Read this. it will give you chills

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Read this. another avy victim

Went sleding to day with 6 in our group here in Grand Forks BC. Picture perfect day, untouched trails up to an untouched bowl. We dug a big pit, and everything seemed stable. One of my buds does a pull about 800 feet up and gets onto this bench. I follow, then my other freind (Dave Brussou) comes up and joins us.We are now sitting half way up the bowl on this bench that we've sat on many times before. My friends agg me on and get me to go out this chute. I go out get a little air and land on a little tree ( stuck but safe). My other freind Bruce tries to go out a little easier way and as he was nearing the top half the friggen mountain gives away,at least a metre slab X 6-7-- feet!
I watch as buddy Bruce surfs it out grabs a tree and luckily stays on top of the avy. I look down and theres Dave putting along( I can't beleive he didn't see it or maybe he didn't think it was going that fast cause he could have pinned it out of the way. He looked up and the avy burried him and I lost site of him instantly. I grab my pack and get down there on my arse as fast as I praying another one doesn't break. I pull out my beacon where I last seen him and NO beeping at all! My freinds at the bottom of the hill (1500' down) get a signal. I slide on my arse again and locate the strongest signal quickly. We found him under a metre and a half (5') and he was a gonner. To much trauma on the way down. After we dig him right out, gather up some sleds (except for mine which was 2000" feet straight up) We decided to make use of that huge back portion of the tunnel on Bruce's new xp and tied our dead buddy on and bring him down to the hospital.The doctor said we did the right thing by bringing him down, we were1 hour and a half bytruck and trails away from town. There were no police around town to tell Daves wife so we all went over and to her house to tell the bad news.
I found out later the cops were all out at another avy close by up the Cristian valley, I havn't heard the ooutcome of that yet. I also just heard that there was a big slide right at the BIG White ski hill (Within bounds) which is also very close.
Ride safe peeps! Ken

THIS IS A POST OFF SNOWEST. THIS IS NOT MY POST. THIS HAPPENED TODAY
make sure you guys are paying attention

Kelly

Last edited by a moderator:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Omg....that Would Be The Ultimate Low..... I Hope It Wasn't True, But They Did Mention Several Avys On The News Tonite, Including One In Kelowna's Big White Ski Resort, That Buried Several Skiiers. My Condolensces To The Family If This Is True!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
brutal...been checking out some avalanche sites and there is already 20 deaths this season in North America, on track for a record, please be careful out there folks.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
blink of an eye, be safe everyone!!!!

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sign up for avalanche training courses guys. They are excellent and really open up your eyes to what can happen and how to react. Better yet they teach you what is unsafe to ride so that these avalanches don't happen and everyone goes home safe at the end of the day.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the worst news to hear, my condolences to the families. This is shaping up to be a bad year,those that are trained correct and teach the untrained on the hill, don't turn a blind eye to what goes on around you. You can never truly predict an avy and I will always be a believer in the ABS bags as they keep you on top and help prevent burial/trauma.

Throttle-Junkie

Reaction score
Every time I read these stories I think more and more of who I ride with.. We have a good group and fairly knowledgeable gang..

When you go out riding always remember who you are riding with and if they actually know how to use a beacon and avy tools.. It doesn’t matter how much you know if your down and under you cant do much.. Teach, Learn, Listen, Read.. You can never learn to much about safety..

We know some local guys knocking down good size avys in the Golden area on sleds.. Anything north facing in the Quartz area is very likely to fall...
When we were out there 2 weekends ago we heard they were dropping 50lb explosives from the heli, the initial drop and just the weight of the bag set off a 200m wide slide, the explosive set off another the same size at the time of detonation..( I do believe this was the chatter area).

Thoughts go out to the family friends and those who have lost..

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Sad :( my condolences also to family and friends.
I`m in an avy course yesterday and today in the field. Learned about the avulator tool that is online, another tool for us all to use to help estimate the risks.
Avaluator
I`ll let you know what we find in the snow today.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avy conditions at this time are HIGH please be careful. Checked police report for the area and SAR, appears to be true.

Last edited by a moderator:

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad :( my condolences also to family and friends.
I`m in an avy course yesterday and today in the field. Learned about the avulator tool that is online, another tool for us all to use to help estimate the risks.
Avaluator
I`ll let you know what we find in the snow today.

Great tool, thanks Powder Puff.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Completed the field portion of the Avalanche Level I this past weekend at Golden. I strongley recommend that if you are riding in avalanche terrain that you take this course, in fact this should almost be a prerequisite if you are a rider in avalanche terrain. You learn such valuable information from looking at the simple things as you are riding along to your play area (which can tell you alot about what to expect that day) to the more technical (snow pits, snow composition, etc) and learning how to understand and use your equipment. You talk to a lot of riders and they tell you they have all the equipment but do they know how to use it????? I know I thought I had a good understanding on how to use my avy equipment but when you are doing a search for a body under a couple of meters of snow it puts a whole different perspective on things and when you add in a multiple search it gets really interesting. As a side note as we were doing the course it cleared off enough to see some riders highmarking to the west of us on a very steep hill (under a overhanging cornice), now with the avalanche reports as high or considerable above tree line and with the season shaping up to be one of the worst in a few years you have to wonder what is going through their head???
I know when I am riding this year I will be very selective about the areas where I will be riding. Have a safe riding season!!!

Billy Boy:cool:

renegade x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My condolances to the family and friends of the many people that have been taken this year.Be safe people.:(

Top Bottom