Post pics of your house build

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are several of us on here building new houses this year. Some are getting them built, and some of us are being our own general contractors.

Post up your pics!!!:beer:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are building a 1700 sq ft walkout bungalow on our acreage near Ardrossan.

We started unofficially on June 29th by moving our apple tree. It was located in the middle of the new garage.

June-29-Apple-Tree-1.jpg

Surveying was completed July 9th.

July-9-looking-west.jpg

Excavation was July 12th

July-12-stripping-topsoil.jpg

It then proceeded to rain over 4" in the next 48 hours. Thought I was building a swimming pool!!!

Footings were poured July 28th

July-28-Foundation-House.jpg

Basement walls were poured Aug 5th.

Aug-5-cribbing-northeast.jpg

Garage

Aug-5-cribbing-west.jpg

And today I'm out getting the basement foundation ready for waterproofing. After that is weeping tile and external sump.

More pics to follow.

scorpio

Reaction score

We started unofficially on June 29th by moving our apple tree. It was located in the middle of the new garage.

June-29-Apple-Tree-1.jpg

Surveying was completed July 9th.

July-9-looking-west.jpg

Excavation was July 12th

July-12-stripping-topsoil.jpg

And today I'm out getting the basement foundation ready for waterproofing. After that is weeping tile and external sump.

More pics to follow.

Your lot grade looks a lot like mine. I have a walkout bungalow in Boag Lake Estates (East of Sherwood Park) and in order for my basement to walkout, the contractor had to create a "bowl" with an external sump pit and pump. I quickly found out that in a heavy rainfall, a lot of water pours into this "bowl" and the pump needs to be at least 1/2 HP. Not sure what to do yet about the risk of a power failure. If yours is the same case, what is your plan for your external sump?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crazy RETODD I though you sold the place? What happened?

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your lot grade looks a lot like mine. I have a walkout bungalow in Boag Lake Estates (East of Sherwood Park) and in order for my basement to walkout, the contractor had to create a "bowl" with an external sump pit and pump. I quickly found out that in a heavy rainfall, a lot of water pours into this "bowl" and the pump needs to be at least 1/2 HP. Not sure what to do yet about the risk of a power failure. If yours is the same case, what is your plan for your external sump?

I'm looking at the same thing for my new place, on the survey it's called a "well", some guys call it a forced walkout. I figured you could just run it into the weeping tile, not so sure now.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Looks great Dean. I'm running a few weeks behind schedule already, had an issue with the rear elevations but all fixed now. Going to apply for permits at the end of the week, hopefully breaking ground before September.:beer:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shingles are done now.
Framers are finishing a few things up.

The plumbers should start Wednesday..

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,022
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,006

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the same thing for my new place, on the survey it's called a "well", some guys call it a forced walkout. I figured you could just run it into the weeping tile, not so sure now.

I'm putting weeping tile inside and outside of the footings. The weeping tile will go to the external sump(36" dia vertical concrete pipe) at the low point about 4 feet from the house. No internal sump(no flooding). Pump will pump it out away from the house.

My lot has more grade than it looks. From the front of the garage to the back of the walkout is just over 6'. Just west of the house and about 2 feet lower than the walkout is our pond. It is clay lined now, but will have a rubber liner in it soon. The grade drops 4 feet to the west, and 4 feet to the east from the foundation. I am adding a lot of fill to make sure the grade is adequate for proper drainage.

Last edited:

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Retodd, looks like good clay for the basement, hopefully you didn't get the down pour in the city tonight.

arff, looks great, nice big garage. I have a detached 26x28 garage, so the attached is only 26x24. Sure looks small now, but will be lots of room for the minivan and the lawn tractor.

I am looking forward to framing and shingles stage!!!:d Spent 5 hours today cleaning up the snap tie holes, smoothing out the ridges, and getting ready to waterproof. Clean off the footings tomorrow, finish cleaning the snap tie holes, tar the snap tie holes, and get the kids started on rolling on the waterproofing:eek:

Now its miller time:beer::beer::beer:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
your lot grade looks a lot like mine. I have a walkout bungalow in boag lake estates (east of sherwood park) and in order for my basement to walkout, the contractor had to create a "bowl" with an external sump pit and pump. I quickly found out that in a heavy rainfall, a lot of water pours into this "bowl" and the pump needs to be at least 1/2 hp. Not sure what to do yet about the risk of a power failure. If yours is the same case, what is your plan for your external sump?

hmmmmmmm, my mom lives out at boag lake too........ I keep my 28ft sled trailer on her property......... I think you're just down the road from her???

scorpio

Reaction score

You might overload it. I suggest running 2" piping away from the house. This should work with a 3/4 HP pump and handle the volume of water that can be pumped without to much head pressure.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few inside framed pictures.

We are having vaulted ceilings

Also a arch with a plant ledge on top between the kitchen and great room

Attachments

• IMG00498.jpg
    IMG00498.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG00499.jpg
    IMG00499.jpg