Peace Country dual sporting

Skidplatedave

Reaction score
Relocating to the Peace Country soon (almost for sure). Riding a beat up old KLR 650 with knobbies, and looking for rides and riders in the area.

I've had a few rides out here on Van Isl with some guys riding plated MXs (KTMs and such), and I've been shown what my bike is capable of doing. But the bike is more capable than its rider, and I'm tired of picking it up. And they're tired of waiting for me, and helping me push the bike over or through obstacles.

I think I'll get a 250 dual sport, but I'll maybe wait to see what other people are riding when I get to the new area. I don't really want to be trailering. I wouldn't mind a bigger dual sport for road and gravel too, and maybe I could coax the wife onto the back of it sometimes. Like maybe a strom or tenere.

anyhow, come spring I'll be out riding. I'm thinking Sunday morning coffee and a rip in the bush or down a trail, or on some back roads, whatever. And I'd sure like to do something like the Loose Screw in Kamloops sometime.

Dave

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.

Peace River and area have nothing but riding trails, hills climbs, etc. You'd be fine on a duel sport bike as 80% of the roads around there are gravel. Great place to ride, nothing but trails everywhere there.

Ive rode all over the Isl as well, its different riding for sure. Less rock/shale, more dirt, sandy conditions in AB

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of good riding in the area skidplatedave...hit me up in the spring and I'll show you around. I have a plated 450X, most of the dual sport guys I ride with are riding XR 400, YZF's, 250 and 450 seem to be the bikes of choice. how old are you? you been riding long?

Skidplatedave

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Teeroy: 52, started riding at 38, ancient Honda 80, then 200R (or whatever the 4 stroke trail version is), then XT350, then 03 KLR. Work got in the way for a few years though, and I really haven't ridden much. Thought I'd do adventure trips with the KLR, but never had the time (it's vastly better than the XT350 on the road, but both were pigs after the light but under-powered 200). I just started riding with these guys out here, and my eyes have been opened to the value of a light bike for fun riding. A 65 year old on a KTM 250 rides circles around me off road, blows me away on logging roads and gravel, and probably doesn't leave me behind on pavement just because he doesn't want a speeding ticket. He's an old trials rider, and more competent than I'll ever be, but still, I think I'd have more fun on a smaller bike, unless one day I really do go ride to Inuvik or South America. It's not likely, I have to admit.
I'll look for you in the spring, when I know for sure exactly where I'll be. Appreciate your post.
dave

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah, you'll fit in fine then Dave. we're all in our mid to late 40's, but can still ride hard for brief periods...lol. the KLR will be somewhat of a hindrance in the tight stuff, but my brother rocked his for years around here. he has since purchased and XR 400, he sweats a lot less now. we have been riding in this area all our lives, there is everything from handlebar wide game trails to wide open river flats....sand, mud, rocks, and plenty of hills. different than what you're probably used to, but fun in the same.

Top Bottom