Post pics of your house build

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never got the huge master bedroom. Wasted space in a house and it usually comes with smaller bedrooms. I would talk with the builder about plumbing in the wall behind the kitchen sink. Dark kitchen is going to hurt you down the road.

Sterling built us a new house in 1992, and unless the Company mentality has changed, I cannot recommend them.

Keep looking and find one with a real garage, not the 20' deep ones.

My $0.02

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The dark kitchen can be remedied with a sunshine ceiling or even a skylight.

A large master might not be a big deal to you but will make a difference in re-sale.... parents want a big bedroom.

Larger garage is a plus.....location is tricky, many people don't want to be close to a busy road while others view it as easy access...

I can hear Highway 43 from my house which sometimes bugs me a little but I also have full 4 lane hwy for my entire commute... + & - to everything...

I could never again live in the city....

I would think that if the dark kitchen is your biggest complaint then that can be easily remedied...

Got a question for you guys building right now, or anyone really. I am deadlocked between buying two houses right now and just can't decide.

One house has a bigger garage 20x24 (huge huge plus for me), and a massive master bedroom and overall about 100 sq/ft bigger then other house. But the one crappy part is there isn't a single window in the kitchen and it is super super dark and closed in. Smaller backyard that backs onto busier street. Also has back fence already in, not a big deal but it really seems like this house has more value in it with bigger garage, bigger house, etc.

The other house is really open, but 20x20 garage. But kitchens a lot brighter. Backs onto houses and really quiet crescent. House is $3,400 more but it's so minor in the overall value so doesn't make much difference to me.

Me being single I don't care that much about the kitchen, but i've got to look down the road eventually selling, etc and later on I might care. How big of deal is a dark kitchen? It's a brand new house, and there is heating or plumbing pipes in the wall so no chance of taking it out to get light in.

Both houses I can't make any changes to since they are specs and one is completely finished so no difference there.

O and if anyone has any experience with Sterling Homes, or MacLachlan and Mitchell Homes i'd be interested to know.

Going to look at both again tomorrow to try and help the decision. But some input would be good :beer:

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your timeline is 10-20 years do what you want. If your looking short term holding/speculating markets can be tricky, ever hear of the stock market? :twocents:In 20 years the kitchen will need to be flipped anyway so go BIG garage!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, there is no way to fix the dark kitchen, no windows in the sides of the houses allowed for the most part and not like I want to rip a new house apart anyways. And it's a 2 story so nothing from the ceiling either. The huge master bedroom I don't mind, the upstairs is just that much bigger then the other house and the space is used there and the main bathroom and bigger walk in closet. It also does have main floor laundry, weird though I didn't think it would even matter. I also forgot to mention, the one house the one with the better kitchen also has a fireplace, dunno if that's huge I know I couldn't careless.

Would you take a house with a big master bedroom, bigger walk in closet and bigger main bathroom, and main floor laundry, and settle for a dark kitchen? Or is the kitchen to important?

I will only be living in it max 3-5 years. Enough time to build some equity and property values to rise then selling to build. Want to build now, but hard to find a lot in the city in my price range. I wish I could buy a lot where I am looking at these houses, and financing is a pain right now, they are asking to show 20% of house value in cash. $120-130k lot for a $360k house. I know I could build and not lift a finger on it and still be in for well under $300k.

Here's one of the houses.
REALTOR.ca - Property Details E3242379

This one isn't the exact one. The one i'm looking at has the bigger 20x20 garage and a tiny bit different colors but exact same floorplan.

REALTOR.ca - Property Details E3236204

Honestly, I like both houses and really don't care which one I buy. The bigger garage is the only thing tipping my decision and resale. I couldn't careless about a kitchen, fireplace, main floor laundry or any of that stuff. I've been looking for 3 months or so, nothing else is being built in my price range, and 6 month wait to get one built. Plus $2,400 extra for 2 feet on the garage. 24x20 garage comes with a hefty price tag :eek:

I really think the sterling has a lot more value in it, just the retards who designed the kitchen. I know it's been up for sale for a while looked at it a good month ago with my bro and it was finished then. Whatever one I buy, I will be lowballing the builder and getting them down every single penny possible :d

Last edited:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A large master might not be a big deal to you but will make a difference in re-sale.... parents want a big bedroom.
Never figured out why people need 6 feet all the way around their bed, but stuff the kids in a 10x9 closet. Ours isn't small, but won't be able to have a yoga class in there either.

I spend more time in the crapper than I do awake in the bedroom:d

I'll be dead when they sell it, so resale means nothing to me!!!:cool:

Larger garage is a plus.....location is tricky, many people don't want to be close to a busy road while others view it as easy access...24x26 garage was minimum, but I have a detached 28x30, so lots of garage room.

I can hear Highway 43 from my house which sometimes bugs me a little but I also have full 4 lane hwy for my entire commute... + & - to everything...

1/2 mile of pavement to Highway 16, 3 miles from Sherwood Park, across the county road from the "New Sherwood Park" and a 15 minute commute to work. I can barely hear the highway from the yard, and for 6 months of the year I can't see the neighbors either

I could never again live in the city.... DITTO

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked at the house again, the master is SO huge. Is bigger then the 2nd and 3rd bedroom combined, plus more, it is probably 300 sq/ft. For me, I don't care. I will be living there alone 1 will be a office the other.....Dunno probably empty. But even in the master I don't know what you can do with that much room. But I will say there is 3 huge windows it is a heck of a nice room. Not sure what i'll do with a walk in closet or all these linen closets either :confused:

Found out today to, the sterling home has internet, and cable in all rooms, which mac and mitch doesn't. Not huge but is a hassle to be running in after. And the house has been finished and sitting for over a month, listed on mls for about 3. Realtor hinted that if I make a offer really low they'd likely take it to get rid of it before the new year, and that once a house is finished they want to get rid of it asap. Weird to, only appliance included is the dishwasher, doesn't matter though i'd just put appliances in the offer.

The kitchen wasn't as dark as I remember. I'd say it's bright enough in the afternoon on a day like today to be in there without a light on. Price is the biggest factor for me now cause I like the house. The backyard isn't huge either, but meh big enough for a deck and some other stuff, less work for me :d

Think i'm going to put in a offer later on this week, just want one more look at it. Thinking i'm going to offer like $15k off list and $5k credit for appliances and furniture. I know how much profit there is in houses gotta make them a nice lower offer :d Just gotta figure out where good places are for couches, kitchen table, bed that sort of thing.

One day I plan to move out of the city, but I can't afford my dream house so no point to do it now. And it's not that bad. If I got a garage I can park in and stuff, i'm happy.

Last edited:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roofers officially finished yesterday. 50 yr shingles so hopefully I never have to touch them.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys find any good HVAC guys? I'm just about ready for rough in.

CRF230LKEL

Reaction score
Well, there is no way to fix the dark kitchen, no windows in the sides of the houses allowed for the most part and not like I want to rip a new house apart anyways. And it's a 2 story so nothing from the ceiling either. The huge master bedroom I don't mind, the upstairs is just that much bigger then the other house and the space is used there and the main bathroom and bigger walk in closet. It also does have main floor laundry, weird though I didn't think it would even matter. I also forgot to mention, the one house the one with the better kitchen also has a fireplace, dunno if that's huge I know I couldn't careless.

Would you take a house with a big master bedroom, bigger walk in closet and bigger main bathroom, and main floor laundry, and settle for a dark kitchen? Or is the kitchen to important?

I will only be living in it max 3-5 years. Enough time to build some equity and property values to rise then selling to build. Want to build now, but hard to find a lot in the city in my price range. I wish I could buy a lot where I am looking at these houses, and financing is a pain right now, they are asking to show 20% of house value in cash. $120-130k lot for a $360k house. I know I could build and not lift a finger on it and still be in for well under $300k.

Here's one of the houses.
REALTOR.ca - Property Details E3242379

This one isn't the exact one. The one i'm looking at has the bigger 20x20 garage and a tiny bit different colors but exact same floorplan.

REALTOR.ca - Property Details E3236204

Honestly, I like both houses and really don't care which one I buy. The bigger garage is the only thing tipping my decision and resale. I couldn't careless about a kitchen, fireplace, main floor laundry or any of that stuff. I've been looking for 3 months or so, nothing else is being built in my price range, and 6 month wait to get one built. Plus $2,400 extra for 2 feet on the garage. 24x20 garage comes with a hefty price tag :eek:

I really think the sterling has a lot more value in it, just the retards who designed the kitchen. I know it's been up for sale for a while looked at it a good month ago with my bro and it was finished then. Whatever one I buy, I will be lowballing the builder and getting them down every single penny possible :d

I have bought and sold many houses over the years.
For resale the bedroom and garage being bigger are great.
And really its not usually hard to add windows, or skylights.
Basements are harder if concrete to add a window to, as you need to support hte floor joists, then rent a concrete saw to cut the hole, and then build a framework for it, but it can be done.
On main floors, its usually simple, even if a load bearing wall, just build adequate structure for the load.
As for a fireplace, thats easy now to with many direct vent models and stuff.
No need to build a huge chimney like many years ago.

Just some ideas is all.

Things I personally hate in some houses: Too small or too few of closets.
Basement laundry room.
Entrance way that is too small.....its hard if 5 or 6 people enter at once, and no one can move to remove coats and shoes etc.
Master bedroom to small to put all the furniture, nightstands, and king bed.
Lack of bathrooms............I say 3 minimum, even if one is just a toilet and sink, thats fine.
But i have kids, and we need 2 min, 3 is better.

CRF230LKEL

Reaction score
Hey showtime, This is our lttle piece of Heaven On Cluculz lake. it is about 50 km west of PG. very nice lake about 14 miles long with about an average of 1.5 miles wide. very deep, about 750ft out from the cabin it can be up to 250 ft deep. Lots of cabins on the lake from the 60's and 70's. Very little traffic on the lake.

I have since sold it, but had a cabin on Cluculz for years.
Its a nice lake for everything from fishing, to cruising, to water skiing.
Mine was very near the east end, and actually just a gradual slope to the lake which is nice. I launched my boat and jetskis right from my cabins yard into the lake, just needed 4wheel drive since it was soft.:)

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few pictures tonight of the tile for the floor and color of railing and fireplace

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 21.JPG
    21.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 244
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 240

Burns

Reaction score
I'm still having a heck of a time...I'm finding out everyone does renos and retro fitting but not too many do custom new...sure like to hear from anyone if they know...only two quotes being done as I type.
Did you try Weiss Johnson? My Uncle is an estimator there and I am think they do custom install.

Top Bottom