Superclamps question? Legal/Illegal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Ok, let me start by saying I work in the oilfield (or whats left of it, thanks Stelmach ya putz) so I am well versed in load securement and the rules and regulations. I have commercial insurance on everything, and have to scale under certain conditions.

I use Superclamps in the trailer, but no one can see. With all the new rules about quads, sleds needing 4 points of restraint, are Superclamps now illegal? I want to install them on my deck, but dont want to spend the money if they are now considered illegal.

Thanks

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would consider the superclamp two points of clamping and put two straps in the rear. Cause if you want to argue about it each ski is clamped down so in theory should be classed as two points.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes agreed but both skis are tied to the deck by one point so reall you are only fastened to the trailer by 1 point.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a reliable source tell us that they weren't legal :eek: We have fronts and rears on an open 2-place. Not changing it though, but word is they aren't legal wtf???? Agree with magnet, they are definitely only attached at one point in front for each sled...just cuz it lays over both skis, it's not attached in two spots...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
You both hit the nail on the head...

I agree with both answers...the clamp holds down both skis, so 2 points, but then attaches to the deck/trailer with only one point, so is it one or two LOL

I have another arguement, if you use 2 straps, but both go to the same tie-rail on a trailer, isnt that the same concept as the clamp...I know the DOT guys can be real tards at times, but straps are cheap in comparison to the Superclamp, so I am trying to determine before I spend the bucks. I will ALWAYS use them in the trailer, but this is for my deck.

Thanks

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
We had a reliable source tell us that they weren't legal :eek: We have fronts and rears on an open 2-place. Not changing it though, but word is they aren't legal wtf???? Agree with magnet, they are definitely only attached at one point in front for each sled...just cuz it lays over both skis, it's not attached in two spots...

I have heard the same thing, this is why I am asking...

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have another arguement, if you use 2 straps, but both go to the same tie-rail on a trailer, isnt that the same concept as the clamp...

True dat Longhorn....but I guess it still is two straps...tied two spots...whether same spot or not there are still two seperate straps should one bust loose...

Curious what you find out...we just got this told to us last weekend so interested in finding out more.

When we strapped our sleds, we used one strap on the back and looped through, tied on each side..guess that wouldn't fly now either even though it's tied in two seperate spots, it's still one strap...not two acting independently????

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I have been calling Superclamps but just answering machine, so I have emailed them, to see what they say...

I called who I *thought* was superclamps, but it was a distrubutor in the US, they didnt have a clue what I was talking about LOL

I will post the response from Superclamp...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been calling Superclamps but just answering machine, so I have emailed them, to see what they say...

I called who I *thought* was superclamps, but it was a distrubutor in the US, they didnt have a clue what I was talking about LOL

I will post the response from Superclamp...

Please do. I have been selling Superclamps for years, but haven't heard anything about them being banned. Kinda crazy if that's a fact, I would trust one Superclamp a lot more than 2 straps.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Superclamp the skis, one across the deck over skid and one off the back end of the sled. 4 points

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see that you can now get load rated loops for the superclamp(the part that bolts to the trailer).

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im interested in hearing a response from Superclamps. If they dont get back to you maybe Jay @ Marathon could give you an answer of another place to look

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
So heres the deal...

I just got off the phone with Randal (who happens to be in Cancun right now), feel bad bothering him on his holiday, but he was very helpful.

Him and I both went through the same cargo securement docs, that Alberta Transportation uses, and the N American specs as well. Since the clamp is just that...'a clamping device' as opposed to a 'tie-down' there are different rules. I have heard many people talk about the whole '4-point' thing, and we cannot find this reference anywhere in the new rules. Only rule changes for 2010/2011 are the rules that affect straps, which now must be weight rated to comply.

The Superclamp II is weight rated and there are weight rated attachment points available now as well.

Randal pointed out the DNR, Sherriff, RCMP, Fire departments are all on the list of customers.

He has invited anyone that has concerns or issues to email him, or if ticketed, ever, he said let him know.

Seems like a very great guy...

Bottom line, there should be no issue using the Superclamp product from a legal standpoint...

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So heres the deal...

I just got off the phone with Randal (who happens to be in Cancun right now), feel bad bothering him on his holiday, but he was very helpful.

Him and I both went through the same cargo securement docs, that Alberta Transportation uses, and the N American specs as well. Since the clamp is just that...'a clamping device' as opposed to a 'tie-down' there are different rules. I have heard many people talk about the whole '4-point' thing, and we cannot find this reference anywhere in the new rules. Only rule changes for 2010/2011 are the rules that affect straps, which now must be weight rated to comply.

The Superclamp II is weight rated and there are weight rated attachment points available now as well.

Randal pointed out the DNR, Sherriff, RCMP, Fire departments are all on the list of customers.

He has invited anyone that has concerns or issues to email him, or if ticketed, ever, he said let him know.

Seems like a very great guy...

Bottom line, there should be no issue using the Superclamp product from a legal standpoint...

yeah randall is a great guy couple months back i emailed him on a saturday afternoon around supper time
asking him about the tiedowns for the aluma trailers( slot in floor)
he phones me 930 that night with the news that he has the updated ones he could hook me up with ,,,, met him sunday afternoon near his house and got the proper attachments

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Yeah, I asked him if he had a few minutes to discuss the rules and such, or if there was a better time, I would call back.

Hes like 'no now is just fine...' Later in the conversation, about 10 mins later he mentions he is in Cancun...I felt like a dork, but oh well, definitely believes in his product, and offers top notch customer service.

My hat is off to him for sure...

234blair

Reaction score
Superclamps is a great product. Absolutely no doubt about that, BUT you need two tie downs on the back to be safe. Who cares about legal, your first priority should be that it does not fly forward and take your own head off in a crash. Can't post anything on S&M if you have lost your head.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Well, you make a point, but I think each case is different, my big concern was on a deck. Any mountain sled will hang off the deck, and most people will tie the machine 'forward' as they pick a spot rearward of the end of the deck and bring the straps forward...

Then, they tie the front either straight down or even forward depending on where your tie hooks are located, so in essence both ends are being pulled 'forward'...In a crash or even sudden braking the sled can 'lift' as it moves forward...

With the Superclamps, your skis cannot lift at all, and even if you used ONLY the front clamps, the skis might move forward a bit but will catch on something...If the rear clamp is used in addition to the front, there is very little chance of the sled moving forward at all.

In my opinion you can use 6 or heck put 10 straps on a sled, and it still has a chance to move forward in a collision because of how sled decks are designed and the fact that all of our sleds are longer than the deck.

Now, imagine a 120, what are they, about 4' long?? Put that in the center of the deck so that you could pull forward with one set of straps, and backwards with the other set, and I will agree with you all day long.

I still think there are very few systems as good as the Superclamp, but hey, I am new to the sport also...

Let me ask this question to all those with many more years in the sport than myself...

'Have you heard any horror stories about sleds coming off a deck or trailer while secured with Superclamps'...and not due to human error (we have all heard those ones LOL)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's tough to say if you would be considered legal if a DOT wanted to get picky. Technically a vehicle is suppose to be tied down to the frame, and the skis are not part of the frame and can come off it would be argued. Never heard of anyone being ticketed for superclamps but it is more then possible. I think the only way I would go into B.C with my truck with them would be a strap on the front and rear to go with each superclamp. Not worth chancing a ticket IMO.

I am 100% for the fronts but the rears....I believe if you don't strap them they could break or come loose from the rear clamp.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The problem with this is where the clamp bolt is placed in the deck...through a piece of 3/4 " plywood. This is your anchor point for the clamp. The key thing here is obviously proper tie down proceedure. Do tie downs and anchor points support the weight being secured. A properly tied down sled/quad can't move 5 ways. Front to back or side to side and pulling down. On the commercial side of things the DOT wants to have it so if your vehicle is upside down nothing falls off using "legal" tie down requirements. If you get lazy tieing things down it will eventually bite you in the A$$ :d

Attachments

• DCP_3966.jpg
    DCP_3966.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 169
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom