Outty Frame mod

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have heard that you can insert three lenths of one inch square tubing into the frame of the outlanders to strengthen them. Is that normally what people do and how does a guy go about it? Do I cut the frame at the back?? Thanks

jroth95

Reaction score
i am not 100% sure but aren't the outtys the same as the gades with the single beam going down the center?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
saved some pics of the mod, looks fairly straight forward.

outymod1.jpg

outymod6.jpg

outymod7.jpg

superduty 348

Reaction score
Grind the welds off on the back of the frame and use 3 pcs 52.25"L by 1.25" sq thin wall tube. Weld together and install ( for the standard can am frame)

drop the hammer

Reaction score
Save yourself the grief of trying to get the proper fit and just buy GoHards UHMW frame stiffener. It just slides right in once you open the rear welds up, it also comes with hardware needed to close up the frame once it's in. I think it ran me about 100 beans or so for my Outlander Max. Website:

superduty 348

Reaction score
$20 bucks a couple of beers and your time vs $100 and your time. Plus the last
umhw stiffener fit a little loosely where as the other fit perfect but it just could be the one we got.Just do it and ride it.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save yourself the grief of trying to get the proper fit and just buy GoHards UHMW frame stiffener. It just slides right in once you open the rear welds up, it also comes with hardware needed to close up the frame once it's in. I think it ran me about 100 beans or so for my Outlander Max. Website:

I'm a fan of Go Hard and most of his stuff....but there's NO WAY a chunk of plastic down the center of the frame stiffens as well as 3 chunks of steel tubing. My opinion.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Right on..thanks guys! I'll be fitting some steel in my frame real soon like.:beer::d

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The steel is way heavier than the chassis spine and will also be a big pile of rusty metal after time. To me, the aluminium reinforcement was a no brainer. More HP/weight=faster.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The steel is way heavier than the chassis spine and will also be a big pile of rusty metal after time. To me, the aluminium reinforcement was a no brainer. More HP/weight=faster.
ever seen what aluminum does when fastened to a dissimilar material? sorta like rust....

Dissimilar metal corrosion is another way to define what is normally defined as Galvanic Corrosion or Bimetallic Corrosion.
Galvanic corrosion or Dissimilar metal Corrosion is a localised mechanism by which metals can be preferentially corroded.
This form of corrosion has the potential to attack junctions of metals, or regions where one construction metal is changed to another.

Frequently this condition arises because different metals are more easily fabricated into certain forms; an example might be a door frame manufactured from aluminium extrusions (aluminium extrudes extremely well into architectural sections), but with a door handle fabricated from stainless steel tube to exploit its higher strength and abrasion resistance.

Dissimilar metal corrosion is well known to most designers, specifiers and fabricators, but often the only rule in force is "don't mix metals".

superduty 348

Reaction score
I agree with the disimilar metal corrosion post also the spine doesn't reinforce the bottom of the frame the same way the steel tubes do. It supports the centre and the sides and still will dent if riding in rocky terrain.Also most guys will have another quad before the steel tubes will be rusted out.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the disimilar metal corrosion post also the spine doesn't reinforce the bottom of the frame the same way the steel tubes do. It supports the centre and the sides and still will dent if riding in rocky terrain.Also most guys will have another quad before the steel tubes will be rusted out.
ah, my bad. thought he meant loading the frame like the steel tubing mod.

Top Bottom