Not Liking Pro Taper Bars

Blaksled

Reaction score
I've jumped from an M8 to a '13 Pro. I would like to swap out the Pro Tapers for a straight bar. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this so I was hoping for recommendations on bar brands and any pitfalls I should be aware of.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was actually thinking the same thing myself. Came from an M8 and just cannot seem to get along with the Pro Tapers. Was thinking about going to a riser and a lower rise style of bar with a different bend.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pro bars are 3" wider then the cat bars, I didn't like them either so now we are chopping them down to a normal size. If that doesn't work then I will be looking for new bars as well LOL

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought.....put some Cat bars on it. Lots of 'em on Ebay. Almost did that to my Nytro, now I wish I had. I love my Cat bars!

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wasn't a fan either. Swapped my '12 Pro Tapers out for a set of RSI bars, same style, but slightly different pull back and I narrowed them up over an inch on each side. Made all the difference in the world. The RSI ones were the same height as stock. I'm 6' and the height was perfect for me.

Last edited:

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RSI 's all the way with about a 1 inch rise. Way better handling and manouver ability

Blaksled

Reaction score
I wasn't a fan either. Swapped my '12 Pro Tapers out for a set of RSI bars, same style, but slightly different pull back and I narrowed them up over an inch on each side. Made all the difference in the world. The RSI ones were the same height as stock. I'm 6' and the height was perfect for we.
RSI have a few bars on their website. do you know which bars you purchased??

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you guys finding to be a good width? I have a set of Tag Motometal bars on my Nytro 33" wide.
Dam thing is a pig to sidehill or even lean it over. I cut off 2 3/4" & will try it at 29" wide. But thinking I will need even more off.

I checked the wifes 07 RMK Dragon & they are at 25 1/2" but we just bought that & I havent tried it out yet.

Skyline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you remove the stock grips on a pro??
With out wrecking them

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Narrowing the stock pro-taper bars on the '13 pro by about 1.25" off of each end.

-do each side one by one
-remove handlebar hook
-remove grip using air trick. If you get the nozzle between the grip and bar it should balloon up enough to get it to slip off.
-run the sled with grips on high to soften heater element glue. <--clever, huh? :)
-remove heater veeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy gently. If I can do it with my big clumsy hands, you can too. :)
-move controls inboard as far as you can/want.
-measure and cut off end of bar after mocking up new control and grip positions
-bore out bar with a 9/16" bit if you plan on re-using the handlebar hooks. Bore depth=what you cut off the bar.
-clean off old glue using brake cleaner.
-install heater element - I used 3M spray adhesive. Kid gloves required when handling the heater elements!!
-install grip using air trick. It will make several amusing fart sounds as you get the grip worked onto the bar.
-Try to contain laughter while getting grip and handlebar hook re-installed.

-Repeat for the other side. Again, amuse yourself with handlebar grip flatulence during procedure.

Hope this helps someone out there. Pilot for this sled was VERY happy with the results. Thank you NM for suggesting that we narrow the bars - what a big difference!!

Cheers,
PB

Last edited:

clm003

Reaction score
How do you like the handling? This sounds cheaper and easier than buying the RSI bars. I'm only 5'9 so not sure what height is best for me. 5" or 7"?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Narrowing the stock pro-taper bars on the '13 pro by about 1.25" off of each end.

-do each side one by one
-remove handlebar hook
-remove grip using air trick. If you get the nozzle between the grip and bar it should balloon up enough to get it to slip off.
-run the sled with grips on high to soften heater element glue. <--clever, huh? :)
-remove heater veeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy gently. If I can do it with my big clumsy hands, you can too. :)
-move controls inboard as far as you can/want.
-measure and cut off end of bar after mocking up new control and grip positions
-bore out bar with a 9/16" bit if you plan on re-using the handlebar hooks. Bore depth=what you cut off the bar.
-clean off old glue using brake cleaner.
-install heater element - I used 3M spray adhesive. Kid gloves required when handling the heater elements!!
-install grip using air trick. It will make several amusing fart sounds as you get the grip worked onto the bar.
-Try to contain laughter while getting grip and handlebar hook re-installed.

-Repeat for the other side. Again, amuse yourself with handlebar grip flatulence during procedure.

Hope this helps someone out there. Pilot for this sled was VERY happy with the results. Thank you NM for suggesting that we narrow the bars - what a big difference!!

Cheers,
PB
I giggled like an idiot just reading this. Thanks for the info. Looking at doing this with my sled.

06redrevx

Reaction score
I did not care for the width of the pro tapers, I cut a half inch from each side and while I was at it added the thin cork between the aluminum and the grips.
The hand Warmers work muck better now. I used the cork kit that Skidoo sells for $6.50

Top Bottom