Official REVY Riding Conditions 2013/14

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Time to head to head back to Revy.
Currently -32 with a winchill of -42 in Alberta.
Holy crap is it cold. No sledding around the Lakeland in this.

Kinda makes Revelstokes unusual -17 look pretty balmy!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Time to head to head back to Revy.
Currently -32 with a winchill of -42 in Alberta.
Holy crap is it cold. No sledding around the Lakeland in this.

Kinda makes Revelstokes unusual -17 look pretty balmy!

Suck it up boys and girls lol. As long as the sled starts, it's not too cold to ride!

Written while sitting behind desk with ceramic heater running under it 😁

Thegeneral

skidooscotty

Reaction score
I sure hope it warms up for Thursday and snows or I might have to rethink the first ride of the season. Or not and just suck it up.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We canceled for this weekend... about ten years ago we spent a night on the hill at -18 at Corbin

we had a bad unexpected snow storm that came in around 1pm while we were having a great day in fresh powder and dropped visibility to less than 5 feet, along with temp and crazy blizzard winds, cut lines had trees that had Fallen and laid over from all the new snow, we tried and tried and I was positive we were in the right spot to find the narrow trail out at limestone( there was times that we could not see our hands in front of our helmets for minutes)

At 9pm I decided we had to turn around and drive back the way we came in threw all lakes and play area, fuel was getting low and everyone was cold, and tired with low fuel.. Emotions and stress levels were high...And less experience riders were getting stuck tiring out the better riders . GPS showed we were less than 200 meters from main trail, but we were at a cliffs edge with no visibility and still snowing very hard

on our way back, we had a good rider that was tired, but fell off his sled on a ugly side hill and fell into a ugly trench... Over a hr latter we finally had out, but were sweaty and cold, at midnight it was a hard decision to make but decided to make a fire and camp out till morning...

We had a shelter spot in the trees that had dry wood and out of the wind, that became a start of a long night that we made from a group decision...

All night all we did was go for firewood and the energy we spent, was not worth the little heat we got from it...

In the early morning myself and another went on our own, after draining fuel from remainder of sleds and conditions were very bad still, but we made it back to trucks and refilled fuel and went to rescue others, after letting locals know what we are doing

Everyone got back safely and alive but very cold, and everyone had some frostbite

So long story short, good gear, bad gear no one likes to spend a night at that temp, and it was a good lesson to us all, that Mother Nature is still number one and has to be respected and common sense goes along way

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to go out today, but at -20 I just dont think its fun anymore. And thats the whole point isnt it? Some amazing snow to be had for those who want to tough it out though.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We canceled for this weekend... about ten years ago we spent a night on the hill at -18 at Corbin

we had a bad unexpected snow storm that came in around 1pm while we were having a great day in fresh powder and dropped visibility to less than 5 feet, along with temp and crazy blizzard winds, cut lines had trees that had Fallen and laid over from all the new snow, we tried and tried and I was positive we were in the right spot to find the narrow trail out at limestone( there was times that we could not see our hands in front of our helmets for minutes)

At 9pm I decided we had to turn around and drive back the way we came in threw all lakes and play area, fuel was getting low and everyone was cold, and tired with low fuel.. Emotions and stress levels were high...And less experience riders were getting stuck tiring out the better riders . GPS showed we were less than 200 meters from main trail, but we were at a cliffs edge with no visibility and still snowing very hard

on our way back, we had a good rider that was tired, but fell off his sled on a ugly side hill and fell into a ugly trench... Over a hr latter we finally had out, but were sweaty and cold, at midnight it was a hard decision to make but decided to make a fire and camp out till morning...

We had a shelter spot in the trees that had dry wood and out of the wind, that became a start of a long night that we made from a group decision...

All night all we did was go for firewood and the energy we spent, was not worth the little heat we got from it...

In the early morning myself and another went on our own, after draining fuel from remainder of sleds and conditions were very bad still, but we made it back to trucks and refilled fuel and went to rescue others, after letting locals know what we are doing

Everyone got back safely and alive but very cold, and everyone had some frostbite

So long story short, good gear, bad gear no one likes to spend a night at that temp, and it was a good lesson to us all, that Mother Nature is still number one and has to be respected and common sense goes along way

Great story Fred, thanks for sharing. I've spent a few nights on the mountain myself and it is a lot of work to keep the fire stoked, as the night goes on it only gets tougher. I hope everyone has a safe warm weekend. For those that want to test the limits of Mother Nature please remember anything can happen at anytime. Be prepared for the worst. I won't be riding this weekend due to the temps but it's go time next weekend when it warms back up!

Reaction score
You just have to be careful,, Yeah I saw at least 10sleds fawked right up this week at Boulder,, Towed one off the hill yesterday... Yet some how I managed to put on 500k this week with out even a scratch,,, Am I lucky?? No just experienced... Edit: Did you have the white turbo 1200 xp?? and buddy on turbo nitro by chance??
Who says that?? I guess your picture proves how great of a sledder you are though hey? Oh right...

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who says that?? I guess your picture proves how great of a sledder you are though hey? Oh right...

Yeah I suck,, bent a A-arm today,,, carmas a bitch I spose.... (not like Im a super hero,, just a lot of the crashes I witnessed were pretty stupid,, I met those guys tho and they new what they were doing,, hense the edit,,, and then carma got me,,will take me most of a day to fix my sled...)

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled is still ridable tho,,, So if its not 20- Ill go throw it up on one ski tomorrow and snap a pic cause that takes talent!!! lol

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check to see if this happened.
My lower aa arm was bent a tad too,

photo 2-4.JPG photo 3-1.JPG photo 1-4.JPG
Yeah I suck,, bent a A-arm today,,, carmas a bitch I spose.... (not like Im a super hero,, just a lot of the crashes I witnessed were pretty stupid,, I met those guys tho and they new what they were doing,, hense the edit,,, and then carma got me,,will take me most of a day to fix my sled...)

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

short clip from earlier this week, snow was good after the dump but still lots of landmines, ive never seen so much carnage, lots of damage and a couple of wrote off sleds, be careful out there!

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well talked with a few guys that broke sleds in at west castle.... No mines and crazy deep snow, but to cold this last weekend... Might go that direction for next weekend... Revy with low snow, does not happen to often

SkinnerM8

Reaction score
Thanks for the vid cant wait heading out there wed to ride for couple days 12-13-14 possibly the 15th depending on snow conditions wondering if there is anyone heading out there to show a guy around. Have never rode revy looking for someone to show 2 guys around for a day or two we have rode in the mountains quite a bit but never here.

gregols

Reaction score
Just got in to revy... Here for 3 days... Hoping for the best... Suppose to warm up finally and it's snowing as I speak... So we are hoping for some fresh stuff up top... I will post some pics when we get back... Snow dance time!!

rough-country

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.rough-country.ca
Thought I would change it up and ride Griffin this weekend to see how conditions are there. Trail is starting to get a little rough but still not bad. Once we made our way into the trees and up into the Alpine we were rewarded with a foot and a half of nice carvable powder. We only crossed a few tracks on our end here, so we had a lot of untouched snow and lots of sunshine to go with it. With snow in the forecast, it will only open up the many other routes that can be taken to access this mountain. I only took out the camera once today as it was hard to shut the bike off due to the fantastic conditions.

Attachments

• 2013-12-08 12.12.46.jpg
    2013-12-08 12.12.46.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 745
  • 2013-12-08 12.12.47-1.jpg
    2013-12-08 12.12.47-1.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 739
  • 2013-12-08 12.12.47-2.jpg
    2013-12-08 12.12.47-2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 741
Top Bottom