Summer time!! M1000 turbo build! Any recommendations???

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Well it's not too far away now I guess and we'll all be frolickin around the mtns again, (yeah I look at the brighter side, 4-5 months left yet :( ).I'm about to start ordering parts for the old m1000. First of all. Right now, it's an 08 sno pro, 162, full speedwerx setup and reeds, and I'm not quite happy with the power for this year. I consider myself to be a decent mtn rider now so I'm figuring it's turbo time. Anyways, at the last trip of last year, the sled gave me it's first bit of bad luck since I had it. I'm thinking the base gasket is blown, every time I try to start it now it doesn't, just pisses out a bit of oil everywhere. I had a hard time starting it from the first day of my last trip, sometimes it would take 30 pulls to start. And all of a sudden I shut it off at the top of a hill and it hasn't started since. Anyone have any insight to that? Anyways, if it is just a new top end, I was gonna do that before turbo anyways as preventative maintenance. So on to my big question... I'm wonderin which turbo kit would fit me the best, as this would be my first turbo sled. I want something that's reliable, easy to tune and install. Money isn't a factor, (gotta love fort Mac oil sands lol), so any suggestions would be great. I'm also going with a timbersled rear skid setup with either a 2.5" or 3" camo ex track. And also gonna order the bdx diamond drve with lightweight shaft. Any advice on which gears?? Any advice on my build would be awesome!! Thanks guys!

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If money is not a factor, don't waste your time. Ditch the pig. Get yourself into any one of the newer style chassis- Cat, Doo, or Poo. You will save yourself the grief of trying to make that M1000 work which from what I have seen in the hills it won't- at least not to the level of something in the newer chassis'. Thats my 2cents.:)

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If money is not a factor, don't waste your time. Ditch the pig. Get yourself into any one of the newer style chassis- Cat, Doo, or Poo. You will save yourself the grief of trying to make that M1000 work which from what I have seen in the hills it won't- at least not to the level of something in the newer chassis'. Thats my 2cents.:)

Well until this year his "08 M1000 was in a current chasis. I own the exact same sled(until it gets bought anyways). And i can say that it works very well. A turbo'd M1000 can be a crazy beast depending on how much boost you run. On a dyno in edmonton at 10lbs boost it made 250hp and 198ft.lbs of torque, and that was before we did some upgrades to the kit that included larger throttle bodies and stuff like that. I have found that the boondocker kit's work well and are fairly easy to tune, a freind has a twisted turbo kit and he has a hell of a time keeping a y-pipe on it. The y-pipe's are constantly splitting, we put a new supposed turbo y=pipe on it last year but havn't got any feedback yet as to if it's better because buddy never made it out to the mtn's last winter to run it. That being said he does run it at 14lbs boost.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kidder17, that's my plan... But not this year. I want to wait to see what the new 2012 cats are like first. Not a fan of buying first year production stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the m chasis even now is still the king of the hills. I hope I don't offend anyone when I say it, but I wouldn't be caught dead on a poo, doo, or yammy. Nothing against them, it's just I'd be eating too many words if my riding buddies seen me with one haha. Anyways, back to topic, I want something that's gonna give me the least trouble. I was thinking about a pump gas boondocker kit from coderedperformace or something for 5600$, but then I realized I can get a race gas twisted turbo for an extra 1000$ or whatever it is. So I'm just wondering what you guys would advise? Something that would give me 240-280 hp would be nice, mainly cuz my buddies are riding mcxpress 240 kits on nytros. Also, do you have any comments on the skid setup I'm thinking about? And gears for dd?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well before you totally settle on a skid choice make sure to check out K-MOD suspensions, they build a bunch of stuff for turbo sleds specifically. With the boondocker kit the nice thing is the fact that they dont make a pump gas and a race gas kit anymore it's all one kit and whethyer you run race gas or not just depends on how much boost you run. Boon docker also has the "push to pass" button, what it does is it's kinda like a nos button except all's it does is give you a couple extra lbs of boost as long as you hold it down. so if for some reason you need a little more track speed or power to get over the top of a hill you can just hit the button for a short bit. Also with the B/D kit they have the electronic boost controller that makes it super easy to adjust boost levels, just pushin buttons, you dont have to change springs or adjust rod lengths to adjust boost levels. If i was you i's also look at getting a set of the oversize throttle bodies. Another thing to keep in mind is if you are comparing you M-series to a T-nytro you dont actually need to make as much hp to run with them because of the weight difference. HP to WEIGHT ratio.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone also with alot of info about the M1000 turbo is Tim at Chetwynd Arctic Cat. He rode a pump gas m1000 all last season.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that about the b/d kit... I seen it on the coderedperformance site that it gives u an option for a pump gas kit with no intercooler, one with a mini intercooler, and a race gas kit with a large intercooler. Also, what kinds of pipes and reeds should I run with that kit? I have the speedwerx Pipe now and the vforce3 reeds. I will chEck into the kmod skid for sure. I know timbersled is a well known suspension company and usually has a good product. I figured I'd go with something that's proven. Still unsure of what kind of gears to run. I see a lot of sleds with 55/65 gears. Not sure what kind of difference it will make.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will want to run stock reeds or one of the new turbo reeds, v-force will not stand up to a turbo at all. AS far as exhaust i'd go with the stock pipe or one that is built for a turbo. The speedwerx and other aftermarket pipes are not built with thick enough material to handle to stress that boost pressure puts on them. I would not gear it down especially if your installing a turbo kit. Check-out boondocker canada's website to see what is currently available for kits. As for suspensions K-MOD has been around for several years just hasn't been up into canada much due to not many dealers up here.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I were you I wouldn't put a 3" track on, you can't get them in 15" wide. I would be nervous about cutting down a $1000 plus track.

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
I know of a few guys that have cut down 3" Camo Extremes to fit in the cat and they have worked great no issues to report.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nahh I'll pass on the Polaris.. Lol. Altho I like the new pros, they're nice to ride and has tons of power, I'm just stubbornly brand loyal I guess haha. I read a few threads on here I believe and someone said if I get the bdx dd lite, which I was gonna do anyways, I can run a 3" track. Not 100% sure tho... Thanks glen for the advice. Do u know who makes turbo reeds/pipes? I sold my stockers last winter ... Lol. ALSO, I will be selling my 162 snopro skid, and the powerclaw track I have now, if anyone's interested let me know. I can have it delivered as far as red deer. I'm not sure on price, make me an offer. And also, ill be selling my speedwerx y pipe, pipe, mbrp can, vdorce3 reeds, speedwerx intake, old diamond drive and trackshaft, also have a boondocker box to go with it, damaged a little but works fine.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol I actually was gonna do a 1200 turbo kit, but just the fact that it costs 9g for the kit alone, I don't want 400hp cuz I know I'll get curious as to what it feels like, I'll end up in a situation that I don't want to be in, 400 hp can take ya in a lot of places that I don't think I'm ready for hahahaha. Do u know how much trimming is involved?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya need to take a half inch off each side. paddles go full width.,. supposidly its not hard to do if you take your time but ive never done it.

the 2.5 camo extreme is a huge upgrade in itself and you wont ahve any clearance issues either.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, did u hear any truth to the bdx dd part? I was told the only reason you need to trim is cuz the track lugs will hit off the dd or trackshaft or something... :s Also, how many tooth drivers would ya recommend? 10,9 or 8? I haven't even looked at what I have now. Kinda shooting in the dark on that one.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the 3" track on mine & cut the track nubs on DD side. I also have the BDX lite with 58/62 gears No Turbo though. The only reason I geared down a touch was to try & keep the clutching cooler pulling those 3" lugs. Also on the outer lugs I tin snipped 45's for the upper cooler lines. No issues on track clearance. Some of my center lugs have torn which happened the first couple rides & never did get any worse

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the 3" track really worth the trouble over a 2.5"? I don't think with a turbo the sled will work too hard to turn over the track, it's just if a 2.5" is a direct swap, I mean there has to be some downfalls of a 3" track, like trail riding up around fort mac, doesn't happen often but I can't imagine it would be very good on the lugs. Maybe I'm second guessing myself here. Would the track clear the bdx dd if u didn't trim them?

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not a big deal to trim the track. Make sure when the nubs get taken off that you grind the track clips "flat" or they'll dig into the sliders. The 3" track is an excellent upgrade

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I seen a 1200 turbo in Smithers this fall, that thing was crazy! He told me a friend of his was building a 1400 twin turbo. That thing would be fawkin nuts! If you ran a 3" on yours on trails ice scratcher's would be a must. But what ever you do a turbo anything is sweet!

Top Bottom