Silverback questions

Muskeg_Affair

Reaction score
How rough of a ride is it with the silverbacks? I'm buying a new grizzly in september, and I want to install 28" tires. Either the silverbacks, or I might go with the mud lites. I ride around lac la biche, so clay packed trails, clay mud holes, and lots of muskeg to chew through. I love driving through big mud holes, but I don't want to completely ruin the ride on the packed trails. We usually average 40km/h on the clay, so I don't want it to be too rough. I'm keeping the stock 12" rims, so I'm hoping the extra rubber will soak up the vibrations a bit.

Any input is appreciated.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How rough of a ride is it with the silverbacks? I'm buying a new grizzly in september, and I want to install 28" tires. Either the silverbacks, or I might go with the mud lites. I ride around lac la biche, so clay packed trails, clay mud holes, and lots of muskeg to chew through. I love driving through big mud holes, but I don't want to completely ruin the ride on the packed trails. We usually average 40km/h on the clay, so I don't want it to be too rough. I'm keeping the stock 12" rims, so I'm hoping the extra rubber will soak up the vibrations a bit.

Any input is appreciated.
if your running about 40km/h on the packed stuff then you should do ok with the silverbacks....... I run mud lites now and have run the silverbacks....... mud lites are not quite as rough...... although at low speeds the silverbacks are quite rough in comparison.......0 - 15 km you will notice a significant difference between the mud lites and silvers....... but depending on the riding your doing...... I find the mud lites a pretty good tire....... but the silvers do chew quite a bit better..... so just depends what you want really........ they both have a few drawbacks.

Ryan14

Reaction score
i didnt find the silverbacks to ride that rough at all. i dont like the mud lites they might ride nicer but wont go threw near as much

Sammy

Reaction score
Pretty much agree with fat tire on this one. I run 30" backs on my 850 and was suprised at how rough they felt at low speed compared to the 29.5 outlaws. That being said you will only notice it at speeds of 15 km/hr or less and that will be on hard smooth ground. Most trails are ridden faster and have enough bumps, ruts , roots, ect that you will never notice the tires. The performance of the backs over the mudlites in most any condition will be enough to warrant choosing them. Just my thoughts.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the backs are far superior, just watch your stock axles, two outings ago my buddy snapped two within 15min of each other running 28" backs.
Of course he rides a Suzuki so you have to take that into consideration:d

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i like mine for spring riding conditions when there is a bottom to things. now they seem to just dig where outlaws paddle across. the silverbacks are also rounded more which makes them rougher and makes the inside tip of the lug where out fast.

Muskeg_Affair

Reaction score
I have to say that the silverbacks might be alright because if I'm riding slow, it's either rough or a mud hole. If it's smooth, I'm going fast enough to not feel the rough treads. I am a little worried about my axles though. I'd be more worried with 30 than 28, but they still look pretty aggressive. Have to do some contemplating over the next month before I buy my Grizzly. Looking forward to hitting the trail and letting the mud fly. I'm sure I'll find some hole from hell to get it nice and stuck in, lol. Thanks for the input guys. I might just go with the mudlites due to the less likely chance of breaking an axle.

However, over the next couple years, I'm going to upgrade my quad to make it better. Probably replace all the axles with gorilla axles. Definitely plan to get some 29.5" outlaws or 30" silverbacks. This winter I'm building custom aluminum snorkels and installing a clutch kit. I'll post pics of the snorkels when I build them.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would go with the outlaws or backs right from the beggining. You just have to have some control with the thumb in the skeg when your stuck just stop and winch out and you should have no problem with snapping axles.

cookgio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i agree but if you are worried about axles go with the outlaws and you will go farther anyways cause the silverbacks just dig down and the outlaws take you across and they have flat deep tread not rounded like the silverbacks and Also the outlaws are lighter than the silverbacks.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
Ya the backs are far superior, just watch your stock axles, two outings ago my buddy snapped two within 15min of each other running 28" backs.
Of course he rides a Suzuki so you have to take that into consideration:d

Ya it just takes thumb control and common sense, i"ve seen alot of kings with laws or backs. Havent supplied axles to them yet, or ever heard/seen them break. And im pretty sure that kawi gets its axles from the same place as suzuki, NTN.
Im on the fence with backs or laws, they both r insane grips!!!

Top Bottom