Six Lakes trip

tbosch

Reaction score
I'm heading up to six lakes with the father and Father in law in June. Has anyone been there before? Im hoping to get some riding in and we're also planning on pulling a boat in to do some fishing.

JDB

Reaction score
I haven't been to 6 lakes but have been north of 6 lakes at Net, Release and camped at Laroque. I have been there the last 2 years. I have also been about 20 miles north of Net lake exploring that area. Walked on the ecolgical sand dunes and quaded at Richardson sand dunes. The fishing is very good even from shore. This year I hope to continue to quad to lake athabasca the back way north of Net. The area is worth seeing it is so unique. The reason I go further north is even though 6 lakes has lots of camping and fishing ( heard from many) it is also where the majority go but I like to go to the edge where less people go. Many days we don't see a sole. If you go the earlier is the better as the road gets wooped out. The more wooped out the slower you go. Everything in your trailer gets shaken to pieces. If you take a boat best put the boat on a tub trailer with a walking beam.

tbosch

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info JDB. We are planning to head up the first weekend of June so hopefully the road wont be too bad at that point. Luckily my inlaws are all made of money:) so we have 3 walking beam enclosed tubs to pull up all our gear. Hopefully we can fit the boat on top, if not I can pack my pontoon boat in a trailer as well. Should be a great trip. We may try further north next year, but this year we'll be sticking to the main areas just to feel the place out a bit.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've been going up to six lakes and area for the last 17 years. we always bring a boat up, either my inflatable 10ft with my 2.5 yamaha motor, or my buddies 12ft aluminum with his 8hp yamaha motor. He had to weld up a speacial rack on to his tub trailer to carry the boat but it works great. It's always a good time up there.

tbosch

Reaction score
i've been going up to six lakes and area for the last 17 years. we always bring a boat up, either my inflatable 10ft with my 2.5 yamaha motor, or my buddies 12ft aluminum with his 8hp yamaha motor. He had to weld up a speacial rack on to his tub trailer to carry the boat but it works great. It's always a good time up there.

Have you fished Namur Lake at all? I see in the regs that there's lakers in there, just wondering if its a decent population.

JDB

Reaction score
tbosch
We may run into you. We are planning to go the start of the second week of June. All subject to weather of course. Last year we were told of lakers north of Net lake. Wasn't sure of the lake to go to as the lakes north of the Maybelle river don't have names. Does any one know which lakes north of the Maybelle has Lakers? Has anyone gone to lake Athabasca the back way north of Net (not the winter road)? Just not sure if you can quad all the way. Last year we went about 1/2 way. This year would like to go further.

tbosch

Reaction score
tbosch
We may run into you. We are planning to go the start of the second week of June. All subject to weather of course. Last year we were told of lakers north of Net lake. Wasn't sure of the lake to go to as the lakes north of the Maybelle river don't have names. Does any one know which lakes north of the Maybelle has Lakers? Has anyone gone to lake Athabasca the back way north of Net (not the winter road)? Just not sure if you can quad all the way. Last year we went about 1/2 way. This year would like to go further.

Right on. Our group will consist of 3 grizzlys ( a red, black and green one) a yellow outlander and a snorkelled green rubicon. Possibly more but thats who's confirmed at the moment. We should be there until the 14th or 15th of june. :beer:

JDB

Reaction score
Right on. Our group will consist of 3 grizzlys ( a red, black and green one) a yellow outlander and a snorkelled green rubicon. Possibly more but thats who's confirmed at the moment. We should be there until the 14th or 15th of june. :beer:

Sounds like a plan. We are a Kingquad, Vincent and Cat. The only confirmed so far. I am appoligizing for hijacking your post to talk about north of Net. I should have started a new post:eek:.

white6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted some info on the area in another thread. "Six Lakes - Ft Mac"
Nothing about fishing but if you wanted some more info on the area.. travelling distances etc. it might be worth peeking at.

tbosch

Reaction score
I posted some info on the area in another thread. "Six Lakes - Ft Mac"
Nothing about fishing but if you wanted some more info on the area.. travelling distances etc. it might be worth peeking at.

I had a look at your post just now. Tons of good information there. I'm really pumped about the trip now. The dates are not locked in now as we are waiting for everyone to get their poop in a group.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents have done the back way to Lake Athabasca.

If the Maybelle is high your gonna have a hard time crossing. Take some rope and a few snatch blocks so you can set up an anchor line.

Take spare oil, filter, plug and a 5 gal of gas with you just encase you swamp a quad you can do a quick flush if you have to.

It's best to leave early in the morning as its a full day event but one of the most beautiful trips you'll make in your life.

Top Bottom