Stereo

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay need help, i put a stereo in the mustang. works great, except for the whining noise. the power and rca cords are on opposite sides of the car. I heard you can buy a noise resistor or something along those lines.....anyone have any other suggestions?

By whining noise i mean it sounds like the damn thing has a supercharger haha. the more gas you give it the more of the whining noise you get coming out the speakers..

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay need help, i put a stereo in the mustang. works great, except for the whining noise. the power and rca cords are on opposite sides of the car. I heard you can buy a noise resistor or something along those lines.....anyone have any other suggestions?

By whining noise i mean it sounds like the damn thing has a supercharger haha. the more gas you give it the more of the whining noise you get coming out the speakers..

check your ground connection

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your ground connection

i did that.....i had it grounded from a bolt in the trunk...decided to make the ground true and ran a 10 guage wire from the amp in the trunk to the neg. side on the battery still the same...

also i bought a Noise supressor and hooked it up and it filters the sound out but reduces the volume tremendously...like without the noise suppresor with the volume at 26 it would blow your ear drums...with the noise supressor at 26 you can't hear anything...have to have the volume at 60 and you can hear it alright but not the best...

Im stumped. :confused:

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
i did that.....i had it grounded from a bolt in the trunk...decided to make the ground true and ran a 10 guage wire from the amp in the trunk to the neg. side on the battery still the same...

also i bought a Noise supressor and hooked it up and it filters the sound out but reduces the volume tremendously...like without the noise suppresor with the volume at 26 it would blow your ear drums...with the noise supressor at 26 you can't hear anything...have to have the volume at 60 and you can hear it alright but not the best...

does the noise only come when vehicle is running, or when the vehicle is off as well?

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What year of Mustang is it and do you have an aftermarket coil ?
I had the same problem with my 63 Vette and my 66 Mustang
It had something to do with the coil and the distributor (too much voltage)
I needed to get a special resistor and it fixed it right up.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your ground wire needs to be the same size as your power wire. Also, don't run it to your battery, ground it the biggest piece of metal you can, and keep it as short as possible.

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does the noise only come when vehicle is running, or when the vehicle is off as well?

yes and no...while its running you can hear a whining noise....so i decided to try something... i putt the key in the acc postion and hooked up a batery charger..guess what you can hear the humm of the battery charger charging the battery through the speakers

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What year of Mustang is it and do you have an aftermarket coil ?
I had the same problem with my 63 Vette and my 66 Mustang
It had something to do with the coil and the distributor (too much voltage)
I needed to get a special resistor and it fixed it right up.

well looks like you can help me then...its a 66 mustang. yes i have an aftermarket coil. MSD....what kinda resistor if you dont mind me asking.
101_0214.jpg

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To be honest I don't remember..
But I can find out for you tomorrow !
It has to do with the Coil..

Attachments

• cars.jpg
    cars.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 30

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What you want to do is run your power directly from your battery with only a fuse in line, 25 will be plenty as the CD player will also have one on it. Run your ground to something like the heavy duty bracket that the dash is mounted to, or if you can to the chassis, and make sure where you mount it is grounded down to bare metal to get a good connection.

Like said use a short piece of wire for your ground, less distance for the negative current to have to travel.

Do this both for the amp and for the CD player for grounds, just don't use the same location, as the amp in the trunk should go somewhere to the chassis if you can, route it and hide it under the carpet or the trunk mat.

I have done these in my classic cars, both a 46 ford and a 53 chevy and have had no problems with the coil. I am guessing since you are using an MSD ignition that it is not a factory electrical system, so no worries about what voltage systems being uncompatable.

I did have this problem on my 98 sebring and the problem was that the ground in my amp was not good and I was getting feedback from the electrical system in my subwoofers. EXACT same problem you are having but instead of the stereo it was the amp. Sent you a PM also with my cell number, give me a call later when you get ready to work on it, can help ya where I can...

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright no problem! thanks :beer:

Okay, here is the scoop...
The problem that we both had/have was with the grounding system.
In older vehicles, when you ground something to the frame (all grounds end up being connected together because of the frame rails, the whole car is one big ground)
So what you need is a $12.00 resistor placed in the ground wire for the stereo this will stop the whinning noise.
My Buddy told me that you can go down to your local car audio / auto parts store.
explain your problem and ask for a resistor to put on your ground wire.
I went out and looked at mine and that's exactly what was done.
But unfortunately the resistor has no markings or part # on it
My Buddy assures me that if you put in a resistor the problem will go away.
Its because its a older car (newer vehicles don't have this problem mainly because of their unibody frame and stops grounding from going through the whole vehicle.
It does have to do with the coil because the whinning goes up when you rev up the engine. But I was wrong that it has nothing to do with the voltage, but does have to do with the grounding and you need the resistor.
or ground the stereo somewhere else than the coil and that is hard to do in older vehicles when the whole car is basically the same ground.
I hope this helps !!:cool: :beer::beer:

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with some of that, and I do agree that it is hard to find a good ground in a vehicle made of all metal.

Here is why it isnt the coil. On the car the bad ground is caussing this becuase it is not able to discharge the extra voltage and is creating its own signal from the wiring in the car that goes to the speakers. The whining is actually the alternator and all the signal being picked up is from that, as you step on the gas the serpentene belt will spin the alternator faster, hence the rise in sound from your RPM.

I agree that putting a resistor in the ground wire will help with this, as it will limit the amount of resistance needed on the ground wire needed to ground the signal. One thing to be careful is that by resisting the amount of ground you can cause some big problems in your electronics, think of it as funnel with all this votage trying to sqeeze through, it can get VERY hot and fry wiring, just somethign to watch for.

If you try a couple different locations to try and ground it to you will find a good proper location to ground it to that is not linked to the other grounds in the car, it will work. :beer:

M7 Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys....

rob will work on it in a few....if i cant get it i will surely give you a call and talk to ya..

have a guy coming to look at my dirtbike...hopefully he buys it

Top Bottom