Pain in the ass thing cooker can install on T3.

Andrew.L

Reaction score
image.jpeg

Mooseantler

Reaction score
Just got done installing the thing cooker can on my T3, what a pain in the ass..

Instructions are not detailed at all. The L bracket doesn't fit in the suggested location and had to be bent into a 45. They supply a rivet, who has a rivet gun at home? Simple lock nut and bolt would do the job.

Also the left side spring location is way off. Had to use two springs attached to the foot well.

Is it just me or did anyone else have this much trouble?

View attachment 190411
I had the same problem last year with the installation, I improvised too

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesssss I am not alone !! I think it's the welds on the pipe that are different judging from pics I've seen.

Can't wait to get out there and use this thing. I want to go into a medical induced coma till the snow hits hard.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The question is who dosnt have a rivet gun..if for some odd reason you dont they are 10 dollars at can tire..

If you are really having that much trouble installing a can on you're sled I really dont think you should be working

on a snowmobile.

Very entertaining though lol thanks!

Ha! Ha! That sled better not blow a belt, it will be followed up by a rant!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yesssss I am not alone !! I think it's the welds on the pipe that are different judging from pics I've seen.

Can't wait to get out there and use this thing. I want to go into a medical induced coma till the snow hits hard.
Ok just so ya know, it's not like cooking with a regular cooker

U don't put stuff in on the way up too cook or its done before the cabin

U put it in half hour or less before ur ready on a deep day, hour ish on a regular day

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The question is who dosnt have a rivet gun..if for some odd reason you dont they are 10 dollars at can tire..

If you are really having that much trouble installing a can on you're sled I really dont think you should be working

on a snowmobile.

Oh give me a break bud. I've turned more wrenches than I can count. Home built a 10 second daily car and Harley. Imagine every after market piece you buy doesn't fit properly, that would be a fun time. Point is, you shell out 500 bucks for a mild steel can with a few welds and not one connection point fits where it's supposed to. Point is you sit down to install a can that should take 10 mins and I gotta go buy a rivet gun now and got this can jerry rigged with two springs connected to my foot well because someone didn't follow their gig or thought throwing the can in a T3 would be the same as the rest of the summit line up. Not the end of the world, just annoying.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

on a snowmobile.

Oh FFS!!! Give the guy a break! He was frustrated and venting. Last I checked, that's a pretty common occurrence on this forum. I'd have been pissed too, if I spent all that money and things didn't fit. The LEAST they could do is let you know you'd need a rivet gun. I ran into the same thing 2 weeks ago putting skid plates on my Outlander XMR. Freakin HORRIBLE instructions, and ZERO mention of the required rivet gun. I've been an auto mechanic for 22 years, and now, as of 2 weeks ago, I have a rivet gun at home.

Quit busting his balls over a little vent of frustration.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^ Thank you. Time to buy a rivet gun! Doubt I'll ever use it again. I try keep the sled stock.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh FFS!!! Give the guy a break! He was frustrated and venting. Last I checked, that's a pretty common occurrence on this forum. I'd have been pissed too, if I spent all that money and things didn't fit. The LEAST they could do is let you know you'd need a rivet gun. I ran into the same thing 2 weeks ago putting skid plates on my Outlander XMR. Freakin HORRIBLE instructions, and ZERO mention of the required rivet gun. I've been an auto mechanic for 22 years, and now, as of 2 weeks ago, I have a rivet gun at home.

Quit busting his balls over a little vent of frustration.
What kind of auto mechanic doesn't have a rivet gun??? Joking lol

So many things riveted lol

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong here, but I believe most of the posts are people just kidding around. We need snow!!

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
What kind of auto mechanic doesn't have a rivet gun??? Joking lol

So many things riveted lol

I have them at the shop, but not at home. Had the instructions been clear about needing one, I would have brought one home. However, they weren't, so the job waited 1 evening, and I now have one at home too. :)

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must have went through a 100 rivets last week working on my sled. I have the same sled(as Merc)! I must be doing something wrong:confused:

Haha

DoubleW

Reaction score
I've been looking at the SledShed can for a year now, maybe it's time for me to take the plunge and pick one up.....mmmmmm hot meals on a cold mountain! Thanks to everyone whom posted in this thread, it was humorous and helpful to say the least; thanks to Keith B. for the good information on rivets. Now we just need the snow gods to dump all over us!! Have a great day everyone.

P.S. Keith, we should meet up for a coffee and a visit so I can pick up those cables, I'll shoot you a text.

Cheers,

WadeW

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instructions or a note when buying should say rivet gun necessary. Like when you buy pretty much anything else after market, there is a tool list or hey you need a rivet gun, etc etc.

Obviously I talked to them. I had no clue if I had the wrong pipe or if it needed some custom work to make it fit. They were helpful. I was more wondering if anyone else had a fitment issue. Seems like putting this in a T3 was an after thought. You pay nearly $500 for a can you'd think they would throw in a nut and bolt for the guys that don't have rivet guns laying around. Common sense to me.

You're not really a sledder if you don't have a rivet gun.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
You're not really a sledder if you don't have a rivet gun.

Maybe even more than one............Contrary to the thought that one needs a rivet gun only if you are going to do mods and by keeping the sled stock a rivet gun is not required. My sleds basically are stock; a skid plate, a cooker/muffpot/TheThing, attaching license plates and or my tree cutting saws or an axe holder. The one in the middle is a little Crappy Tire one that I started out with. It was just great until repairs came into the picture. The Princess Auto air rivet gun is the best thing since sliced bread! Then there was some major front end damage on one of my son's sleds and hence the big MoFo for pulling those huge suckers. Also, the big bad boy worked great on the SS rivets that JCCustomVents would send with the vent kits. Not a lot of use for the big bad one and most people don't replace those rivets they just use nuts and bolts instead.

Isn't a rivet gun as necessary as zip ties to place stitches in various plastic parts?

IMG_3825.jpg

Top Bottom