Sled decks on short box trucks in bc. Golden in particular

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so it is 48 inches from the tail lights to the most rear hanging part of the sled?

I measured mine at 46 1/2 so no red light or flag needed! but they will nail me for something else lol. I went and weighted the truck with the two big sleds and it came in at 3150 kg full of fuel in truck and sleds. truck rides so much better with the sleds on it being a 1500 and still pulls 130 on the hills lol. do I sence a speeding ticket maybe lol. still way under the GVW of 3700 kg!

so all good to go!

Flange99

Reaction score
You weighed your half ton with deck, 2 sleds, all full of fuel and gear, and your legal? Heck, you're 550 kgs under?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well box removed and made a flat deck. it handles great with the air bags and stops good but I have to set up the rear breaks. my ICBC pappers say 3700 kg for GVW. I even went in to check with ICBC lol. my sticker in door is gone because of paint job. mybe I will take my 1500 emblems off of door! I dont even know the sleds are behind me. got to love the numbers when they all line up right !

oh I still have room for girlfriend, two kids and gear! oh and 200 pounds for trailer hitch weight. but when pulling the trailer the big sleds go on trailer and the kids 550 fans go on the truck. that weight is truck full of gas and a full tank of propane! I wanted it on the heaviest side!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
......I went and weighted the truck with the two big sleds and it came in at 3150 kg full of fuel in truck and sleds. truck rides so much better with the sleds on it being a 1500 and still pulls 130 on the hills lol. do I sence a speeding ticket maybe lol. still way under the GVW of 3700 kg!

so all good to go!

How does this math work? A 1500 with two sleds wet, full of fuel and still legal? Something sounds fishy.....

How does a 1500 have a GVW of 3700 kg? That's 8157 lb. on my conversion type calculator! I think we require a few more details! Gas, Diesel, deck material, weight of gear and passenger when fully loaded.

Just asking and wanting to keep the thread going as there are lots of people every weekend looking for this information, either before or after the ticket!!

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if ur gonna use the lights on the back of ur deck as a set of tailights etc..then u gotta rember that tailights can only be a certain height from the ground. if u get a cop when hes havn "that time of the month" lol he could issue a ticket for that. lol. more concern for the lifted trucks

The DOT rule for hight is no more than some where around 72" from the ground.
That is in the CVIP mechanics book this would apply in BC as well as it is a North American Standard for commercial vehicles.

wapos

Reaction score
I was in ICBC registering my truck last month and the lady let me pick the GVW for the truck?!! No kidding! So I picked 4200 kg....Had to pay $20 to change the GVW, but cheaper than a ticket. My door sticker is gone so we will see this winter if my truck, deck and two sleds gets through the Revy road checks... I am not saying my truck should be legal with a deck and two sleds, but with the airbags it handles fine for me and with the paperwork in order who knows?!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does this math work? A 1500 with two sleds wet, full of fuel and still legal? Something sounds fishy.....

How does a 1500 have a GVW of 3700 kg? That's 8157 lb. on my conversion type calculator! I think we require a few more details! Gas, Diesel, deck material, weight of gear and passenger when fully loaded.

Just asking and wanting to keep the thread going as there are lots of people every weekend looking for this information, either before or after the ticket!!

yes my GVW on my ICBC papers is 3700 K which is 8157 lbs. the sticker on my door was gone because it was repainted. truck was (just sold it) a 1991 1500 GMC, ext cab, gas (350) duel fuel (extra tank), 4x4, box removed with a 250 pound 8 x 7 foot long flat deck. it had rear air bags and load E tires(this is all the DOT checked and my GVW.... on my ICBC papers).

the truck with half tank of gas, full tank (120 liters) propane, passangers weighing 600 pounds (two adults, two kids), 200 pounds of gear, 1-05 900 polaris, 1-01 polaris 700 (both full of fuel) one 5 gallon jerry can on the 900, and ball weight from the trailer of 200 pounds (2 550 RMK 136). I was legal.....I think I still had 500 pounds left.

Im 100% sure when I went through a DOT check with a 06 T-apex (tank) and a 01 700 RMK full of fuel and 10 gallons in jerry cans......two adults and all our gear.......with 80 psi in the air bags.....with 1500 on the doors dot just measured how far the apex was hangging out.....(I knew I had 1 1/4 inches to spare lol) and said every thing looks great! he did look at my rear tires for the load E. had the sleds tied properly and way under my GVW. now I have a 3/4 ton and I think it has a less GVW but going to look at it in a few weeks and start to do the math!

the 1500 drove better with the sleds on it then with out! I really dont care what other guys say....because I had ZERO proplems stopping and with DOT!

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes my GVW on my ICBC papers is 3700 K which is 8157 lbs. the sticker on my door was gone because it was repainted. truck was (just sold it) a 1991 1500 GMC, ext cab, gas (350) duel fuel (extra tank), 4x4, box removed with a 250 pound 8 x 7 foot long flat deck. it had rear air bags and load E tires(this is all the DOT checked and my GVW.... on my ICBC papers).

the truck with half tank of gas, full tank (120 liters) propane, passangers weighing 600 pounds (two adults, two kids), 200 pounds of gear, 1-05 900 polaris, 1-01 polaris 700 (both full of fuel) one 5 gallon jerry can on the 900, and ball weight from the trailer of 200 pounds (2 550 RMK 136). I was legal.....I think I still had 500 pounds left.

Im 100% sure when I went through a DOT check with a 06 T-apex (tank) and a 01 700 RMK full of fuel and 10 gallons in jerry cans......two adults and all our gear.......with 80 psi in the air bags.....with 1500 on the doors dot just measured how far the apex was hangging out.....(I knew I had 1 1/4 inches to spare lol) and said every thing looks great! he did look at my rear tires for the load E. had the sleds tied properly and way under my GVW. now I have a 3/4 ton and I think it has a less GVW but going to look at it in a few weeks and start to do the math!

the 1500 drove better with the sleds on it then with out! I really dont care what other guys say....because I had ZERO proplems stopping and with DOT!

You heard it here first. The more you load your truck up the better it will stop.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You heard it here first. The more you load your truck up the better it will stop.

knee slapper LOL get some new material freak! and as for the record, with out the sleds on the back of the deck, the back wheels locked up to quickly......go for a drive down a dirt road with no box on a truck! (and no ABS)...........So STFU freak! this is a no brainer.... and if I was a bettin guy, I would put money on the truck with the sleds! (you know why????? because I tested it over and over lol)

hey freak ....put 2-3 (or more) tons on your truck and drive down a STEP hill..... but first cut your brake lines and tell me if you can stop LMFAO TEST THAT ONE!

oh and please, can you fix my spelling because I only have a grade 6 education. plus my key board sticks from getting to excited....from the pics I see of that woman on your sled. man is she your type!

Last edited:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rules are different for a Commercial plate?? Or is it the same law applies??

not a 100% sure but I heard commercial plate are WAY more strict.....like you have to carry a certain amount of spare fuses even, and have a flares and stuff! but not sure! just what i heard!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the rules are different for a Commercial plate?? Or is it the same law applies??

This has always been my question...

In BC, or atleast when I lived there, all pickup trucks are considered commecial vehicles. All the plates on pickups are four digits with two letters. (or there are variances of that) Even my Dodge dakota had commercial plates when I lived in BC. The registration said commercial vehicle.

Maybe you can register it otherwise in BC, but I don't know.

So being that, all Commercial Vehicle rules apply to all trucks registered in BC. Now with vehicles registered outside BC do they have to follow the same commerical rules because my truck surely isn't a commercial vehicle?

When you travel in a new regulatory zone you mut obey their rules, but does a passenger vehicle in one province have to obey by commercial rules in another?

hmmm....

Doo800ho

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How the he!! did you get a way with that:confused: My 3/4 ton (gas) is only rated for 3901kg GVWR (8600lb's). Correct me if i'm wrong but those trucks were only rated @ 5600lb's (2600kg gvwr) from the factory. Go weigh your truck full of fuel and nobody sitting in it and no freight. Then subtracted that number from your GVWR and what your left with is what you can legaly hall. Maybe 1500lb's that includes passengers and cargo. My brothers friend had 94 Z71 and they put an aluminum deck in the back of his truck with two ski-doos one a 583 and the other a 670 all there gear & two guy's & they were over weight.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

In BC, or atleast when I lived there, all pickup trucks are considered commecial vehicles. All the plates on pickups are four digits with two letters. (or there are variances of that) Even my Dodge dakota had commercial plates when I lived in BC. The registration said commercial vehicle.

So being that, all Commercial Vehicle rules apply to all trucks registered in BC. Now with vehicles registered outside BC do they have to follow the same commerical rules because my truck surely isn't a commercial vehicle?

When you travel in a new regulatory zone you mut obey their rules, but does a passenger vehicle in one province have to obey by commercial rules in another?

hmmm....

I have commercial Alberta plates on my truck, i use it for work but it is my personal vehicle too?? So not sure how it works???

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How the he!! did you get a way with that:confused: My 3/4 ton (gas) is only rated for 3901kg GVWR (8600lb's). Correct me if i'm wrong but those trucks were only rated @ 5600lb's (2600kg gvwr) from the factory. Go weigh your truck full of fuel and nobody sitting in it and no freight. Then subtracted that number from your GVWR and what your left with is what you can legaly hall. Maybe 1500lb's that includes passengers and cargo. My brothers friend had 94 Z71 and they put an aluminum deck in the back of his truck with two ski-doos one a 583 and the other a 670 all there gear & two guy's & they were over weight.

Im just tell you what the math was.....what my paper work said....and what DOT did in a stop! legal or not I DID NOT get a ticket! I do have a 3/4 ton now with the box removed and a custom Alum deck built on the back....I know that I will not beable to haul as much as my LAST truck.....but I will work on the math next month! to busy building before the snow comes right now!

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hmmm....

i stopped in at the scales and they told me there that because my truck was not registered as commercial and i was hauling personal goods, the gvw on my door was -in her words now - inconsequential. she said all i had to do was look at the tires on my truck, add up the weight each tire was rated for, and i was good to go. i smiled and nodded and then walked out wondering if i heard her right, so after looking at my tires(load d bfg all terrains 3305lbs each) and doing what she said i come up with 13220lbs. so i went back in and asked her if i come by with my 97 half ton (gvw 6600lbs) loaded down to 13000lbs that would be fine? she repeated the process to me and i left more confused than goin in. the 6600lbs is all the payload and truck and tongue weight of the trailer correct can weigh, correct? or is she somewhat right and they are just concerned with comercial vehicles and they will let more slide with the personal vehicles? i think my truck would break in half if i had enough weight to overload my tires.. lol

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got tagged a bunch of years ago at the brake check on top of the hill before heading into Golden. I had commercial plates on my truck and 5th wheel. I ended up with over $600 worth of fines before I was allowed to get a room and wait till morning to get some stuff done. Long story short, I had to pull into the scales in the morning to prove I got my stuff done, and the pr!ck came out, looked through my glove box, and made me walk to the Husky to buy some spare fuses before I could get out of town.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got tagged a bunch of years ago at the brake check on top of the hill before heading into Golden. I had commercial plates on my truck and 5th wheel. I ended up with over $600 worth of fines before I was allowed to get a room and wait till morning to get some stuff done. Long story short, I had to pull into the scales in the morning to prove I got my stuff done, and the pr!ck came out, looked through my glove box, and made me walk to the Husky to buy some spare fuses before I could get out of town.

so you need to carry a bunch of exta fuses?? What else???

Top Bottom