NEW to Quading

N0fx_oo

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

Picking up a 08 450 Kodiak tommorow. Any first timmer hints for winter riding, (besides buy a snowmobile). I'll be riding mostly in the Buck Lake/ Alder Flats area in the next 3 weeks and then back there for the spring and summer. Would like to know what the range on a tank of gas is on a Kodiak before I venture too far.

Thanks,

Mike B

Yamaha4Life

Reaction score
In love my 450 its so light and nible you can throw it into the banks of deep snow. What year are you gettin hopfully and 2009. One a tank of fuel i thinkthe 450s are a gas hog! I hate mine for that.. The first quarter takes a ong time to go down but after that it just sucks it.. The fuel reader thing reads wrong dont go by it you will have to hand callsulate for your self.. But if you ride in deep snow i do recomend putting diffurent tires on it i have 27in 589`m/s on it and love it gives itr lotes more cleaence wich the kodaik stock dosent have much of.. Also its getter if you run 93 ocatne in it. :d

Cameo

Reaction score
I have an 07 Kodiak 450, and I get about 95-100Km before I need to switch to reserve. that is when riding in Nordegg. Around Edmonton the range will probably be better, but I never bother chcking, as I am not that far from the truck or the garage to worry about it. I basicly can go all day on a tank of fuel, but still bring a small 1 gallon jug in the rear box. Tires are the big question I have on this machine. I still have the stock ones, and they have worked great so far for plowing snow all last year and the year before, but i think they could use some help in the deep snow and mud. Speaking of mud, after playing in the dark stuff, be sure to remove the front tires, and really clean the mud out of the brakes, the grit chews up the pads, and I'd hate to see you have to replace them before you hit the 200K mark like I did.

N0fx_oo

Reaction score
Sweet thanks guys for the quick response. Its a 2008 and i ll give the stock tires a try, but from the sound of things not for long. Any suggestions on the type of winch i could hook up to this unit for under 400.oo. The dealership wants 800 for a warn winch which is crazy.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON A WINCH. IT IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS ON THE MACHINE. Being stock with an $8000.00 quad in the bush and not being able to get out because you burnt up a cheap 150.00 winch is not a fun spot to be in. Many people have tried to go the other way and have failed and resorted back to the warn and the factory mount

Top Bottom