sled just dies every now and then. 08 RMK700

TGS

Reaction score
Out last night for a little ride and encountered some problems with my sled. Its a 2008 RMK700. I came off a drop and landed a bit hard on some packed snow and my sled just died all of a sudden. I open the hood to take a look and can't find anything wrong. Pull the plugs (not that I believe this had to do with anything) put them back in. Sat and wondered what it could be and give it another pull and the SOB fired right up. Score I thought. Go to put the plug wrench and spare belt back in and it dies again. WTF! Again, thinking what it might be for 5min. Give it another pull and it just barely starts to idle then dies. Pull again and same thing barely idling. I gave the throttle a blurp and it started idling just perfect. Hopped on and rode 15 miles back to the truck and it ran great. :hmm:

Can anyone please give some insight as to what this might be? I'm heading out to ride this weekend and would like a bit of confidence in my sled for the trip.

As always, thanks in advance.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
do your gauges or headlight flicker when it is running? if so you voltage regulator may be on its last legs, when it goes for good you will not be able to start your sled until you get a new one.

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought a voltage regulator and keep it in my bag just incase mine dies out i have 1100 miles on my sled and it hasnt yet but its better to be safe than sorry when ur in the bush and ur sled wont start

TGS

Reaction score
OK. I'm guessing its located underneath the spare belt holder? Also, are these things available in the aftermarket because i seem to recall that its been replaced once on warranty:hmm:

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes its underneath the sparebelt cover where your ecu is and i beleive its just two torx screws and it pops off, go to your dealer and ask them for the updated regulator and they will give you the good one

ElectroTech

Reaction score
Most likely need to tighten your throttle cable pre-load, there should only be about a 1/16-1/8" freeplay at the lever, make sure that the bars can turn lock to lock without revving up the sled, if it does just back off the adjuster a little. Adjuster is about 8" down from the lever and is covered by a rubber sleeve.
Happy Trails,
Steve

Top Bottom