Towing behind sled

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Wow!! What a joke! I used to even pull the kids toboganing on the subdivision road behind the sled. I'd be fighting that one for sure!! Hopefully it wasn't RCMP and just those dumbazz county of parkland peace officers.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes, really?? I think we have nicer law enforcement's around here!! Our boys pull each other around non stop on knee boards and do tricks..the other day we had a RCMP member stop and watch and drive away laughing. Maybe because it was on our own private land? Not sure..but that sucks for you!

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I know of a kid that lost some teeth and busted up his mouth pretty good when he was being towed behind a sled and the sled had to stop quick but the plastic disc on a rope did not.
I was fishing at Coal Lake yesterday watching a fellow pulling small kid around on a plastic disc and there was not even a rope involved, the kid appeared to be holding onto the trailer hitch or the back bumper or somehting low because they were sitting down and right behind the quad, the exhaust must have been nasty.

I have always tried to use a solid hitch when pulling anything with the sled or the quad. Thought that it was just more common sense than the Law though. I have never know a boat to have brakes before?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I know of a kid that lost some teeth and busted up his mouth pretty good when he was being towed behind a sled and the sled had to stop quick but the plastic disc on a rope did not.
I was fishing at Coal Lake yesterday watching a fellow pulling small kid around on a plastic disc and there was not even a rope involved, the kid appeared to be holding onto the trailer hitch or the back bumper or somehting low because they were sitting down and right behind the quad, the exhaust must have been nasty.

I have always tried to use a solid hitch when pulling anything with the sled or the quad. Thought that it was just more common sense than the Law though. I have never know a boat to have brakes before?

Rules for the "towee":

If boat stops suddenly - jump off tube.

If sled stops suddenly - fall down on board or roll off plastic disc.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

A boat can stop pretty damn quick without brakes..........

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just go to the police station and get the full writen law.....like sec.2 pargraph F of 4.17 or what ever it is lol. read it and read it and read it, till you can read between the lines just like the cops do. then go to court with your meaning of it. and yes bring up the water skiing behind a boat and even worse a parashoot behind a boat with 600 feet of rope! if I was in your shoes I would have went to jail for other reasons. that is crap. were you on your land? even if you were not I would have asked him to give you a full detail of the law you "might" have broken. never admit to you broke some law. you are incent untill proven guilty! he never proved you were guilty he just threw some stupid "Im a cop and I have more power than you" crap. I had a cop like that in my town that is now on leave because of the crap he tried to pull on me and others. make a note with the detachment sergent (that is what it is called in BC) if there is enough people that bitch about one cop he does get into trouble. that is a bogus law! check it out!

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a fine yesterday @ Sylvan lake for the same reason , pulling my daughter in a toboggan w/ helmuts on . My fine was alot more 172.00 . I took the fine cut the rope & followed the two ahole cops on thier little Elan sleds ripping by them tapped out on the raptor for about 1 hour. I sure hope their guns were full of snow because I let them have it !!!!! Im definatly going to court over this fine .

Daniel

Reaction score
Ya i had the same problem in sylvan lake pulling my 8 year old nephew. The worst thing was trying to tell him why we can't do it any more with out him hating cops. You would think there would be a meth dealer they could go and harass.

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ITS OFFICIAL!!! that is one of the dumbest things i have ever heard!!! fight it dude otherwise it builds on the "im the law so im above you" horse ch!t they pull! your pulling kids not dead sleds i think everyone on here is smart enough to look around for danger approaching in all directions. now im all fired up!! dam cops!!

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That why i stayed away from A.B on family day weekend i had my fill of them last year.I had all my paper work order and they still found a way pi.. me off
in front of my son they were complain where my plate was installed.Each and
every day we lose a little freedom.I guess it just easier go after the regular
Joe than after real crooks and harden criminals.Sorry that was my inner voice
coming out!:realmad:

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SORRY STILL MAD a few years ago we had old 500 panther we tie nine GT racer behind full kids two people on the sled one face backward to watch
the kids then round and round field and the kids had blast and nobody ever got hurt and now the kids are now 16 to 18 they still remember that and still laugh about it .The old family station wagon (76 panther) still running and ready for the next generation oh god grandkids eek

big_AL08

Reaction score
Trailer hitch
9 No person shall tow a trailer, sleigh, cutter or other vehicle
behind an off-highway vehicle unless the hitch or attachment used
(a) is designed so that the vehicle being towed substantially
follows in the tracks of the towing vehicle,
(b) is strong enough to safely control the vehicle being towed,
(c) is not more than 1.83 metres long, and
(d) prevents the towed vehicle from colliding with the towing
vehicle during travel downhill and when the towing
vehicle stops.

Taken from the off road vehicles act.
Alberta Queen's Printer: Legislation PDF
page 5

Last edited:

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SORRY STILL MAD a few years ago we had old 500 panther we tie nine GT racer behind full kids two people on the sled one face backward to watch
the kids then round and round field and the kids had blast and nobody ever got hurt and now the kids are now 16 to 18 they still remember that and still laugh about it .The old family station wagon (76 panther) still running and ready for the next generation oh god grandkids eek

dont dare do that in a public space!! $513 ticket if you add it up! plus someone backwards on the sled!? uh oh better check the seat to make sure it doesnt say no riders (another ticket) and what else hmmmmmm let me think like a dick er i mean THE LAW hmmmmmm, oh overlength (ticket), permit for multiple passenger (ticket), check drivers licence no bus edorsement (ticket) insured for passengers? (ticket) wow might as well sign over the monthly paycheck!!! 2nd rant over!!

big_AL08

Reaction score
I happed tto be going thru the act to try and answer a couple of questions of my own
1. is it legal to ride in the ditches alongside of a highway secondary or other
2. if the answer to the above question is yes what is the speedlimit?
3. (I think I know the answer to this one) I currently don't display my plate it's under the seat I think I could get a ticket for this has anyone gotten this ticket ?

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, just read big al08s post makes sense but still stupid!! missed that before i had rant # 2!!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always keep plates under seat and will continue to untill I get a ticket. I was at the snow mo days this weak-end and they were stopping every single person coming into town and never bug us on sleds. They are just plain stupid and are getting more and more people to hate cops.(wounder why)

Top Bottom