Ron Woods Single or Muzzys Dual Exhaust for Rhino 700?

Albertan

Reaction score
Pretty much as the title asks. Which of these two exhausts is the ticket. I spoke with Rob at The Mod Shop earlier today and he regularly uses the RW. Research on the internet seems to suggest the Muzzys is the favorite for the 700 FIs. I don't really care about looks. Maximum performance with minimum sound is what I am looking for (Yes I know both are going to be loud). Rob said the duals tend to be noisier. But if I have to run the discs on the RW to make it quieter and lose all the performance gains then I may as well go duals. Thanks for any feedback.

BTW, a cam and piston swap are planned as well. Cheers.

Albertan

Reaction score
You may as well just come over and listen to it. Lemme know if you want to hear it before the engine mods are done because I might be taking it in to Rob over the holidays, depending on how much time I spend at Joussard ice fishing. :beer:

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look into a MSD so you can build a fuel map for the changes you are making. It will be easier having it now before you do the cam and piston swap.

Albertan

Reaction score
I would look into a MSD so you can build a fuel map for the changes you are making. It will be easier having it now before you do the cam and piston swap.

I was planning on getting the MSD as I read it was the best of the units for the 700 FIs. Rob said he prefers the VDI units. I read their white paper and as I understand that technology better than the average schmoe since I used to drag race FI cars, I think I'll get the VDI unit. Heck Robs tuning it...may as well get whatever he is comfortable with. Too bad though. Redline wanted $600 for a MSD and I found them for $300 in the States.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get ahold of HUNTERWORKS in the states he has a program already biult for the muzzy and piston and cams.Pretty good guy to talk to.But he runs the MSD.I have the MSD and like it alot.This year is going to be the same as what you are running let me know how it works out for extra HP

Albertan

Reaction score
:beer:
If you get ahold of HUNTERWORKS in the states he has a program already biult for the muzzy and piston and cams.Pretty good guy to talk to.But he runs the MSD.I have the MSD and like it alot.This year is going to be the same as what you are running let me know how it works out for extra HP

Yeah, I've read HUNTERWORKS reviews of these products. That's one of the reasons I was planning on going the MSD/Muzzys route. The VDI isn't as well known as the MSD, especially since it comes out of Calgary. So you don't read about it as much as the MSD. But the VDI is more robust in what you can do with it. That is to say I think you can dial your ride in a little better with it.

Rob has a new cam profile he is having ground for the Rhino application, and it looks like it will be tried out in mine first. That means it's going to take a little more work to dial it in the first time. Since the vehicle will be tuned on the dyno and then not really need to be touched again (barring further mods), I'm going to go with the VDI which is what he is comfortable with. My thinking is he will be able to dial it in the best with that unit. And like I said, I don't plan on mucking with it so it doesn't much matter to me. If I was trying to make some changes myself, I'd go with the MSD for ease of use and online support. Cheers.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you planning on putting snorkels on your machine?

I finally just got my AEM wideband in the mail this week and hopefully will be installing it over the holidays, machine has been running a little fat from what I can tell so this will be nice so I can dial it in.

Rob knows his chit, and does awesome motor work. If I decide to do a 686 I will be booking does dyno time with him,.. but as it stands right now its not in the budget.

Albertan

Reaction score
Yeah I think I will likely snorkel it. I'm not that interested in trying to bury it in mud since I usually try to wash it every time out at the lake (we have a diesel/kerosene Hotsy at the cabin :d), and more mud equals more work when I get home. But sometimes there is just no way around a hole except straight through the middle. :beer:

The wideband will definitely help if its running rich. If you read VDI's white paper, it explains why that typically happens with units like the MSD. And yeah, I have heard nothing but great things abut Rob. I can do most of the work myself. But to be honest, after going down that road with street cars for several years, I'm at the point where someone else can wrench on them. I didn't find his labor rates too bad, and I just wanna ride and have fun.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The one thing I enjoy most about wrenching on my machine is learning about it and its components. Even though I am a diesel mechanic, I find working on things I am not used to, to be most enjoyable. When the time comes, I will be doing my own engine work, mostly because I am pretty anal about others touching my equipment :)

I snorkeled my machine shortly after I bought it used, both engine and belt case. More than once I needed to cross a body of water to get to where I was going, especially with the only way in or out.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup your is under the hood, where mine is under the middle console. For yours its fairly easy to run dual 1.5" pipes up from the cowl to the side posts. The cvt can be just run up from the back from between the seats to the rear rops pillars.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the muzzy duals are not that loud about the same as stock with the spark arrestor removed but sounds way better, only way to go is with the muzzys,

Albertan

Reaction score
Code:
the muzzy duals are not that loud about the same as stock with the spark arrestor removed but sounds way better, only way to go is with the muzzys,

Everything I read pointed to the Muzzys being the best. I'm going to try it the way it is and if I find it too loud I'll get the quiet cores for it. I saw the Ron Woods single at Redline for $1200 this afternoon as well. The Muzzys look better, apparently sound better, and cost about 75% of what the stealership wanted for the RW single.:beer:

Top Bottom