Speaking about drunk drivers....

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Most of the serious quadding accidents and deaths that we hear about in the news(except with kids) are caused by drunk riding.This comes from the family member who flies STARS out to these tragedies. He told us yesterday that he has already hauled out two people who are now quadriplegic, one dead and numerous serious injuries. And it not yet the long weekend. They are amazed how stupid people are. Oh yeah, no helmets either in most cases. And he agrees it gives the sport a very black eye.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We are all well aware of your feelings on this topic. The no helmet thing is everywhere and I agree it's terrible....We saw dozens of riders yesterday with no helmet....but I do ride with pops and will continue to....am I drunk? no......would I jump in a tuck and barrel down the highway? no.

Moderation is a wonderful concept......Just sayin

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
We are all well aware of your feelings on this topic. The no helmet thing is everywhere and I agree it's terrible....We saw dozens of riders yesterday with no helmet....but I do ride with pops and will continue to....am I drunk? no......would I jump in a tuck and barrel down the highway? no.

Moderation is a wonderful concept......Just sayin

If you won't ride down the highway in your truck because of a few "pops" then why would you go quadding? What is the difference. Just asking. Not looking for an argument people, discussion.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Moderation is a wonderful concept......Just sayin"

Guess it depends on ones definintion or idea of what moderation is....just sayin'. :)

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moderate drinking is fine under any circumstances.:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: Crown Royal of ciurse whoops cant spell anymore to many drinks.:d:d:d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If you won't ride down the highway in your truck because of a few "pops" then why would you go quadding? What is the difference. Just asking. Not looking for an argument people, discussion.

Valid question.....

ATV.....when I ride my quad I max out at 60km/h (rarely ever hit that) I like mud and spend as much time on a winch as I do actually riding, I always wear a helmet, and I cause no danger to others.

Truck.....Paved highway with 110km/h speed limit, no helmet, surrounded by others, always paying attention to the actions of others.

Sled...many of the same attributes as an ATV...except arm stretching fast very quick reflexes required....2 beer limit, same as a vehicle.

I like Beer and can consume 8-10 without being "DRUNK"...Legally impaired? you bet your azz, able to walk a line, speak without sluring, stand without wobbling ect....yes.

I as well am not trying to argue because realistically your point of view is the "publically accepted view"....my only issue may be that some day you ride by see me having a beer (which may very well be my first of the day) and drive on by nose in the air because you feel I'm not worth a hello and a quick chat because I happen to be having a beer.

As for moderation...views are different I agree....Me having 6 beer is equal to my wife having one

Cheers:beer:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but as far as the helmet issue goes howcome these guys that work for the town in Stony Plain driving around the utvs pickin the garbage,waterplants and whatever else they do don't have to wear helmets? If one of them ever got hit they would be dead or very close to it. I know helmet won't prevent the accident but it may lessen the injury. And i am sure if someone got killed in that type of situation the town would be up the creek.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I know this is off topic but as far as the helmet issue goes howcome these guys that work for the town in Stony Plain driving around the utvs pickin the garbage,waterplants and whatever else they do don't have to wear helmets? If one of them ever got hit they would be dead or very close to it. I know helmet won't prevent the accident but it may lessen the injury. And i am sure if someone got killed in that type of situation the town would be up the creek.

Obviously they do not have a proper work procedure for use of non caged mobile equipment....if someone were hurt or killed, you bet your azz they are up the creek. Municipalities are an "employer" and operate under OH&S regulation. They would be charged under OH&S law and face penalties of up to 500K. As well the foreman/supervisor could be charged seperately as a person responsible for the direction of work.

Any employer is required to take all steps deemed "reasonably practicable" to ensure the safety of employees and others effected by their work. Reasonably practicable will be determined by current industry best practice and input from other employers conducting similar work.

Helmets are not law for citizens, but they are for workers.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
No I won't drive by you with my nose in the air, the point I was trying to say was the fact that most of the serious accidents that my family member sees ARE because of alcohol consumption while riding quad. If the general public and government officials realize this than our riding area's won't be in jeopardy. Those of us who ride safe and sober won't all be painted with the same sordid black brush.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valid question.....

ATV.....when I ride my quad I max out at 60km/h (rarely ever hit that) I like mud and spend as much time on a winch as I do actually riding, I always wear a helmet, and I cause no danger to others.

Truck.....Paved highway with 110km/h speed limit, no helmet, surrounded by others, always paying attention to the actions of others.

Sled...many of the same attributes as an ATV...except arm stretching fast very quick reflexes required....2 beer limit, same as a vehicle.

I like Beer and can consume 8-10 without being "DRUNK"...Legally impaired? you bet your azz, able to walk a line, speak without sluring, stand without wobbling ect....yes.

I as well am not trying to argue because realistically your point of view is the "publically accepted view"....my only issue may be that some day you ride by see me having a beer (which may very well be my first of the day) and drive on by nose in the air because you feel I'm not worth a hello and a quick chat because I happen to be having a beer.

As for moderation...views are different I agree....Me having 6 beer is equal to my wife having one

Cheers:beer:

Very well said Bogger....your attitude mirrors mine and most of the fellas I ride with. No booze on the sleds...too fast. Helmet on, max 20-40km/hr, and usually stuck when on the quad....a couple of beers over the course of the day is fine. Bring out yer empties, ALWAYS.

Top Bottom