Tree wells and hidden dangers

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
I have attached a video link to an actual tree well rescue filmed live.

Although it is centered around skiers, we can all use this imformation as another safety tool while sledding.
I know I have personally been sucked into a tree well trying to dig out sleds.
It can very well happen if a person is thrown from their sled also.
We focus very diligently on avalanches but should also include these risks when in the backcountry.
Great information and another pre-risk assesment.
Happy sledding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jvEYzh_1Sg&feature=player_embedded

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First of all how did he wipe out like that, thats brutal skiing on his behalf, that terrain was very mild thats for sure, no way he should of been tumbling forward, if the guy is that bad at skiing he should be at the resort hills, second it took them forever to get him out, guy with the camera needs to shut up and get his own shovel and ask someone else to hold the guys foot, nobody knows how to work your own equip like yourself, they didnt even start digging for like 3 mins, those guys suck balls is all i can say

Sent from my iPhone using

moto.racerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found it slow as well, panic and only one shovel going it seemed? Then someone saying go down and the mountain and meet up with joe and then what, break out the hot chocolate?

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the style or speed of the rescue or skill of the skier, the reality is that without help he would have been in BIG trouble! My Dad's friend lost his 21 year old son in a similar incident except he had been stabbed in the side by a broken branch falling into the tree well. Since he was the expert skier in his group, he had been skiing "clean up" at the back. By the time the rest of his group realized he had been missing, waited a bit for him at the bottom, and finally found him after going back up and searching it was over 90 minutes. By then he had lost too much blood hanging upside down and had passed away. KEY messages: stay together, stay in contact (radios), have regular stops where everybody re-groups, and if somebody is missing hurry up and find them. Ride safe & have fun!

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How was that helpful!!!!!!

Watch of gropup of people stand around while there friend couldnt breath. 5 people and 1 shovel. Pretty dissapointing to say the least. What happened to the rehersals in the parking lot???? How does someone not know how to take a shovel off a back pack??? Either way this NOT the way to help a buried skier/snowboarder/sledder. Multiple shovels, working in sequence, moving as much snow as possible. There should have been 5 shovels working and moving snow. It took 5 minutes to get him out...... he could have died.. The one guys says, hes screaming... he'll be ok.. unbelievable. Clearly this group has not had the RIGHT training....

Talk to Curtis on Varda, take his course, then you will know what to do in these stuations!

Top Bottom