Polaris Industries: Refusal to Issue Warranty Letter for Border Crossing

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris Industries: Refusal to Issue Recall Clearance Letter for Border Crossing

So I am trying to import my 2014 Pro that I had built by Burandt in Colorado. I contacted Polaris 4 weeks ago for a recall [my mistake - first said warranty] clearance letter for RIV purposes. Yesterday - I get this email.
I am so mad that I cannot even see straight. Not just the content - but that it took 4 weeks to get a response. I understood it is the holidays - but sheesh. And this. With the $ dropping there is no incentive to go down there, and likely it is more costly when you count in mileage costs. Plus - I wouldn't have picked a dealership in Southern Colorado if that was my intent.
RIV was great. All they asked for was a printout of the dealer warranty screen. Problem solved.

Polaris - you just sold your first and only sled to me. 12 years of BRP and I think I will be going back.

Greg,

Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries with your request for a BCL on the 2014 800 Pro RMK 163.

Polaris Industries does not promote cross boarder sales. As a parent company we have dealerships on both sides of the border and need to protect the best interest of everyone involved. As a result, Polaris cannot approve your request for a BCL. The unit that you have purchased is a new current model year sled and does not qualify as a used unit. We also show that you were the first/original consumer to be registered to this unit.

If you have any questions we would recommend that you follow up with the dealership or individual that sold you this unit.

Respectfully,

Traci
Polaris Industries

Last edited:

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very few manufacturers will honour warranty for cross border sales on new sleds. Cars and trucks have the same issue or did anyway.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is this document supposed to contain that customs needs to see? Everyone knows that the manufacturers don't provide warranty across the border from whence it was sold new.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of coming on here and complaining after the fact you should have asked first, most guys would have told you about that before you spent all that money. It is very common knowledge that most companies will not honor warranty from another country, be it here, Mexico, or Europe. And not just on sleds and cars, lots of stuff. Sorry that has happened to you but to blame Polaris is a bit much.

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what Barefooter was asking for from Polaris was a recall clearance letter. This is required when importing any motorized vehicle. This simply states that there are no outstanding warranty campaigns for the sled. It has nothing to do with actuall warranty coverage.

Pretty easy to jump on a guy when you have no idea what he was actually asking for.......

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He asked Polaris for a "warranty clearance letter" when he should have asked Polaris for a "recall clearance letter". :shrug:

https://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx

I think what Barefooter was asking for from Polaris was a recall clearance letter. This is required when importing any motorized vehicle. This simply states that there are no outstanding warranty campaigns for the sled. It has nothing to do with actuall warranty coverage.

Pretty easy to jump on a guy when you have no idea what he was actually asking for.......

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Recall clearance letter. Polaris refers to it as a "border clearance letter". Warranty was a mis-description. I have corrected above.

Slow on a Friday afternoon?

And yes - I know fully well they won't honor a warranty up here. It is a boosted sled - so I really don't give a rat's azz as even if I had bought it from a Cdn dealer - they would have denied coverage. If I have issues - the dealer down there will ship parts.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
When i've bought and brought across the boarder, the dealer/seller has always supplied the recall clearance letter(from the manufacturer), and not a request from me to the manufacturer directly .... Could burandt not supply that? Or whatever selling dealer it was?

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When i've bought and brought across the boarder, the dealer/seller has always supplied the recall clearance letter(from the manufacturer), and not a request from me to the manufacturer directly .... Could burandt not supply that? Or whatever selling dealer it was?

Ric:

Just got the dealer to print out their warranty screen that states that there were no outstanding recalls. RIV accepted that no problem.

Just got me a little hot as:

1.) I have never had a problem with any other manufacturer. Suzuki and Yamaha for bikes. BRP for sleds. A lot trucks and trailers.

2.) You think they could have told me 4 weeks ago? I had a letter from Keystone for the trailer I am bringing back before I ended the call with the customer service rep.

G

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Polaris Industries: Refusal to Issue Recall Clearance Letter for Border Crossing

Usually the dealer supplies that not the manufacturer uta just a sheet showing that no recalls exist or that they have been done

Sent from my S4

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
ric:

Just got the dealer to print out their warranty screen that states that there were no outstanding recalls. Riv accepted that no problem.

Just got me a little hot as:

1.) i have never had a problem with any other manufacturer. Suzuki and yamaha for bikes. Brp for sleds. A lot trucks and trailers.

2.) you think they could have told me 4 weeks ago? I had a letter from keystone for the trailer i am bringing back before i ended the call with the customer service rep.

G
don't blame ya, greg... I'd be a little hot under the collar too...... Funny how they always seem to leave it to the last minute, then surprise you with a letter like that

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the world of poker it is called a Slow Roll. They slow rolled you.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Polaris Industries: Refusal to Issue Recall Clearance Letter for Border Crossing

I bought a few sleds last year. If you go on the Polaris US website you can print the recall clearance information yourself. If I can find the web address I'll post it here but it's on the site.

Old Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hi All This just shows me that corporation run the Government and the Border to control us dumb Canadians for extra dollars on all the stuff they sell to us for 3x the price of it in USA.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score

Would Erik have not had all this info already, this isn't his first rodeo. I'm not positive that there is only one guilty party here. If sled was bought from alpine do they not have a line for the border crossing. Could there not be a variance applied for since the sled is customized? This is all very confusing as to the issue. Was the support from the dealer not there. Most times doesn't the dealer assist with the paperwork and coaching for the possible issues?

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I kind of applaud Polaris for standing behind there dealer network and doing what little they can to promote cross border shopping. This is an oddball case with special circumstances but i have dealt with many manafactures that will sell out there dealers on a whim.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca

Any Polaris dealer can print it off for you. Just needs the dealers letter head and info on the sheet, the dealers signature and the sleds VIN. Then the sheet just has to state that there is no outstanding recalls on the unit.
Does not have to be direct from the manufacture.
I've got local CAT dealers to do it for a couple of sleds for me. Easy peezy! You just made it more complicated by involving the manufacture.
Good Luck!

Top Bottom