Rer reverse

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey
Does anyone know why my RER would be very intermitted? I have been testing out this new to me rev and the RER does not seam to work all the time? It works good sometimes but more often than not it just dies.
Any ideas?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've found it takes a bit of getting used to, on mine, you have yo blip the throttle just before you push the button or it will sometimes stall. Stalls alot more when engine is cold.

Frank Swang

Reaction score
My Rev was doing the same thing last year, 1st check your carb boots they may have a rip in them, next test your compression on both holes, if it is low (110Lbs or less) this will REALLY affect the RER.

If you need carb boots i changed to Boyesen the eliminate the carb boot cracking issue, they are solid aluminum, little pricey but you won't have to worry anymore.

If you need to freshen up the top end i recommend the DUAL RING MCB piston kit, it comes with EVERYTHING you need to rebuild the top end and works well.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, Hopefully your right mitch, I never noticed it on that ZX i was riding last year.
And i hope Frank that you are wrong, i really dont want to do the top end yet
LOL
Thanks

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, Hopefully your right mitch, I never noticed it on that ZX i was riding last year.
And i hope Frank that you are wrong, i really dont want to do the top end yet
LOL
Thanks

Its a doo thing. Engine has to be warm. Wait for motor to hit low idle. give that little burp on the throttle before hitting the button (sometimes you don't have to do this) and wait for it to kick in before you throttle up. They are all like this.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These guys tell the truth.

Two things that go against RER.

1) Low compression
2) Cold engines

And the third, as stated, weak idles can be caused by air leaks, be it from the carb boots, bearings, Y-pipe, etc.

Good luck.

I don't blip my throttle at all considering the engine actually cuts ignition (stops the engine) and then suddenly fires again with advanced timing to get it to go in reverse. I do feel it works best with you press the button quickly. Don't just "push" it, but give it a quick jab.

Good luck.

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
RER wont engage if the idle is less than 1700RPM. And also check the pick-up coil conector.

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Winner is CRAPPY CARB BOOTS

I knew that this could have been an issue, but the one that you can see had been patched so i thought the other would have been to. I was wrong here are the pics to prove it. Compression was good and there is no damage to the pistons due to the carb boot thank goodness. The one boot had a hole big enough for my finger and when i pulled on it it ripped right off LOL
I will also note that you are very right Mitch it does take some getting used to, i tried another rev and it took a bit to get used to but once you got it figured it would go in almost every time, with mine with the crappy boots it would take 5 or 6 trys.

Here are some pics
PC110039.jpg

PC110040.jpg

PC110041.jpg

Also notice the Engine is on the floor not in the sled, I found a crack in the bulk head on the clutch side that i have to repair, so once the carbs are out it is pretty easy to yard the rest out.
I am also sure that it will not go in nearly as nice LOL

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I knew that this could have been an issue, but the one that you can see had been patched so i thought the other would have been to. I was wrong here are the pics to prove it. Compression was good and there is no damage to the pistons due to the carb boot thank goodness. The one boot had a hole big enough for my finger and when i pulled on it it ripped right off LOL
I will also note that you are very right Mitch it does take some getting used to, i tried another rev and it took a bit to get used to but once you got it figured it would go in almost every time, with mine with the crappy boots it would take 5 or 6 trys.

Here are some pics
PC110039.jpg

PC110040.jpg

PC110041.jpg

Also notice the Engine is on the floor not in the sled, I found a crack in the bulk head on the clutch side that i have to repair, so once the carbs are out it is pretty easy to yard the rest out.
Chitty about the bulkhead, lucky to find the cracked carb boots before it ruined something.....Too bad you don't have any good mechanic buddys :D:D:D

amunro

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ya the one I got is not very good. LOL
gonna take the sled up to Randy after I get it all cleaned up so he can weld the Bulkhead.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Here are some pics
PC110039.jpg

PC110040.jpg

PC110041.jpg

Good thing you found that boot when you did. Things could have been much worse!

Top Bottom