Octane questions

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this has been beaten to death but I am running a boondocker race gas turbo on an M1000 with linderman head. I have talked to brent about this briefly but have more questions. He says I can run av gas at elevation @ 10psi but need 111 race gas from there to 13psi. Now here come the rediculous questions! If Imix AFD 118 with premium I will be around 105 octane. AFD 111 is 107 octane so where does this leave me for boost!? Also What is the differeance from VP c16 and AFD 118? Both octanes are 118 but The VP fuel says its for turbo and super charged aplications where AFD says for 16:1 compression. If any one can try and clear my tiny brain about this that would be awesome!!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also What is the differeance from VP c16 and AFD 118? Both octanes are 118 but The VP fuel says its for turbo and super charged aplications where AFD says for 16:1 compression. If any one can try and clear my tiny brain about this that would be awesome!!

Av gas is 100octane if i am not mistaken. For the above, quit reading the stupid little discriptors... pour gas and go, octane is octane. AFD i am not sure about, but some of the higher VP fuels do have lead additives in them.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said....just make sure you use the "motor octane" rating. There's actually 3 different ways to rate octane. And don't cheap out on fuel....TM1000's don't like it when you do that! My son couldn't keep his together running any less than C16 and double base gaskets @ 12-16#s with a stock head. Run good fuel and they're awesome though!

Anybody tried Boondockers electronic timing retard thingy on these? Might be the way to go.

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess keep it simple stupid might be the thing I should do! Buy gas and go! Thanks for the advice.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Imix AFD 118 with premium I will be around 105 octane. AFD 111 is 107 octane so where does this leave me for boost!

Listen to the guys above for answers. Octane is octane. Where 107 octane leaves you for boost, hard to say. When Brent said you can run 100 LL av gas at elevation, where is that? 3000 ft or 6000 ft? Big difference in those values. If your starting point is 5000 ft, you can probably run 100 LL from the parking lot if "elevation" for the head is 4000 ft, but if "elevation" is 6000 ft and your parking lot is 2500 ft, then you will need a) more octane to get you up to 6000 ft, or b) less boost up to 6000 ft.

For the $400, the Electronic Boost Controller (EBC) from Boondocker is worth it IMO, then you just dial it in and leave it alone, it automatically compensates for altitude and you can add boost at the push of a button if you want to control it manually. this would allow you to run 100 LL av all the time so long as the boost could go low enough for the head at the lowest elevation you ride. Mixing boost levels and elevations is hard enough, forget adding in the complexity of different types of fuels you are going to blend for any given day for different elevations of riding.

Top Bottom