So when can i stop paying my property taxes to the Regional District of East Kootney?

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
My cousins own the property on both sides of the road as you turn off highway 3 and head up to Jewel Lake. Nice country. Fire came real close to the house on the right a few years ago
Doesn’t jewel lake have some myth about a 50# rainbow trout. Something like that anyway. Been many years since I was there. Done some dirt biking up at the Phoenix mine. That was cool.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t jewel lake have some myth about a 50# rainbow trout. Something like that anyway. Been many years since I was there. Done some dirt biking up at the Phoenix mine. That was cool.
they have a huge ATV rally there every year (when there is no fire bans). everyone is camped right in Greenwood and ride from town. I think the lake is stocked, there are lots of people fishing. never seen anything bigger than 6-8 inches long. lake is restricted to 10hp and 10mph, but there are people that drop big boats and use the electric trolling motors.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a kid we did some creek fishing but no lake fishing.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Op will be happy Invermere council announced property tax and utility deferal.

2dawgsfawkin

Reaction score
been busy filling out my hurt feelings report.

so im trying to find info on RDEK property tax deferal, et. from what is see, they refer back to the BC provincial rules on this. this is what is found.

tax.JPG

so it kinda looks like another poke in the eye to non BC residents.

PS. Saskatchewan has a plan to open up parks, fishing, random camping. et(including May Long Weekend). We openly invite all Albertan's and Manitobian's to come visit. Bring your boats, quads, trailers and enjoy our wonderful province!

Last edited:

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When are we going to stop paying for the east is more like it, westerners need to stick together.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t ever imagine Alberta putting out a story like that about them.....there’s thousands of B.C. people working and living in Alberta

They don't understand that, they can't look beyond the end of their stuck up noses to realize that. It's totally one sided. When the Site C dam project began there was a hiring fair, there were 2 piles of resumes, one for BC residents and one for all other provinces, the pile of BC resumes were all called before the other pile was looked at, regardless of qualifications. This was something that was totally unethical and illegal. Yet thousands of BC residents work in Alberta, at one point something like 5000 residents of Kelowna alone worked in the oilsands.

Don't get me wrong the vast majority of BC is made up of good and reasonable people, but editorials like the one posted above sure make a person not want to spend money there.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
friends of mine that have cabin near shuswap. flew to Kamloops. and paid a taxi drive them to there cabin where they have BC licenced car in garage?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t ever imagine Alberta putting out a story like that about them.....there’s thousands of B.C. people working and living in Alberta
Didn't the Alberta government restrict camping to Alberta only residents?

You can't pick and choose what articles get published just because you don't like what the person says.

Honestly it is pretty accurate, BC towns do get over run on long weekends, we do rely on tourism dollars, all levels of Government have asked all residents of all provinces to not travel to their vacation properties. The only way to keep your distance is to stay home unfortunately and let the tourists do what they want.

For reference I tried to go to the lake that is 1km from my house to fish but couldn't get into the parking lot. Full of tourists. We'll find out in a hurry if the covid is what they say it is if we get a bunch of cases.

Obviously some people do not feel the restrictions are valid, and believe it or not others do think they are valid. So who is right? The government has created this **** storm by saying one thing and doing another. They need to enforce the restrictions or remove them completely.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't the Alberta government restrict camping to Alberta only residents?

You can't pick and choose what articles get published just because you don't like what the person says.

Honestly it is pretty accurate, BC towns do get over run on long weekends, we do rely on tourism dollars, all levels of Government have asked all residents of all provinces to not travel to their vacation properties. The only way to keep your distance is to stay home unfortunately and let the tourists do what they want.

For reference I tried to go to the lake that is 1km from my house to fish but couldn't get into the parking lot. Full of tourists. We'll find out in a hurry if the covid is what they say it is if we get a bunch of cases.

Obviously some people do not feel the restrictions are valid, and believe it or not others do think they are valid. So who is right? The government has created this **** storm by saying one thing and doing another. They need to enforce the restrictions or remove them completely.

But what's the definition of staying home if the people in question own homes or vacation properties in BC that they spend a significant portion of their time at anyway?

What about the cross-border shoppers that pull into Alberta on a daily basis, the lineups at Costco here have been long just to get in the store, they'd get a heck of a lot shorter if we sent the BC plates home to shop at their own stores.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just pointing out that it's easy to point blame when there is something as noticeable as the color of a license plate. I would also wonder how many more people are heading into areas like the Okanagan from Vancouver but go un-noticed because there's no distinguishing feature to tell them apart.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put big amounts of money down on the fact that if media (social or or) didn’t say s h i t about this bulls h I t pandemic or about Alberta/BC rivalry, things would be as normal as before. The fact that it’s thrown in our faces ALL THE TIME, of course it creates hostility, anxiety and who has the biggest dick. If bull**** news/fake news didn’t sell, it wouldn’t happen. Like “assault rifles”.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked in Fernie this past Friday, then drove to Sparwood a couple times. What I saw was less RV's and lots of cars coming in . Lots of the campsites are closed till next week. So we think the Alberta people that own homes in this area came in for the long weekend and the folks that had plans to camp stayed home. That will probably change when the camps around the kooc open up. O ya saw some large boats coming in but not sure where they would be going

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But what's the definition of staying home if the people in question own homes or vacation properties in BC that they spend a significant portion of their time at anyway?

What about the cross-border shoppers that pull into Alberta on a daily basis, the lineups at Costco here have been long just to get in the store, they'd get a heck of a lot shorter if we sent the BC plates home to shop at their own stores.

I'm not trying to start an argument, just pointing out that it's easy to point blame when there is something as noticeable as the color of a license plate. I would also wonder how many more people are heading into areas like the Okanagan from Vancouver but go un-noticed because there's no distinguishing feature to tell them apart.

Definition of home is the address on your driver's license. You can't have it both ways, government gives you voting access to the address on your license. Insurance is based on this address etc.
You are right BC people should not be travelling to Cosco, but really how many are coming? 10/day? There was over 30 cars at the lake yesterday 2 were from BC. This is a small mountain lake. 5km down the road there is another bike trail head it was also full. Dog park area along the creek guess what full. You really don't or can't understand what it is like to not be able to use your own back yard because it is full of people from somewhere else until you live in an area where it happens, every long weekend.
I don't think travelling is a big deal any more but others do, so who is right? This is not about Alberta vs BC it is personal beliefs vs personal beliefs.
There is no right or wrong answer but it does show how our governments play both sides.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put big amounts of money down on the fact that if media (social or or) didn’t say s h i t about this bulls h I t pandemic or about Alberta/BC rivalry, things would be as normal as before. The fact that it’s thrown in our faces ALL THE TIME, of course it creates hostility, anxiety and who has the biggest dick. If bull**** news/fake news didn’t sell, it wouldn’t happen. Like “assault rifles”.
Being over run on long weekends is the norm here and locals always get chapped during tourist season.
The only difference now is the government saying don't travel.

Compare this to hiway 2 driving, sign says pull over except to pass that is the rule right? How pissed are you when someone is driving 100 in the passing lane?

Top Bottom