snowbike engine life?

whopper809

Reaction score
Sprocket wear is minimal as long as you check you chain tensions and keep them correctly adjusted. And I mean both the main drive chain and the chain case chain. Bikes are balance pretty good since the rider is ahead of the rear skid. There's video of guys jumping these bikes and you can see they fly easy. If you have good traction and the front end will get light but it's not like it will come 2' off the snow on a flat ground pull from a roll. If there's a hump on the ground and you drive over at speed and you give them throttle they will carry the front end. It's all a learning curve to get a feel for the bike and what it will do. Check out vids on YouTube. There no shortage. As for the hyd or cable clutch. Well in my group everyone has hyd since our bikes are newer and no issues ever yet to date. A cable bike could be fine I'm sure if the cables are maintained correctly.

Of course if you get a turbo setup or nitrous. Well I've heard they can flip over backward on you if you don't go easy on the throttle at times. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geoff Kyle's first time on a Timbersled Mountain Horse. With Reagan Sieg - YouTube

This is one of Geoff's vids that got me thinking a while ago. I've rode dirtbikes for 25 yrs and I love being able to snap my front end up on my 450 anytime I want (on dirt) prolly going to need to turbo the biotch to be able to do that on snow.

I'm thinking the same thing. I've owned a boatload of bikes, but the Timbersled kit on a 450 would take the fun factor to a whole new level. I had a Snow Hawk a handful of years ago...it was alright, but nothing compared to a ponied up dirt bike.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the one i rode had a rekluse and work flawless. liked it better then the manual clutch on the other bike with us.

whopper809

Reaction score
We saw a guy riding a 800 snow hawk a few years back. He was killing himself on the trails in the trees even on the tight groomed trail wasn't all that easy cause they are top heavy. Up on the alpine he could rip, but that's all. He couldn't play in the powder in the trees and if he fell down 5times he was all played out picking up that pig again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guys converted me. I am way more comfortable on a bike than a sled so it's a no brainer.

Sleds. ... You have to think ahead a bit like playing chess...

Snow bike. ... Get on and ride. Stop here. Go there. Turn here. Side Hill there. Throttle. Roost. Turn. Jump. Through the trees. Keep on going. Anyplace. Anytime.

I will never own another sled for the mountains.
nyjahu9e.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

carbondaddy

Reaction score
Just thought I would butt in here. I got into The snowbike scene a few years ago and ended up selling my sleds and became a Timbersled dealer. I kept one sled for a while, but never rode it. I've got close to 150 days in the mountains in the last three years and my worst day was when I demo'd a new ski-doo. We can access different terrain, and almost every time we go out, we don't see other tracks. I've seen more new terrain in the last three years on the snowbike than the previous 25 on a sled. Reliabilty has been really good. I put about 300 hrs on a KX450 before changing the piston, and it looked great. Over 200 hrs without setting the valves. I've got about 60 days on a Husaberg FE501 now, without touching a thing. And our days are 4 to 6 hrs of actual running time, and I'm always breaking trail. We burn about half the fuel a sled burns, and change your oil every 2 rides. I've still got a few kits in stock and my CR500 is for sale with a new ST kit on it. Anybody wanting a demo ride in Revy can give me a call.
Craig

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Just thought I would butt in here. I got into The snowbike scene a few years ago and ended up selling my sleds and became a Timbersled dealer. I kept one sled for a while, but never rode it. I've got close to 150 days in the mountains in the last three years and my worst day was when I demo'd a new ski-doo. We can access different terrain, and almost every time we go out, we don't see other tracks. I've seen more new terrain in the last three years on the snowbike than the previous 25 on a sled. Reliabilty has been really good. I put about 300 hrs on a KX450 before changing the piston, and it looked great. Over 200 hrs without setting the valves. I've got about 60 days on a Husaberg FE501 now, without touching a thing. And our days are 4 to 6 hrs of actual running time, and I'm always breaking trail. We burn about half the fuel a sled burns, and change your oil every 2 rides. I've still got a few kits in stock and my CR500 is for sale with a new ST kit on it. Anybody wanting a demo ride in Revy can give me a call.
Craig
Good info. Thanks.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think some one should make a real snow bike with a proper mid size motor, 583cc twin two stoke, with sled clutching, bat heater and electric start, it would be a blast and I bet cheaper than the current snow bikes and proper engine cooling system... What we have now is a bandaid solution to a good running proper kit

summitx411

Reaction score
Sorry but you just described a snow hawk. The snow bikes are in a league of their own due to their light weight.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Demoed a 450 yz for a few hrs, it was fun but got bored after a while, and I had thought it lacked power, traction and to much shifting, was happy to get my sled back, needs some better engineering overall

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its my first season on snow bike yz450 efi no issues yet except little gas in oil Ive done thermostat relocated air sensor blocked rads in.. Its been a riot,, its crazy where these things will go and effortless to ride.. On the deep deep days I pulled sled out twice this year I think with boost I wont be riding sled at all... Sledding was getting boring for me this is a whole new game again and the terrain you can get to is endless.. Also helps me stay in shape for mx season keep twisting the throttle all winter Braaaap!

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its my first season on snow bike yz450 efi no issues yet except little gas in oil Ive done thermostat relocated air sensor blocked rads in.. Its been a riot,, its crazy where these things will go and effortless to ride.. On the deep deep days I pulled sled out twice this year I think with boost I wont be riding sled at all... Sledding was getting boring for me this is a whole new game again and the terrain you can get to is endless.. Also helps me stay in shape for mx season keep twisting the throttle all winter Braaaap!

How long had you rode a sled for?

Top Bottom