Starlink

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
It will turn and aim itself.
Finally received my dish today, quick question for those that have already set it up...I see that it will move horizontally ( up over and down) by itself( say it will move from the north to the south) but how did you know where to aim the vertical plane of the face so that it can do its horizontal aiming? Should I mount it so that the dish will move from the northwest to the southeast or opposite ? I’ve tried searching online but no luck, and the instruction poster board is 3 pictures, will the app tell me which way to face it? I won’t be crawling up onto my roof until the weekend. Hopefully this makes sense.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally received my dish today, quick question for those that have already set it up...I see that it will move horizontally ( up over and down) by itself( say it will move from the north to the south) but how did you know where to aim the vertical plane of the face so that it can do its horizontal aiming? Should I mount it so that the dish will move from the northwest to the southeast or opposite ? I’ve tried searching online but no luck, and the instruction poster board is 3 pictures, will the app tell me which way to face it? I won’t be crawling up onto my roof until the weekend. Hopefully this makes sense.

Mount the dish (wherever there are no obstructions) and plug it in! You’re now a certified starlink installer

Also, another batch of 60 went up this morning.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s cool, you can zoom in and it’s live. See what’s over your location. They slowly move as well.

Yeah and you can see the clusters that were recently launched just floating out there in a giant line. I think there are 3 clusters right now. Also there is a tab at the top to keep an eye out on starlink competitor OneWeb as well.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Yeah and you can see the clusters that were recently launched just floating out there in a giant line. I think there are 3 clusters right now. Also there is a tab at the top to keep an eye out on starlink competitor OneWeb as well.

Wow, another one, Elon is so far ahead though, He should buy them out, there will be so many satellites soon. https://www.oneweb.world/

There will be satellite wars soon, the sky will be full of them.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watched part of this last night, in it Elon states that the most expensive part of Starlink is launching the satellites, it's actually cheaper to build the 60 satellites than to put them in orbit, even when completely reusing the Falcon 9 boosters and fairings.

He's definitely got a different view on manufacturing, as he says designing a rocket is easy, building the manufacturing system to build them efficiently and cheap is the hard part.

SpaceX has set a bar that will be hard to beat, Blue Origin was established before SpaceX and has yet to have a rocket achieve orbit, meanwhile SpaceX is well on its way to providing high speed internet anywhere on the globe, using a constellation of satellites the size of which has never been attempted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8smJFaKYE&ab_channel=TheSpaceArchive

Last edited:

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now all they have to do is start shipping out their equipment....been a couple of months at least for me and my buddies....

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Glad I don't own shares in Telesat, because I'd be dumping them now. They are trying to compete with the deepest pockets on this earth, they will never succeed. The article claims Telesat can launch satellites cheaper than SpaceX, how? SpaceX is the cheapest cost to orbit, I doubt SpaceX will sell a competitor flights for less than cost. Oh but wait, they signed an agreement with Blue Origin for launch services, a company that in 20 years has never delivered a rocket, never mind a payload to orbit.

Just another way the Government will piss away a $billion+.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad I don't own shares in Telesat, because I'd be dumping them now. They are trying to compete with the deepest pockets on this earth, they will never succeed. The article claims Telesat can launch satellites cheaper than SpaceX, how? SpaceX is the cheapest cost to orbit, I doubt SpaceX will sell a competitor flights for less than cost. Oh but wait, they signed an agreement with Blue Origin for launch services, a company that in 20 years has never delivered a rocket, never mind a payload to orbit.

Just another way the Government will piss away a $billion+.

This exactly. Oneweb has had a billion dollar government (UK) injection as well.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My fear is that the feds will see that star link is way ahead of telesat and put their fingers on the scale to make it more favourable for telesat. As we all know the government sticking its fingers into business is never a good thing....

Top Bottom