Problems with starting 650 V2

charity650

Reaction score
I own 2 Arctic Cat 650 V2 quads and neither of them like to start in cold, and 1 has issues in the warmer weather. I chipped the one and it seems to be helping, but the other remains a mystery. All the technicians in our area can't seem to find out why these machines are doing this, if there is anyone out there who may be able to give some answers, PLEASE HELP! Oh another quick question, Does anyone know where the restrictor is on a 2006 DVX 90?

THANK-YOU
Charity

bt650i

Reaction score
my brute force 650 (same engine as V2) doesn't like to start sometimes unless you choke till it fires, then turn back to half and away it goes... been that way since new...

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't help you with the V2... but I have a 2004 AC90, the governer is in the carb. Pop the carb off (easy) open the top and pull out a sleeve that is slid down in there some where. This sleeve restricts the needle from sliding up to WOT. Get rid of it and she will spin the tires and rev out like it was designed to... as long as you turn the screw all the way back on the throttle (thumb area ya know). I also eliminated the spark arrester in the tail pipe. If you want to go even faster, there is a shim in the primary clutch that restricts the cluth from sqeezing completely closed... there was on my 2004 anyways. I believe it is the identicle machine with exeptions of the plastic and four stroke plant.:cool:

Scotty.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe the 02 V2 Cats uses the Kawi choke cable and definetly uses the 02 Kawi choke plungers and springs. The radius of the 02 Kawi choke cables were too small causing binding, thus the choke plunger would not open completely, might not close completely, or/and might brake the cable. The spring on the choke plunger and the plunger for 02 was also a problem. The solution is to change out plungers, springs, and cable to the 03 parts (actually I believe the 02 parts have been superseded to the 03 part numbers).

Like BT650i said, these engines like alot of fuel for cold starts; cold start with full choke.

Other things to consider and try:
  • Check valve lash. Zero lash results in difficult cold starts.
  • Check for correct spark plugs and proper gap. Cold engines require crisp spark.
  • Properly set idle mixture screw. Try 1/4 to 1/2 turn further out on each carb. A low speed stumble when snapping the throttle open indicates a problem in the pilot (idle to 1/4 throttle) cuircut.
  • Check carb float level. Too low results in harder cold starts.
  • Use a fuel stabilizer if the fuel left in the fuel tank often exceeds 45 days old. Fuel stabilizer does not restore stale fuel so the stablizer must be added when the fuel is fresh. These cold blooded engines are hyper sensitive to stale fuel on cold starts.
  • Have a compression test and a leak down test done. Unlike to have a problem on two machines, but worth the check if nothing else helps
  • PM me. I'll check the IPL to see if the enricher jets are replacable.
BTW, changing the choke cable is no fun at all.

Top Bottom