snowbike engine life?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so how hard is it on your engine? any failures or problems? im thinking on doing my crf450.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so how hard is it on your engine? any failures or problems? im thinking on doing my crf450.

I've got to think it's gotta be hard on them. 4 stroke MXer's are running on the ragged edge as it is to have them loaded right up turning a big track in heavy snow only being able to pull 2nd or 3rd gear revved right to redline all day has got to take it's toll. Keep in mind your 450 holds less than 1 litre of engine oil which I would think would be toast at the end of a hard day's riding. It will be interesting to see what the failure rate of these engines is over the next few years.

It's too bad no one (that I know of) makes a big bore 2 stroke fuel injected bike. A service honda CR500 AF with fuel injection would make an awesome snow bike!

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I actually just sold my old CR500 a couple days ago. I had it loaded in the back of my truck next to one of my sleds for a couple days. Looking at it one day, i was thinking the exact same thing. Even told the wife "that old bike would be awesome with a mountain horse kit". She is not so convinced that snowbikes are cool. She thinks sleds are where its at. But im a biker at heart and would sure like to try one.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually just sold my old CR500 a couple days ago. I had it loaded in the back of my truck next to one of my sleds for a couple days. Looking at it one day, i was thinking the exact same thing. Even told the wife "that old bike would be awesome with a mountain horse kit". She is not so convinced that snowbikes are cool. She thinks sleds are where its at. But im a biker at heart and would sure like to try one.

Craig. (Carbon daddy) from revy has a cr 500 snow bike. Sounded awesome on the hills

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
Aww man i bet it did! Screeming like a giant chainsaw thu the muskeg what a beautiful sound... I miss the old girl already!

Ya if they still made a fuel injected 2 stroke 500 with electric start and lights, i would be all over that.

Last edited:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Craig. (Carbon daddy) from revy has a cr 500 snow bike. Sounded awesome on the hills

How does it deal with the elevation and temperature changes? I would imagine a guy could run a single egt to keep an eye on things.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode a yzf for the day. would have to rank it as one of the best days ive ever had on the snow!! was amazed by how they went and how they climbed. and no. you didnt have to keep it pinned all day. it pulled good.

whopper809

Reaction score
I've yet to see anyone with issues on shortened motor life or even transmssion trouble for that matter after years of riding. Now I'm sure anything is possible since even sled motors seem to blow up all the time with very little time on them for a list of various reasons why it did. But maintenance does go a long way, fresh oil does wonders, not to meantion actually checking the oil levels daily.

I was in Turner Valley a week ago and talked to the rep there for the TS Mountain Horse kits which he also operates a shop that builds stock to custom builds and also maintains bikes for his customers. While I was there I talked to one guy that had 7years on his KTM 450sx which was always in a snow bike set up, first the 2moto kit and then the Mountain horse kit and rode 100's of hours on the bike. They were rebuilding it, but not because it was broken or blown up, It was just being upgraded to a big bore kit is all I even saw him reinstall the head without it requiring a valve job. I'd say 7 years was very impressive with no issues ever. Having snow bikes myself I can say it's just not as hard as you think on the motor or trans. I mean we never ride to the red line all day..... thats just crazy to even think it's nessasary to ride them like that. I mean there's four stroke turbo sleds out there on the mountain and I'm sure those guys must rev them up just a little bit during the ride, LOL, but not wide open all day long and they obviously get more then one season of riding on the motor or nobody would own one right. By reading some of the comments on here it seems like some guys need to get out and see guys ride in person or maybe turn on youtube and watch some videos, you'll see the bikes go pretty effortless in the snow. You'll see theres no big strain on the drive line.

Last edited:

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh im 90% sure i'll be on a snowbike next yr. ive heard a few rumors of a new kit for next yr to.

straightshooter

Reaction score

Depends on how u drive it... Bounce it of the rev limiter all day probably going to be adjusting valves ever couple rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whopper809

Reaction score
Nobody I've ever seen needs to be bouncin off the rev limiter all day. I've never even hit the rev limiter on mine... Just no need since you can grab a gear up if your able to rev it that high. It's all in your wrist. Only a guy that has no control or finesse at the throttle would ride wide open. The bikes don't require a guy to ride like that at all. They actually preform better once in the deep or steep to rev them low and use the torque.

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobody I've ever seen needs to be bouncin off the rev limiter all day. I've never even hit the rev limiter on mine... Just no need since you can grab a gear up if your able to rev it that high. It's all in your wrist. Only a guy that has no control or finesse at the throttle would ride wide open. The bikes don't require a guy to ride like that at all. They actually preform better once in the deep or steep to rev them low and use the torque.

what bike do you run and how long have ya had your kit.

whopper809

Reaction score
what bike do you run and how long have ya had your kit.

KTM 530 xcw. Have had the bike two years this will be third winter season now, which it's always been setup as a snowbike except for one trip that I took it to the sand dunes in Oregon, bikes has about 50hrs on it. Which 8 of that was sand riding.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would you guys just stop !!!

coz I so could convert to the single ski thing-a-me-jig ...

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would you guys just stop !!!

coz I so could convert to the single ski thing-a-me-jig ...

after 1 day on one.im so getting one. just way more fun in the trees.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Is there any abnormal sprocket wear is happening? Are these bikes back heavy on airtime or do they fly straight? Can you pick the front ski off the snow no problem. A KTM with a hydraulic clutch would probably be better than dealing with frozen cables? I'm convinced on building one for next season.

Top Bottom