oil pump

[Freerider]-

Reaction score
I've always added oil to my gas but never turned the pump up. After reading this i'm definitely going to turn the pump 3 turns instead.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never turned up my oil pump or added oil to my tank, but I have found an issue with the oil tank cap. I found that the cap only vents went the cap is level, so this will cause a shortage of oil most of the time. I'm going to modify my cap so it vents all the time. If you want to try blowing through the top of your cap, you will only be able to do it when you hold it level. Paasoracing also sells a fix for this.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not turned up either my 2011 or 2013, I dump a little in the gas tank when I fuel up and all good..

BillyYork

Reaction score
Ok, so im in the middle of doing this, when I was backing off the lock nut, im pretty sure the set screw was turning with it. Long story short, I screwed up big time and have no idea where I'm at lol. How many threads should be showing after this is all said and done? I have a 13 pro.

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so im in the middle of doing this, when I was backing off the lock nut, im pretty sure the set screw was turning with it. Long story short, I screwed up big time and have no idea where I'm at lol. How many threads should be showing after this is all said and done? I have a 13 pro.

Don't take this as stone but before I started there was about 6 mm of bolt showing then when I turned 3 turns I had about 2 mm of bolt showing. I guess it would be possibly different for each set up as some guys were saying the bolt was flush with the nut when they did 3 1/2 turns. I know this isn't precise but gives you an idea of mine. GL

BillyYork

Reaction score
Thanks buddy. Can anyone else confirm this? I might just set it just pass flush and keep see how what the consumption is.

EthanWbr

Reaction score
this is gonna be a dumb question but how do you tell if it has been done? my dealer said they did it on pdi but just for reinsurance is there a measurement to tell if the screw been turned in?

Rideordie

Reaction score
If its not fouling plugs and not burning a ridiculous amount of oil then u should be good as long as it actually got turned. I kind of did the same thing. Its tight in there.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Billy when I do mine this weekend (hopefully sooner) I'll try and measure/count the threads before I turn it up

Here;s another noob question. When/if I foul a plug can i pull it out and take a torch to it and burn off the oil and put it back in? And if only one pplug if fouled will the cylinder eventually fire and clean itself up?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The screw adjuster has a short section right at the top with no threads. This and maybe one thread should be visible above the jam nut after adjusting. These enjines are 'jetted' very clean and I doubt you could add enough oil via the injection to foul plugs.

EthanWbr

Reaction score
thanks for the info, looks like my dealer didn't turn it in so do that now

BillyYork

Reaction score
Ok. So I read the section in the manual about the pump adjustment. If you look at the plate the actuator rod is connected to at the bottom end where the pump actually is there is notch in it. This should line up with a line on a boss off the pump. When the line is lined up with the notch, this is the factory setting. I have about 2 threads showing now and the notch is just passed this line, indicating it will be a bit ritch from factory setting. Hope this helps anyone else with this. I will monitor the consumption just to be safe as well on the first ride.

BillyYork

Reaction score
Billy when I do mine this weekend (hopefully sooner) I'll try and measure/count the threads before I turn it up

Here;s another noob question. When/if I foul a plug can i pull it out and take a torch to it and burn off the oil and put it back in? And if only one pplug if fouled will the cylinder eventually fire and clean itself up?

I would just bring spare plugs. They are pretty cheap. I always bring a set or two just in case anyway.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay so i finally got to do this and tweaked the aluminum tab. What is the purpose of this tab? I checked and my throttle goes wot to nothing without any binding etc.

Once I got the pump adjusted i checked the tab again and it looks a lot straighter I'll attach some picutures....I apologize I dont think theyll be in order

Attachments

• 20150104_180051.jpg
    20150104_180051.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 20150104_180145.jpg
    20150104_180145.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 20150104_183944 (1).jpg
    20150104_183944 (1).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 299
  • 20150104_184011.jpg
    20150104_184011.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 310

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After turning up the pump 3 turns and riding this weekend I'm close to 35:1 with no fouling or bogging issues.

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a new to me '13 pro and turned up the oil 3 turns. Just took the hood off and used some extensions. 10 minutes and done. How ever, when tightening set screw I over torqued it a bit and bent the bracket down a good little bit. DEFINETLY be sure to brace it as I spent 20 minutes straighting it carefully. I would have used some long needle nose pliers or a big flat head to counter the torque of the ratchet.

What is a side-effect of bending the brakcet? I just turned up my oiler on my 2013 Pro and went to fire it up for the first time since July (when I bought it). The sled smoked like an ill diesel truck and didn't stop. I let it warm up to temperature and then rev'd up the engine slightly and still kept smoking so bad. Upon further review of the tab that the screw-bolt are attached to, it appears to be bent down to the right, which would make sense since that's the way the bolt gets torqued back on.
I did 2.5 turns, and there are still a few threads on the screw showing. The guy I bought it from said he never touched the oiler, and I doubt Cycle Works would have toched it when the sled was brand new...

I will try to take a picture of how it looks now. I know that it is common for the Pro's to blurp oil after summer storage however after taking off the can and pipe again everything was dripping with oil on the inside.

Your thoughts?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will smoke like no tomorrow the first time you fire them up after summer. Even after getting it to temp it still will until you get some RPM's through it. Get it on a track stand or wait until the season starts and get it moving and it will clean up.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Smokey junk lmao

J.k ing

Etechs don't smoke after sitting, just saying

sent while drinking tea's

Top Bottom