The shifter on my polaris sportsman keeps freezing up ?

hondalrd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shifter on my 2005 polaris sportsman freezes up when it is cold out. I am unable to move the gear shifter untill it thaws out. Is this a common problem with this model or am I missing something else? Thank you in advance.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
The shifter on my 2005 polaris sportsman freezes up when it is cold out. I am unable to move the gear shifter untill it thaws out. Is this a common problem with this model or am I missing something else? Thank you in advance.

you synthetic oil in it or just standard?

Reaction score
I have the same problem.

I took the plastic cover LOOSE, on the right side, where the shifting shaft goes into the right side of the gearbox, and when I pried it out a little, a bunch of water drained out of it.
Maybe this will solve it?
I don't know. I cannot seem to get it any further off. And I am afraid that I may break it, if I try too hard.
Nate

Reaction score
OK, I got the plastic plate off. There was still ice behind it. This is a gear box cover, that covers the gear shifting mechanism, and it has 2 shafts, with gears on them. Mine was full of water and ice.
Slowly worked the cover off, and the gear select sensor, too.
Cleaned it all up, greased it all, and re-assembled it with silicone seal.
The water behind this plate, likely came past the O rings on the shafts. Maybe from a trip to the car wash.

Mine is good to go now.

I deliberately left a small hole at the bottom, to drain it, if water ever gets back there again.

Nate

Top Bottom