Skidoo Synthetic Blend Oil

cookn

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a 2009 Summit XP and I was wondering if other XP owners are running the recommended skidoo synthetic blend oil. Is there any advantage of a synthetic blend oil over full synthetic oil (other than the lower cost). The manual also claims that the limited warranty may be void if this oil is not ran. What are other XP owners running for injection oil? Has anyone had an issue with the warranty from Bombardier due to the brand of injection oil they used? Thanks for your replies !

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a 2009 Summit XP and I was wondering if other XP owners are running the recommended skidoo synthetic blend oil. Is there any advantage of a synthetic blend oil over full synthetic oil (other than the lower cost). The manual also claims that the limited warranty may be void if this oil is not ran. What are other XP owners running for injection oil? Has anyone had an issue with the warranty from Bombardier due to the brand of injection oil they used? Thanks for your replies !

Read my post on top of page 4:
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f55/gummed-up-power-valves-8470.html

cookn

Reaction score
Thanks - it was worrying me because skidoo has jumped around recommending synthetic and mineral oil different years for the 800 and now the synthetic blend oil . From other posts, the shell oil sounds to be a good oil. The machine has the blend oil currently in the injection tank. Should the machine be broken in on the blend oil and then be switched to the shell synthetic or switched prior to break-in.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use Synthetic. Don't skimp and burn petroleum based injector oil. For the extra few bucks per tank that it costs for Synthetic, the extra insurance is well worth it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks - it was worrying me because skidoo has jumped around recommending synthetic and mineral oil different years for the 800 and now the synthetic blend oil . From other posts, the shell oil sounds to be a good oil. The machine has the blend oil currently in the injection tank. Should the machine be broken in on the blend oil and then be switched to the shell synthetic or switched prior to break-in.

Don't know about the break in but I would follow Scotty's advice, just use one oil. You don't have to go with Shell/Castrol, etc., I use the Shell stuff cuz I'm supporting my Uncle (I buy it by the case from him) but you can use whatever you want really (BRP, Shell, Amsoil, etc). This was in no way an endorsement for Shell products, just more along the lines of information for the syn/conv blend oils and why BRP recommends what they do.

If you do switch oils, make sure that you get out as much of the old stuff as you can, most oils blend fine, some of the older TC-W and TC-W3 blends did not mix so well (sludge) but I think going from a blend of syn/conv to full syn probably not going to be a problem. If you're worried about it, pour a little bit of your current oil into a tin cup, and then add some of the new stuff. Could even maybe heat it a little to see what happens. Most oils these days seem to be fine. I've seen guys run cheap Castrol one day, dump in a can of Interceptor the next, Shell the next and Polaris oil the next and no probs. You can always call the oil manufacturer and see what they say too. Tell them what you're switching from and see if there will be any compatibility issues.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I emailed my uncle to see what he has to say about blending them, I'll let you know.

cookn

Reaction score
That would be awesome - thanks again Modman,
looking forward to hear what your uncle says,
I'll try mixing them as well

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here was his response, pretty much along the lines of what was said:
"There can be some chemical reaction between hydrocarbon & synthetic oils. Different molecular chains which means they may never really mix. There some oils labelled "synthetic" that are really still hyrocarbon based. I don't think it is a good idea to mix synthetic brands. I would make sure that the oil tank be emptied before switching blends or full synthetics. The rule of thumb is that TCW is for air cooled & TCW 3 is for water cooled. Real synthetics are vinyl esters."

Hope that helps. :)

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run the mineral oil in my mod 860 cause thats what they recomended and cause the synthetic gums up the power valves

Calg_Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same question regarding running the synthetic blend versus the full synthetic. The manual indicates that the blend is the "prefered" oil but when I discussed this with my dealer they told me that it would be fine to run the semi blend but the oil pump is set up for full syn from the factory. If I want to run the blend they advised me to bring my sled back in so that they could crank up the oil. I have stuck with the ski doo syn but have also purchased the shell oil when it was on sale. No prob on the doo oil and have another gal to use up before switching to the shell.
Anyone have problems making this switch?

Top Bottom