Tips & Tricks for buying used vehicle at a dealership

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about telling them it's gonna be financed until the deal is made, an THEN telling them I'm gonna pay cash?

You can try. Either cash or financing they get paid.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you are better off saying you will pay cash, that's often how you get such a steal in the interest rates, they cover part of the borrowing cost in the cost of the vehicle, gm is famous for this on their 0% interest sales.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey boys and girls. After a loooong hiatus from this, I'm likely going to be buying a used vehicle from a dealership in the next short time period. I'm wondering what tips you all could give me for getting the absolute lowest price from these sales people? Any and all little tricks you could give me for wheeling and dealing are MUCH appreciated.

In case it matters, this will be a cash deal in the 27 - 30K neighbourhood.
Heard the Ford dealer at Ft Sask is good to deal with.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Ok. So I went and drove the unit from the dealer that I quite like. Then the sales lady brought it to my shop this morning so I could give it a good check over. (It checked out pretty well perfect, btw) And we haven't talked price AT ALL yet. Not one single mention of dollar amounts.

It is now 3 hours after she left with the unit, and she just sent me this email...

Hi X-Treme

Just touching base to see what your thoughts are on the Avalanche. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
N

I was going to respond to her with this, and wanted your opinions...

Hi N,

Well, I am definitely interested. It looks and drives great, and I'm certainly looking for an Avalanche. That I know. However, there is another one that I would like to have a look at, as it is one year newer, only has slightly more km, is advertised as being fully loaded with NAV, sunroof, etc, and the asking price is $3500 less.

X-Treme

PS.... All the details I provided to her about the other one are true, but I haven't seen it yet. Hers is fully loaded exactly how I want it, and I like the color better. To be honest, I really do want the dealership one.

What are your thoughts on my response, and do you think I should get involved with pricing via email (I'd rather), or should I be working pricing face to face? Truth be told, if she would beat or match the price (or even be higher but very close) she'd have a deal.

And... GO!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd offer her what you want to pay and if she says no tell her you're going to the other one on your list.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Just talked to a car hauler driver and he said that 9 trucks are hauling used trucks and cars a week to Spokane . Also people driving them down 18 trucks a week from the Red Deer area????????

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would ask about a "refugee discount " .....
however ask for a male salesman prior to springing this on the said dealership......

Top Bottom