Quartz Creek 2013/14

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much most places in the Rockies has been pounded by snow, then huge wind, now warm temps. which makes for a hard slab. We haven't had fresh for awhile, and everywhere is getting ridden out. This weekend, plan on sunscreen and Spring temps. forecasting above freezing for alpine elevations. :(

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty much most places in the Rockies has been pounded by snow, then huge wind, now warm temps. Makes for a hard slab. No fresh for awhile so everywhere is getting ridden. This weekend, plan on sunscreen and Spring temps. forecasting above freezing for alpine elevations. :/

sadly we cannot control mother nature...... Thanks for the updates Tam

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Spring riding is fabulous! It's all what you make it. :) Nothing beats fun on the mountain with friends, regardless of what you're doing. :D

been out there in "spring" with you guys before, will be a good weekend. Lots of socializing, some sledding, and some eating/drinking.

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just got back yesterday from riding quartz for 3 days. Snow is deep but avy conditions are high. You could see where slides had come down every where. Just have to be careful and use common sense. We couldn't believe how many dumb people we seen out there this weekend highmarking steep slopes with 2 and 3 guys at the same time.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We just got back yesterday from riding quartz for 3 days. Snow is deep but avy conditions are high. You could see where slides had come down every where. Just have to be careful and use common sense. We couldn't believe how many dumb people we seen out there this weekend highmarking steep slopes with 2 and 3 guys at the same time.

The knobbs were out for sure on saturday. just about get hit by some idiot on a turbo yammy ripping around the cabin like a do*che. then watch couple guys climbing left of the cabin and back towards the park boundary. couple on the hill at a time, turn around and look back and buddy set off an avy (anyone with an ounce of knowledge could see it was a matter of time before that slope let go) buried up to his neck with one arm out. two guys go up and dig him out. they get the sled out and come back down to the bottom and sit for a bit, then go start playing beside the slide that just came down. I could venture a guess that they had no clue what the avy forcast was that day.
I don't really care if you want to be an idiot and get yourself killed, but the shitty part of it is that its not you that suffurs, its your friends and family. Not to mention the people that risk there lives to try and save you.
Be smart out there.
Needless to say, that was a bit of a experience for the beginner I was with that witnessed it.

twistedwrist

Reaction score
Any body heading out in the golden area this weekend? looking for condition updates? lookin at heading up after the weekend. Pics would be great! looking at heading anywhere around golden.

goldtip

Reaction score
Rode Quartz on Saturday and it was Bluebird skies all day, damn cold and the ALpine was tracked up above the cabin, but great views and weather. Found plenty of less tracked soft stuff down low in the creek bottoms and to the left of the cabin. Was all in all a great trip. Snow not stellar, but plenty of it and got to see some great country. Met some nice folks at the local Arctic Cat dealership and bought a new helmet. Very helpful folks and they worked hard on a buddies sled when he overheated and headed to town, so I gotta give that shop a big thumbs up.

Hydro

Reaction score
Anybody out at Quartz today? Just wondering how it was, and if the snow had settled a bunch due to the warm weather and potential rain. Was looking to drive up tomorrow am, but may stay home if it's not that great.

Also, looking for someone to ride with, as all of my riding partners are unfortunately unavailable. I'm AST-1 Certified, have beacon, shovel, probe, satellite phone, survival kit, Rino Radio, etc. Not a novice, but not an advanced rider either.

Thanks!

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pooring rain here at house, however its -2 ...

we came out in the dark and snowing at the 3km mark.

the trail head will suck in rain, but up top will be fun in the trees.
sure you'll be wet, but fun awaits ...

sorry forgot to say, we weren't at quartz but our usual go to zone.
highway came shows puking snow at quartz ...

sure avy danger is high but fun and stucks in trees await ...

Last edited:

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I want to throw a thank you out to the gentleman on saturday who donated what was left in his jerry can to me getting out from the cabin. It was enough to get me out and teach me that on pow days to carry me jerry until i can get an etec!!

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. Looking for a riding partner in Golden next week on Wed (Apr 23rd). I usually ride Sicamous but only have time for a single day next week, so I'm looking to meet up with someone or a group in Golden for the day. I'm an experienced rider with my AST 1. Been into Quartz a few times and Silent a couple of days before. I've only got room for the one sled on my truck but would pull someones trailer from Calgary if they wanted to come for the day. Leaving Calgary by 6:00am Wed returning that evening. Thanks guys.
PM or text me at 403-966-6857
Chris

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. Looking for a riding partner in Golden next week on Wed (Apr 23rd). I usually ride Sicamous but only have time for a single day next week, so I'm looking to meet up with someone or a group in Golden for the day. I'm an experienced rider with my AST 1. Been into Quartz a few times and Silent a couple of days before. I've only got room for the one sled on my truck but would pull someones trailer from Calgary if they wanted to come for the day. Leaving Calgary by 6:00am Wed returning that evening. Thanks guys.
PM or text me at 403-966-6857
Chris
I think your calendar is broken.

Top Bottom