. And our 162 fat-cats only stick 6" off the end of the deck

Last edited:

devildogg

Reaction score
I have had decks on an F150 a 2500 Dodge ram and a 1 ton F350/6.7 IMO the only way to go is the one ton, especially if you throw ATV's on there in the summer. Short box with the right deck and supeclamps is just fine and don't forget 1 ton vs 3/4 ton (if you buy new) you pay a higher tax rate on a 3/4 ton. Anything over a 4" lift in BC is starting to be PIA

Last edited:
Top Bottom