Secondary Shaft bearing (apex)

mxguy339

Reaction score
hey there the bearing on the secondary shaft (right beside the secondary pulley) cratered this weekend.All thats left is the outer race and need some ideas on how to get it out. the bearing is up against a shoulder and is retained by a snap ring....any help would be appreciated
its on a APEX

Thanks

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey there the bearing on the secondary shaft (right beside the secondary pulley) cratered this weekend.All thats left is the outer race and need some ideas on how to get it out. the bearing is up against a shoulder and is retained by a snap ring....any help would be appreciated
its on a APEX

Thanks

should be able to pop the snap ring out and tap the bearing out of the pillow block, any questions feel free to contact me at the shop during the day and i can walk u thru it..

Terry

780-826-6121 9-5

mxguy339

Reaction score
thanks...ya its in an awkward spot i'll give it a try tomorrow...i just don't want to take half the sled apart for it

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine went out at 3400km but that was because of some string getting wrapped around the shaft and getting in the bearing.
I used a dremel with a small grinding type stone on the end, Ground through the raise then bent the corner of it up with a chisel and pulled the raise out with vise grips.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yikes, now I'm worried, I've got 4600kms on mine. I'll have to replace it asap.

Thanks!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did mine at 6000 kms last year and it was still in not bad shape.

Last year I found a whole shop procedure on that bearing now I can't find it again... :(

The ID is tapered with a special collar. When re-installing a new bearing you HAVE to put it in the right way.

I'll keep looking to find that procedure....

mxguy339

Reaction score
Mine went out at 3400km but that was because of some string getting wrapped around the shaft and getting in the bearing.
I used a dremel with a small grinding type stone on the end, Ground through the raise then bent the corner of it up with a chisel and pulled the raise out with vise grips.

thanks a bunch i finally got the race out using a dremel and a stone....much appreciated

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't have to stress about it too much. Sounds like an expensive bearing probably only availabe from Yami?

mxguy339

Reaction score
ya the bearing wasn't that expensive...the fix is gonna cost me bout $150 cuz all the spacers/shims, the threaded collar and nut were all destroyed....i guess i can't complain it didn't wreck the shaft so thats a plus

mxguy339

Reaction score
I did mine at 6000 kms last year and it was still in not bad shape.

Last year I found a whole shop procedure on that bearing now I can't find it again... :(

The ID is tapered with a special collar. When re-installing a new bearing you HAVE to put it in the right way.

I'll keep looking to find that procedure....

Just wondering if you had any luck finding that procedure?

extremleyfastmax4

Reaction score
yup bearings are cheap go 2 a bearing supplier will be cheaper than the dealer that bearing takes a lot of load don,t wait till they go , i learned the hard way , my vmax600 twin riding in the ditch non stop fro 30 m iles at high speeds bearing was trying 2 seize up but engine kept pulling it till it cratered the pto bearing on the crank and got peaces up in to the cylinder wall and scored the jug so needless 2 say it cost me 1000 dollars in parts and 2 install bearing on crank . all over a 20 dollar bearing , ck beraings on hex shaft that turns the track drives allso can save a lot of trouble AL

Top Bottom