Outdoor Wood Burning Furnace

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at getting one of these for the house. Just wondering if anyone has one and how they like it, and if any model is better than the others. Gonna run it for my infloor heating in the house and later on for the shop when i build one. Been looking at Friesen Heaters, Heatmore and Wooddoctor. :beer:

justalv

Reaction score
I have a outdoor wood burner and I like it alot,I've been using it for about ten years now.In the winter I can easily get a twelve hour burn even at -20 to -30.Mine goes through a heat exchanger placed where AC unit would go in my forced air electric.I never use the electric until late spring when the weather is off and on cold.I bought it in Barriere....I was built in Saskatchewan but I don't know the name of it.One thing to take in mind is how close you are to your neighbers....they might not like the smoke when you fire it up.

Stumpy

Reaction score
Re outdoor furance wood or coal ,just make sure the manufacturer is csa or ulc approved ,this is very important,as well as installation distances from home and routing of pipe underground. I'm an insurance broker and i personally have had people buy furnaces that were not certified and they couldn't get insurance on their home. There are many certified coal and wood furances choose the best option , i personally like coal burners less cleaning longer slower burn , we had one at the farm ,dont know the make as farm sold .Hope this helps !!!!

winterulez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem with the smoke and neighbours, building out on the farm it's all good.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been heating with wood for the past 8 years. I have a Pacific Western. I think they've gone out of business. Like most companies these days they offer a 25 year or lifetime warranty (sounds good on paper right?) then go out of business after they have sucked a bunch of money out of mega peoples pockets. Lets face it I have thousands invested in this thing and if it start to leak now I'm SOL.

My house is 2840 sq.ft and the garage is 1200 sq.ft. I only keep the garage at just above freezing in the winter. I go through about 13 cords/winter. That is a lot of work to cut, split and stack it in the wood shed. For the past 2-3 years it is getting really tough to find wood. I used to go to the logged out areas after they've hauled out the mill wood and there would be mega dead wood laying around. Now they pile all the wood into burn piles even before the mill wood is hauled out. I swear they do it so that folks will have a hard time getting fire wood.

So as you can probably tell by my demeanor my next house will have just a little wood stove in it.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do a lot of research and get the highest effiency you can find. I have a global hydronics and have 2 leaks in it they have fixed it but once lost $2200 of glycol. I go thru 15-20 cords a year not a old persons stove. I was heating a garage 1200sq ft and 1500 sq ft house our hot water and a hot tub. Us the best fittings you can find and grundfos pumps. I have slowly phased the stove out and went hi efficency. Good luck

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The cords of wood used above is scary!!!

I have a 2050 sq.ft. house, completed basement, and attached 2 car garage. The garage doesn't freeze. In essence, I am heating 4100 sq.ft, and preheating my hot water with water jackets. When we built, we had no gas so we have electric heat back-up.

My main unit is a Lee-Valley forced air wood furnace c/w a forced air electric furnace. We only use electricity when we are away for more than a day. The furnace burns from approx. Nov 1st until early March. The furnace uses 6-8" diameter logs (unsplit) and burns for 10-12 hours. Depending on the winter, somewhere between 3-4 cords for the furnace. A free standing Blaze King Classic is used for the days it is not cold enough for the furnace. This unit burns 3-4 cords/year and can burn for 12 hours. We cut and stack in a covered wood shed up to 8 cords/year. We cut standing dry and split it as we need it for the Blaze King. As we don't split the furnace wood, we look for the smaller trees (8-10" base) that will fit whole into the furnace.

A little research and you will get things put together. I have been burning wood as a major source of heat since 1977 and have had various units. This is the best of the lot. Good luck!

Top Bottom