Polaris 600 Chirp

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So my buddy got an 08 polaris 600 switchback. It rides very well and does the deeper snow like a trooper. I have a 07 and mine doesn't quite ride the same, but I will figure that out later. What the the problem is, at idle the belt chirps, almost like it is not quite disengaged. My Can Am Outlander does that if the clutch is dirty and the reverse bearing is not releasing properly. Seeing as how the Polaris reverses direction of the engine during reverse, I wouldn't think that there is a reverse bearing in the primary. I deglazed the primary with some steel wool while it running as it has a bit of a buildup on the plates, but it still chirps. Also when you try ti restart the sled it is still engaged sorta. Any ideas?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so do I need to space out the secondary? or the primary. It is a factory belt and there is no adjustment of the spacing between the primary and secondary.

wildman

Reaction score
Adjust your secondary. there is a nut on the side of secondary. loosen the nut and turn in the stud that it is on a bit with an allen wrench and retighten nut. this will spread your secondary which will loosen the belt a bit.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I know my Can Am clutches well, not so familiar with the Polaris, guess I will be now.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like my belt to do that. I like the belt to be on the tight side I find the clutching works better.

Mad Mike

Reaction score
As it turns out, the dealership that I bought it from, failed to notice that the set-screw and nut were missing from the clutch assembly. Good thing for me I have some good friends. Less than 10 bucks in parts and we are back to business. Now only if the weekend weather will start to co-operate, LOL

Mad Mike

Reaction score
Exactly, but the nut and the allen Key adjustment bolt were completely missing.

Mad Mike

Reaction score
Yes but first we had to go and pick up the Allen Key bolt and nut, they were missing!!!!!! Good thing the parts were under 10bucks.

Top Bottom