Slaughtering Elk.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had this sent to me and I have signed and sent in. Do the same if possible .
Quote below,

"These were provided by a club member. No official confirmation has been received
I don't know if you want to share this with others but here are some more pictures floating around, I blocked out faces but here are a few more pictures. rumors are 150ish natives have shot 400+ bulls with a bunch over 350" a few at 400. Kind of a slap in the face of the 14000 people who sent in for cow tags. and the 250 drawn will get to watch the natives drive out with more of these bulls in the next few weeks.
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 3:29 PM, colin jackson <cjjack@telusplanet.net> wrote:
FYI
I got this from the Wild Elk Federation site.
Indicates a large harvest of Bull Elk took place???"

T

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
There is an estimated 6500-8000 elk on that base. 2700 sq/Kms.... That WAY too many. The way I understood it was the treaty Indians were let in first for their 400 bulls and are done. I put in for the cow draw draw but was not awarded.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as they use the meat and it's not wanton waste I'm ok with it.

Rechner99

Reaction score
i get that they need to bring down the population, but the treaty indians get to hunt basically what ever when ever already and they get the only right to hunt bulls ??? ive heard that area is a 12 year draw for bull elk and if i was waiting for my turn i would be super pissed, so that being said why not award cows and bulls to both?? would have been no one complaining then.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then even the tables and put in for draws like the rest of us, or don't exercise the right to hunt outside of the regulations that guys like me need to follow....hunting and killing are two very different things. I wouldnt want to be a part of driving up to a herd of elk and jumping out of a truck with some buddies and opening fire just because you can and dropping anything that has a rack. Just my .02, and if you don't like it.....tough

Rechner99

Reaction score
Then even the tables and put in for draws like the rest of us, or don't exercise the right to hunt outside of the regulations that guys like me need to follow....hunting and killing are two very different things. I wouldnt want to be a part of driving up to a herd of elk and jumping out of a truck with some buddies and opening fire just because you can and dropping anything that has a rack. Just my .02, and if you don't like it.....tough

Not really sure what your talking about Fastfarmer, I put in draws like the rest of us... i heard there was over 14000 people entered in the Cow draw and the the bull draw was not open to the average hunters.... so your 2 cents really dont make sense, if you dont like that then Tough ( Think about what you say before you say it )

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Had I have gotten drawn I would of been one of those guys driving up to a herd with a buddy and opening fire. Haha. Nothing to do with hunting. More of a herd control measure/meat in the freezer deal.

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cows would be better to top up your freezer with, not an old herd bull. Pretty sure they are not there for the meat, they can sell the skulls and antlers.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really sure what your talking about Fastfarmer, I put in draws like the rest of us... i heard there was over 14000 people entered in the Cow draw and the the bull draw was not open to the average hunters.... so your 2 cents really dont make sense, if you dont like that then Tough ( Think about what you say before you say it )

everyone has an opinion, you have yours I have mine. I don't get into politics at an immature level when it comes to this kind of thing, and a public forum isn't where I think we should battle back and forth. My opinion does make sense in the fact that it pertains to the general jyst of how things go with this topic and type of rights. Do as you are legally allowed to do, keep going with the bad image and throw it in your face attitude along with the behind closed doors mentality and this will be the opinion of the majority of people for years to come. Why not be open and public about it. Why not control the ones that do not uphold your traditional rights and that give your privaledges a bad rap.....I sir am not an uneducated man and have been faced with this adversity while I grew up in the Yukon for a large part of my life. No matter where this takes place it is and always will be viewed as an unfair rule as long as people go around gloating about it and not defending what remains the truth in that this is an ancestral right. If you are tired of guys like me and my opinions then be proactive and do something about it, otherwise I don't want to continue to discuss a topic that in any circle adds fuel to a fire that will never go out. I hope you are one of the people that truly lives by your ancestral beliefs, and not only for when there are privileges like these that arise.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my .02

I think they made the right decision in letting the First Nations hunters take the bulls. This was not at all about hunting rights, it was about conservation. Had they allowed "white" hunters to take the bulls, they likely would not have culled the target number of male animals, due to many wanting to take only those "of a lifetime" bulls.
I entered the draw for cows as well and I was glad to have the opportunity even though I was unsuccessful.

Like I said, JMO.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about the band giving up 50 tags for bulls? Even 25... That would probably help diffuse the situation pretty quickly..... I have to put meat in the freezer too,, even if it was an old herd bull I wouldn't complain, not as desirable as a cow maybe, but the fact that I am not permitted to is the same old same old....

Top Bottom