Trailer brakes

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put new brake assemblies on my sons trailer the other day. My question is with the factory GMC controller dialed down the brakes grab so hard has anyone had this issue.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the brake wire and the brake light wires somehow get crossed?

Generally new brakes are less effective for a little bit until the pads wear in.

Grease on the pads can also cause this.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the brake wire and the brake light wires somehow get crossed?

Generally new brakes are less effective for a little bit until the pads wear in.

Grease on the pads can also cause this.

my thouhts aswell. have you tried it hooked to another truck? Check the voltage on the trailer brake controller at the plug. It should gradually increase from 0 volts to 12 volts as you apply them. Make sure that checks out and its not stuck on or something.

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill have to check the wiring when i get home.
The pads were clean and grease free.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be too high on the backers tire should turn about 10-15 degrees before lockup back off the adjuster and see what happens

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be too high on the backers tire should turn about 10-15 degrees before lockup back off the adjuster and see what happens
Incorrect wiring, never trust trailer colour coding or exactly what Papajake said! 👆👆👆

Attachments

• trailer-wiring-tandem.png
    trailer-wiring-tandem.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 129

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and I get to work on those pussies brakes when they bring them to the shop on a flat deck with a big fine by the cops and weight scales and they are mad pussies when they see the bill because everything has to be fixed before we can release it not just for the brakes without all those pussies I wouldn't have a job

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been called so many names by customers cause im not risking my HD ticket or cvip license for a dirt bag. I didn’t have time to look at the trailer had to work late but i was in a hurry when i wired it ill bet i have a wire crossed

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and I get to work on those pussies brakes when they bring them to the shop on a flat deck with a big fine by the cops and weight scales and they are mad pussies when they see the bill because everything has to be fixed before we can release it not just for the brakes without all those pussies I wouldn't have a job

Weird. I've never failed a roadside inspection.....

But I also don't run garbage so that's probably why.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been called so many names by customers cause im not risking my HD ticket or cvip license for a dirt bag. I didn’t have time to look at the trailer had to work late but i was in a hurry when i wired it ill bet i have a wire crossed

Biggest issue with CVIP is there's no real regulation on what is a pass/fail it's up to the shop/mechanics discretion for most things which is stupid. I've had things get inspected for years then one year they call me on something that's passed 2-3 inspections without a question. Some of it is shops looking for work, but they really need to be more clear on what is allowed and what isn't.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did vehicle inspections in Alberta and BC for almost 50 years--before CVIP--- and the people that say there are no real regulations are 100% WRONG.

Never said no regulations. I said for many things, of course there is concrete pass/fail in regards to tires, brakes, steering, etc. But on many other things there is a lot of grey areas when the motto is if it's on the truck it has to work and it's about safety.

Here's one. If a truck has passenger seat removed, do you need a window crank on that side? Had a shop that passed it, and another that failed it.

If a truck has a pintle hitch air and electric brake plugs and glad hands, if the air lines are not plumbed properly does it pass with glade hands intact? In one shops case yes, another no they said glad hands must be removed.

Those are the things i'm talking about, you could take the same truck to 5 different shops and get 5 different lists of what it needs to pass. There is zero consistency. It should not be up to the shop for so many things, it should be black and white what is ok and what isn't. I could name at least 10 other cases where shops view certain things as fine and others don't.

Top Bottom