Questions on garage floor coating

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the crap the city is putting on the streets,
My garage floor is starting to pit.
I am looking at putting on a floor coating.
Would like to know the good, bad and ugly experiences.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we did the 200$ do it yourself kit from canadian tire. Holding up well so far! preparation is everything much better to do on a new slab. im sure the professional applicating companies product is far superior but figured we would give it a shot

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the rustoleum epoxy on mine. Maybe 5-6 years ago, has lasted pretty well. Before you do anything do a moisture test and make sure your pad does not make too much moisture. I would do it again, it for sure is a lot of prep and you need to fill and have a satisfactory surface before you epoxy because there is next to no leveling effect created. Prep is easy with an epoxy filler, literally goes on like drywall mud.
The weakness I have found with mine is I use winter floor containments for my vehicles and they trap moisture between the mat and pad. The epoxy does not like this at all and peels off in chunks.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
As mentioned above concrete moisture / ph levels, and surface prep is absolutely key. I did the garage floor in my last house, but I used polyaspartic. Polyaspartic is much better product than epoxy, it will handle heat from tires, spills, and general abuse do to being a polyurethane based product. You want to make sure you use a proper respirator, because the A side is a isocyanate. You can purchase Polyaspartic through Conspec and I think Unicon in Edmonton. In terms of prep once you are sure the moisture and ph levels are within check, you will want to grind the concrete. A grinder with a diamond disc works well, a dust collector attached to a shop vac helps to controll the mess. Once it's ground you want to seal / prime the concrete with a epoxy primer . When it comes time to lay the floor coating down depending on the size of area you are coating you are going to need a few helpers. You will only want to mix a bit at a time as the working window is fairly short, but basically you mix it pour it out, squeegee to spread around, back roll it once, you can them lay a decorative chip or quartz to it (quickly before it dries). If you use a chips you are going to have to use a scrapper once it's dry to knock down the high spots. Vacuum to loose stuff up then apply 2 coats of clear. In your second coat you should add in a anti slip grit it in. Again Conspec should have all this, I believe they may rent grinders also.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks went to Conspec the polyaspartic was $1300 for all I would need
But can get my floor done with 15 year warranty for just over 2k
Hearing about some of the box store stuff lifting going to get someone to place it.

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the box stores only do epoxy coatings. Polyaspartic is not cheap but if the proper prep is done it will last longer than the garage its in. Just curious how big is your garage? And where did you get the 2K quote from?

craggar2011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to get someone to do it give Chris @ NCR a call 780-686-9988. Him and his brother do it and are great guys. Probably not the cheapest but definitely quality work.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My garage is small only 380 sqft
Someone that was at the home and garden show
still waiting for a few more quotes to come in

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got Zone Garage out of Edmonton to do my shop floor around $7400 to do it well worth the money its a polyurea floor Marc is a great guy to deal with and awesome service

Attachments

• garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 108
  • garage1.jpg
    garage1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 106

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used epoxy coat and very happy with results. It’s been tough and easy to put on. I’ll definitely use it again. Tried the Canadian stuff.....this is way better.

E86FA52A-A2A8-4EE5-9757-A67E9AD980AB.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom