Octane question

m8magic

Reaction score
When mixed in a 100:1 ratio of fuel to additive the Lucas Octane Boosted averaged a RON reading of 101.4 and a MON rating of 91.8. Giving Lucas in a concentration of 100:1 an AKI of 96.6 when mixed with 93 pump fuel. With a ratio of 100:1 this make Lucas the most concentrated additive.

When used an a concentration of 50:1 103.1 RON was achieved with a MON of 93.5 giving it a AKI of 98.4.

To date Lucas octane booster is the only booster tested that had significant results with only one bottle in the tank. One bottle is enough to make 10 gallons of 96.6 octane out of 93....visit link...remember 10 points equals one octane...so stp saying 15 points is only 1.5 octane...Lucas and N.O.S brand boosters give real gains..

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

YellowMissile

Reaction score
No - running more octane than necessary on stock motor will only hurt performance, not give you more power. you'll just be wasting money on race fuel. Stick with what the manufacturer specs for it (regular or premium).

I agree while simply raising the octane of your fuel will do nothing to help performance, however some kinds of race fuel that have been heavily oxygenated will require you to jet up a size of two. By consuming more fuel at a proper tune an engine should net more power. This would be a minimal increase over pump gas and not really apply to the average sledder, more of an edge for racing. Like Modman says.. just use what the manufacturer recommends. The cost of running race fuel will not be worth the minimal gains (that must be tuned for) on a stock motor.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When mixed in a 100:1 ratio of fuel to additive the Lucas Octane Boosted averaged a RON reading of 101.4 and a MON rating of 91.8. Giving Lucas in a concentration of 100:1 an AKI of 96.6 when mixed with 93 pump fuel. With a ratio of 100:1 this make Lucas the most concentrated additive.

When used an a concentration of 50:1 103.1 RON was achieved with a MON of 93.5 giving it a AKI of 98.4.

To date Lucas octane booster is the only booster tested that had significant results with only one bottle in the tank. One bottle is enough to make 10 gallons of 96.6 octane out of 93....visit link...remember 10 points equals one octane...so stp saying 15 points is only 1.5 octane...Lucas and N.O.S brand boosters give real gains..

Octane Booster Reviews

This was for octane boosters - so yes, the Lucas is the best octane booster out there, but octane boosters are not worth it IMO. If someone insists that they are going to blend their own fuel regardless or you need more octane and can't get race fuel or only need a little bit, etc - You are better to use a race gas concentrate if you need more octane - specifically the Klotz brand.

9:1 mix ratio gives you 103-105 octane from pump gas for only $25. Way cheaper than octane boosters in Canadian Tire.

But race fuel is still the best option IMO and Klotz concentrate being a distant second - with dept store octane boosters somewhere down around 12th. Race feul is the properly forumulated product for the application and you are not blending an inconsistent "home brew".

SnowSnob

Reaction score
I've been using Klotz octane booster with high compression heads and NOS with no issues.
It makes it nice and easy to just pull up to the pump and fill up then just add the booster.
I use 2oz to a gallon so whatever the amount of gas I put in I just double the number and add that many oz of booster.
If your just looking to up your pump gas to play it safe then you'd only need an oz. per gallon which raises 2.5 numbers.

Fredrik

Reaction score
Ran kemco octane supreme booster last season 33/1 blend seems to work,need to order more for next season should i go with klotz hitrate instead,we dont have real race fuel over here so thats not an option.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most octane boost isn't worth the can it comes in. As stated, it takes 10% or MORE toluene or xylene to effect an appreciable change to gasoline. Most octane boosters you buy are a mix of xylene, toluene and ATF. The ATF is necessary as these "ene"s are very dry. I had a buddy go the 10% toluene route one year and he killed his motor. Personally, I'm too cheap for race gas too.....so I make 2 or 3 trips to the local airport every season and fill up 5 or 6 big jerry cans with LL100 (low lead 100 av gas). I mix it 3 gallons to 7 gallons 91 premium and have never had an issue. I stick around 14:1 compression for my motors and this mix works down at 2500 feet.

Beaver

Reaction score
I contacted VP Fuels tech line and asked them what would be a good fuel to run in an Apex 310 kit with 10-1 pistons @ 20 PSI Boost @3000-9000 ft elavation.They told me Motorsport 103 would be Ideal for this setup.:d

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive never thought that much about fuel. very good advice here. wat would ppl suggest in my 900 rmk? got pipe, can, cold air, reeds, stock head, BD nos 25-40hp shot.

Top Bottom