Rocky Point

PTS

Reaction score
Anybody been up to Rocky Point this year? Anyone up there lately? Thinking of going this week end.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody been up to Rocky Point this year? Anyone up there lately? Thinking of going this week end.

parents where up there last weekend, said they broke fresh going in the whole way. not a track to be found. Snow was really heavy from sun baking. This is all i will say:d

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rode here on sunday, 12" of fresh on top of concrete base. trail was brutally rough and frozen going in, softened up coming out.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
parked at the usual staging spot, still lots of snow on the road, a few dirt patches after the p-spot but the rest is white.

one slide path is a bit of a b*tch, lots o trees to get over

did lots of exploring..... lots more to see just can never pack enough gas in!

some crazy terrain in there when you can see! ran outta memory on the go pro couldn't take any more pics! video looks like crap also, not sure why when it's super sunny the vids are over exposed????
rokypt008.jpg
[/IMG]

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that rock on the right hand side... head up there and drop to the other side... that would be kain. That ridge on the left hand side, drop it to another 2 bowls if you wish

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, we looked down into Kane for our exit route but decided against it. We rode over to the radio tower and beyond.... got in some sweet ski lines and big cornice hucks. Like I said can't take enough fuel in there....

DooSummit

Reaction score
Has anyone been up into Rocky point recently? Is the trail busted in? A group of us are heading out that way on thursday and were planning on hitting up Silent, and wondering if Rocky Point might be a better spot for some untouched stuff.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been up into Rocky point recently? Is the trail busted in? A group of us are heading out that way on thursday and were planning on hitting up Silent, and wondering if Rocky Point might be a better spot for some untouched stuff.
Rocky pt is a dangerous place to be after a big storm cycle. I would not be heading in there with the current snow pack until the slides come down

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We haven't been in the back way ourselves...it sounds like it's sketchier than the main trail in though. Not sure I'd risk a new way in with conditions the way they are. The main trail gets alot of avys across it through the season, I think there's at least half a dozen paths that cross the trail, and the trail's about middle of the avy paths not in the runout zone, so you may or may not get across it. We had one that wasn't crossable last year until it snowed a bunch, ripped out twice as wide last year as any other year, it was a doozie. Lots of old growth trees came down. Be careful when the avy conditions are high, these avys cycle naturally, they aren't usually triggered slides and they could trap you in there.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interested in possibly trying Rocky Point this weekend. Just curious if the road and parking is okay for a 4 place enclosed? Sounds like a good area as long as you are careful about the Avy danger. Any advice is much appreciated.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who has been in there yet. Things are a bit touchy out here right now, I saw a couple south facing aspects rip out last week on their own. BIG stuff. Temps are cooling off so hopefully it will settle down.

summitking

Reaction score
I wasn't at Rocky at the weekend but drove past staging and past the turnoff and kept heading into the Bugaboo Heli Lodge. Past the staging at about 23 there was a decent slide that had come across the road, either than that nothing had come across the road yet. At km 21 staging there was about 5 or 6 trucks there (~11 sleds), knew a few of them as guys from the Brisco/Edgewater area. The road in on the Bugaboo road was fine, they are logging up to the 21 so the road was in good condition. One thing to note was I chatted with the guides at the CMH Heli operation that afternoon and they had the avy danger there as extreme, they felt it would not be overly easy to trigger a slide in the area but if you did, it would be a massive one, they really cautioned about going back in there last weekend.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had some friends thinking of heading in last Saturday...I'll try and find out what they encountered and let you know.

If a slide is across the road down below, it's pretty decent size mid-way up the trail. Lots of the slides cross the trail mid-way up and then hit the road towards the bottom of the slide...and many times they go up the other side. :eek:

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and info. I called my local insider as well to ask around (Mike from Renegade). Don't want to get in anywhere that is insane high risk but we have a good group of experienced riders and would like to see some new area.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nobody up here on the 6th :d had tons of fresh, i am thinking the most in the radium valley. Bumper deep was as bad as it got, from there it got better. Not sure if anyone else went up here on sat or sun but should be lots left over. There was a small cycle that come through during the week and put lots on the road way, it is settling fast but should hold nicely up top.

Top Bottom