Snowmobiler could face DUI charges

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From the Edmonton sun this am
"WINNIPEG -- Impaired driving-related charges are pending against a 19-year-old man after he was caught operating a snowmobile while allegedly intoxicated, Mounties say.

The arrest occurred in Portage la Prairie, about 70 km west of Winnipeg, yesterday at 3:30 a.m., RCMP said.

Patrolling officers spotted and stopped a male operating a 2006 Arctic Cat snowmobile. The male exhibited signs of gross impairment, police said.

Charges of care and control of a motor vehicle while over .08 are pending, RCMP said.

The man was released on a promise to appear in court at a later date.

Canada's impaired driving laws extend to off-road vehicles, including snowmobiles. If convicted, the man faces the same penalties -- a fine and loss of licence -- as someone who is convicted of impaired driving in a car or truck. "

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow is this gonna stir up @#$%, so i will give my 2-bits... and so he should be charged. loss of his driver might be a bit much, but big fine for sure

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Notice he was "Gosssly" intoxicated, I've always known the DUI laws can be extended to ATV's & Sleds but rarely are they exersized.

Chitty deal for the guy but thats the chance he took.....

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am completely against the drinking and riding.

But there is no way they could just see that he was intoxicated in his riding. There is no way. Snowmobiles are riding in ways that look like your drunk all the time.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Wow is this gonna stir up @#$%, so i will give my 2-bits... and so he should be charged. loss of his driver might be a bit much, but big fine for sure

I agree.... I don't like the idea of a person losing his/her ability to drive on public roadways while driving a vehicle which is not allowed to be on public roadways..... Personally I think if a person is caught ripping down mainstreet drunk on an ATV/Sled then the loss of licence can be justified, in a ditch and offroad not so much.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

But there is no way they could just see that he was intoxicated in his riding. There is no way. Snowmobiles are riding in ways that look like your drunk all the time.

3:30am...... reasonable cause to stop him.... not sure what the laws in MB are but I know in our county we are not supposed to ride the ditches after 11pm.... we do, but that gives them an excuse to stop us if they choose.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3:30am...... reasonable cause to stop him.... not sure what the laws in MB are but I know in our county we are not supposed to ride the ditches after 11pm.... we do, but that gives them an excuse to stop us if they choose.

I don't know here guys. If he can't be responsible OR smart enough to ride a sled without being hammered, can we trust him behind the wheel? I honestly don't feel as though this was his first time riding under the influence.....

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are drunk and a cop tries to stop you run fast very fast lol

Alfred

Reaction score
When will people learn that you should not drink and drive. Not only for your safety but every one else. As for him being on a snowmobile it should not make any difference. Through the book at him.:nono:

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes drink when you're done, but how many guys are having a few in their nice heated enclosed trailers in the staging areas after a great day of ripping the hills, then proceed to drive back to the hotels?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They said he was stopped and showed signs of gross impairment......didn't say wether he looked drunk while riding, or fell of his sled when stopped.....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree.... I don't like the idea of a person losing his/her ability to drive on public roadways while driving a vehicle which is not allowed to be on public roadways..... Personally I think if a person is caught ripping down mainstreet drunk on an ATV/Sled then the loss of licence can be justified, in a ditch and offroad not so much.

Operating a motor vehicle when drunk wether on or off road same law. you kill someone off road, drunk they are just as dead as if you hit them on the highway......no difference in my mind...When you lose your license, you are not allowed to operate any motor vehicle off your own private property, not even a lawn tractor......and so it should be...

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
When will people learn that you should not drink and drive. Not only for your safety but every one else. As for him being on a snowmobile it should not make any difference. Through the book at him.:nono:

Throw the book at him for driving a sled drunk at 3:30 am but give the drug dealer selling at the local highschool 4 months probation...... chances of him hurting anyone but himself are slim, If he has no previous impaired driving charges impound the sled and fine him.... if he has a history then look into licence suspension.

Yes drink when you're done, but how many guys are having a few in their nice heated enclosed trailers in the staging areas after a great day of ripping the hills, then proceed to drive back to the hotels?

If they are only having a few than it's fine.... If they are over .08 then they are taking a big risk... no different then having a few at the ski hill before leaving or at a bar, restaurant, birthday party, funeral..ect.....
Everyone is responsible for their own actions

Bear5022

Reaction score

I would like to tell you a little story about a little town i grew up in called Camrose. Back in the late 70's ,when it still was a town, snowmobileing was aloud in the city limits. There was rules but generally access was available thru out the town. On any given day you would see many machines going on the river that goes thru our town and it seemed like everyone had a machine and enjoyed there local use. At the same time there was a underground war developing between the local cross country ski club,who seemed to think then and still do ,that god put trails on this earth for only there devine use!!! And thats all i will say about this cross country club because i could rant over that for hours!!! Well needless to say all it took was a few bad accidents involveing high speeds and gross impairment. By only a few individuals,and it was all the fuel that the nay sayers needed to get snowmobileing banned on city property for ever! The old saying one bad apple can spoil the bunch holds true today. Nay sayers and tree hugers are rallying to kill our beloved sport. And the liability issue is aiding them in there quest to for ever ban us from public property use. Please drink responcibley and use utmost respect for our public lands because in the end it may only take one individual to get a montain closed or a farmer to fence his once accessable property. Thank you

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I had 2 friends killed by a drunk driver in Alabama a few years ago, so I have no sympathy for anyone who drinks and drives. I'm glad that if you get caught on your sled pissed to the eyeballs it has the same consequences as it would if it were a car or truck. If the guy is wasted on a sled there's a good chance he does it when driving too.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly, throw the book at him, hang him high, got no sympathy here. As far as I'm concerned the laws should be changed so that if you are impaired and kill someone or injure someone while operating any type of motor vehicle, it would be considered premeditated murder or attempted murder because that's exactly what it is.

Merry Xmas all!!!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Fact is the law of driving while impaired applies to any motorized vehicle whether it be on or off road, and it should. Same guys who rides his sled with a half dozen or more beers in him likely does the same in his car or truck when he leaves the bar.

Don't get me wrong as I know everyone loves a shot here or there and there's nothing wrong with beers in the trailer at the end of the day as long as it has a smart limit or a designated driver to haul everyone back to the hotel. Fact is, the RCMP aren't stupid and will often target sledders hauling trailers outside of the play areas when their headed towards the small towns. I am sure they catch plenty. I'm a firm advocate that it's just as easy to drive sober or appoint a DD at the trailer when the day is done. They can always drink an hour or so later and eliminate the risk for everyone else. Also, know this, if 4 guys are in a truck and all are hammered after loading up and killing a bottle, that all 4 in the truck can be charged with care and operation. Doesn't happen often but I have seen it done.

Being out in the bush is a lot easier to get away with, but if you're gonna get whacked then ride the ditches along the highway, then you stand a higher chance of being caught. Losing your license and your ride is part of the law so if you're going to do it, be prepared as the impound fee and fine associated to the act is thousands of $$$. It's not worth doing so I suck it up and do my drinking when I get home, or I take the camper and campout where I want to play, then I can get twisted when the ride is done and don't have to drive. Rant over.

Just my .02

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rules are rules, but commen sense prevails. Just because a drunk driver is off road, doesn't mean he's the only one out there. I have spent a lot of time on the bush trails and cutlines. I have come accross some pretty outrageous crap. My daughters are almost always with us, as are a lot of our friend's kids. When some drunken dips#@t comes barreling through the middle of the group, it affects all of us. If you are drunk and decide to climb on and hit the throttle, you are putting more than your own life at risk. Not to sound like a hypocrite (sorry, no spell check), because I like to have a few trail pops myself, but never do I get even a buzz when riding a quad or a sled. Even the most experienced riders need to focus and concentrate on the obstacles of the off road, and that ain't going to happen when you are snot-hanging drunk. I believe that it should be treated the same as driving a vehicle while drunk, charge him, impound the sled, and yank his licence for a year. Just my 2-cents.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why did he stop is what i'm wondering?:rolleyes:

Also if you stay at a hotel or camp out and get totally wasted, then wake up in the morning and drive home your most likely still legally impaired. not saying its a better idea to drive home that night because obviously its not but if you drink till you puke, then expect to be normal in the morning it's probably not gonna happen. however if your just having a few, then heck ya in the morning you'll be good to go. i've had a few friends get in trouble from the cops even at 11 oclock the next morning for still being impaired.:nono:

just some food for thought:rant:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nail the loser This is BS bigtime no diff than the guy that drown 2 months ago west of the city. until a family member of yours is killed YOU may think different. I have had in the past many years ago had a couple but absoluetly dont even think of it.
Last week going to the city and some young girl got beside as i was passing her and she is texting I beeped the horn she never heard or looked over kept on texting at 110-115 km per hour while she was fairly close to the back end of another car.

Top Bottom