old school vs new school

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i sold the quad and am looking at a bike a XR400 pretty good shape I know the think is a tank but would a crf230 be better for trial riding I dont like the crf250 or 450x because I do a lot of slow trail riding with my son leading the way on his 110 quad so the crfx would be bogging right? the 400 can be rode around in frist and second all day and never have a problem or due I have the x wrong? what due you guys thing I knoe theres a lot more mantnice on the new bikes compared to the old thumpers,what should I look at Honda is the bike of choice.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont no to much about the xr 400 but my uncle rides a 250x. my aunty just got into quading and she isnt the fastest rider to say the least. my uncle has no problems riding slowly in the lower gears following her. He also has to do hardly any matenence to it.:beer:

LimaMikeMike

Reaction score
the XR400 is a greatbike for trail riding, reliable, enough power to keep you interested and get you out of trouble and parts are easy and cheap to find. However finding a good XR for not a lot of money can be a challenge.

If you want something more modern a crf250x is good choice as well, derestrict it and fiddle with the jetting (try JD jetting) and you'll have zero bogging problems, it has about the same amount of power (maybe a bit more than the XR400). It also has modern suspension and ergos as well.

and ELECTRIC START KICKS ASS.

Try suzi DRZ400 and yam wr250 as well.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with the XR, the crf would be better if you were a more agressive rider who wanted more performance ( suspension and power ) but the xr is very forgiving with its low end torque. The electric start is really nice on the crf .

hamwallet

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a 4 stroke 250 for a first time rider. I ride a yz250fx and it's my first bike. For trail riding you're going to want to get a headlight and taillight for alberta law. In which case the WR is a good choice. I get by without them though. As long as you keep up with the maintenance that is says in your user manual, a yammy will last you a lifetime. Basic maintenance is oil change every 500km and airfilter cleaning after EVERY ride. Simple bikes to use.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well I am far from a new rider I have been riding bikes,quads and sleds for the better part of 25 years:) I know thr XR are reaiable and well e-start is nice not needed had a 450x and only ran great wide open on old FSR roads and with a 5 year old son riding his little quad makes thing hard to ride wide open. I found a 2001 XR400 for 2500 one owner bike has orgainal bill of sale and dealer service records to prove proer mantaice selling because he fells he is to old for it he is 45ish.

Waxy

Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about the XR400's other than they have a reptutation for being bullet proof, and it sounds like you found a sweet deal.

My only concern would be that they're air/oil cooled, so lots of really slow 1st and 2nd gear riding might give you some overheating problems. They're pretty "old school" like you said in terms of technology and suspension too.

Personally, I think I'd lean towards a newer 250 4 stroke, or even better, a DRZ400E. The DRZ is on the heavy side, but in my experience, they are absolutely bullet proof and can be ridden around all day at 5-10 km/h with no complaints and no overheating issues. They're super low maintenance as well, definitely easier and cheaper to maintain than the average 250 4 stroke. On top of that, they're really quiet and comfortable. They can be ridden pretty aggressively too if you get the chance to get out without your son and open it up a bit.

Waxy

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xr 400's are pretty quick with loads of bottom end the newer 250's I will not touch to much mantaince and no quicker then a 400. as far as comfirt I took my cousins 400 out for a all day ride last summer we put on about 120kms and wasnt the least bit stiff. still not sure if I want to get rid of my quad as I do have to double sometimes so its safer on the quad.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xr 400's are pretty quick with loads of bottom end the newer 250's I will not touch to much mantaince and no quicker then a 400. as far as comfirt I took my cousins 400 out for a all day ride last summer we put on about 120kms and wasnt the least bit stiff. still not sure if I want to get rid of my quad as I do have to double sometimes so its safer on the quad.

Do it!

I was riding my bro's DRZ400 a couple weeks ago and it was a ton of fun. Very similar power I would think.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the quad got sold yeaterday so the hunt is on I will ethier buy a xr400 or EX400 same engine or maybe a raptor 660 or pred500 thats kinda what I am looking for and no more then3200.00 should be able to find something,also seen a DS650x sweet for the right price might be in shed on monday:d

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well the quad got sold yeaterday so the hunt is on I will ethier buy a xr400 or EX400 same engine or maybe a raptor 660 or pred500 thats kinda what I am looking for and no more then3200.00 should be able to find something,also seen a DS650x sweet for the right price might be in shed on monday:d

I thought I was going to buy a quad this spring, but I ended up getting a KTM EXC, complete with plate for the street!

It's tough enough to find time to go ride, but being able to go straight from home ( or the campsite, or the inlaws....) makes it a lot easier.

I believe it's pretty easy to street an XR.:d

Top Bottom