New Sledder, New Sled....Tips, advice and opinions

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you see the fairly recent post of the You Tube Video of the guy that blasted over the top of Goat Ridge Bowl into Danger Basin or the You Tube Video a year or two ago of the guy who was relatively new to mountain sledding riding a Turbo M8 and triggered the avy on the hill climb in Wind Tunnels. That will be you if you ride that sled like you stoled it. I am all for working your way up to that sled by starting with something with a little less horsepower or if you buy that sled ride it at quarter throttle until you become familiar with mountain riding, mountain riding areas and learn to evaluate slopes for avalanche risk.

That's just the thing. No one is going to ride that sled at 1/4 throttle.

Don't be a statistic. Get a sled you can actually learn on.

sent from a phone

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your probably lucky to have 240 HP. anyways . 2ohoty1.gif

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy christ when did everybody become a bunch of whiny babies, use your head and ride within your limits that being said I don't think I've ever had too much power on anything.

Truck has 500 RWHP
sled has 290-300 ish hp

man up and ride that thing, just make sure you point it away from me..........

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy christ when did everybody become a bunch of whiny babies, use your head and ride within your limits that being said I don't think I've ever had too much power on anything.

Truck has 500 RWHP
sled has 290-300 ish hp .....................................

man up and ride that thing, just make sure you point it away from me..........

Hehehe ...........
attachment.php
Hehe

Attachments

• 11popcorn.gif
    11popcorn.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 189

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
enis750;1284864 i have only been riding 4+ years and every single time i ride i learn something new [/QUOTE said:
25 years for me and the same statement applies

I agree with almost everyone on this, a new rider on a turbo sled is a disaster waiting to happen because your adrenaline will be pumping and you will point that thing up the first hill you see having no idea just how steep and how fast you will get to the top. If you don't have respect for the hill AND your monster sled it will bite you hard. I wish you luck and hope you can keep yourself in check. AND I don't want to hear any bs about not having to ride it WOT you will I know it, if you don't I will :)

Two Blue

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of sledding. I am in my forth year with most of my mountain riding time in McBride. The best tip that I can provide is to select a few solid mentors. People who can ride and read the mountain terrain with respect and intelligence. Watch closely and learn from them. Ask questions and pat attention to technique that proves successful and learn from mistakes. Always go prepared and only push a reasonable threshold of challenges. Be safe... I can't comment on your sled as I am only a Doo owner..... Cheers

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont get it, if you know what you want, why dont you get it? I drive a 3/4 ton diesel truck that is modded, and its my first truck and by what your saying is I should have bought a stock rear wheel drive ford ranger. Or my first bike is a GIXXER 750 supersport, should I ride a vespa, or a honda 125 instead? Just saying I believe if you have a respect for the equipment than why not go big? Just seems like a colossal waste of money buying 2 or 3 sleds to work up to a high horsepower one IMO.
OH MY GOD see ya on the 6 oclock news

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hopefully your MODDED diesel hits the ditch long before your track hits the snow

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there you go then, some super solid advice here nobody knows this guy and everybody is judging him like he is an absolute retard. Agreed that this is not the best first choice for his purpose but who cares! He'll figure that out soon enough. Maybe he should just get a bravo or a tundra to be safe.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well there you go then, some super solid advice here nobody knows this guy and everybody is judging him like he is an absolute retard. Agreed that this is not the best first choice for his purpose but who cares! He'll figure that out soon enough. Maybe he should just get a bravo or a tundra to be safe.

He bought a BOOSTED YAMAHA for his first sled, that says it all. I don't care how responsible he is that is a BAD idea. You know yourself if you have the power your going to use it. When he gets that thing stuck where no one can help him it's going to be a s*&% show for sure, you know it , I know it and everyone else on here that has rode in the mountains knows it.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome thread! Way better than the lame one I thought it was going to be when I clicked on it.

Thank-you newb

Love

Foxstar

DieselDemon

Reaction score
Wow, everybody has a heated opinion, Yes I've ridden sleds before, always borrowed buddies arctic cats. No I've never been to the mountains before, yes I was planning of furthering my avalanche awareness to what I have learned from backwoods, and heli-skiing. Yes, I was going to re-buy all my survival gear probe beacon shovel, etc. YES I WILL MAKE MISTAKES we all have. I know I'm going to be digging that sled out, but what I was kinda hoping to to get mostly from this thread was experienced riders to take me under their wing, show me the ropes, keep me in check, and to say "that hill is too big for now, go play on that little hill while we have fun". The honest opinion as to my sled choice is because it basically fell into my lap, I'm not the dumb a$$ ego freak some have made me out to be, I just wanted to go sledding with others and enjoy the sport and beauty of the mountains. Cheers

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's funny how people associate turbo yamaha with dumb a$$ ego freak. it's not the sled it's the rider. Even people riding a 586 skidoo get caught up in their ego sometimes.
Good luck and hopefully you have some good riding buddies that are helpful and honest.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, especially about terrain. Even if you start talking about terrain it'll get people in your group evaluating risk.

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, everybody has a heated opinion, Yes I've ridden sleds before, always borrowed buddies arctic cats. No I've never been to the mountains before, yes I was planning of furthering my avalanche awareness to what I have learned from backwoods, and heli-skiing. Yes, I was going to re-buy all my survival gear probe beacon shovel, etc. YES I WILL MAKE MISTAKES we all have. I know I'm going to be digging that sled out, but what I was kinda hoping to to get mostly from this thread was experienced riders to take me under their wing, show me the ropes, keep me in check, and to say "that hill is too big for now, go play on that little hill while we have fun". The honest opinion as to my sled choice is because it basically fell into my lap, I'm not the dumb a$$ ego freak some have made me out to be, I just wanted to go sledding with others and enjoy the sport and beauty of the mountains. Cheers

It's only because we care and we know how hard it is to resist using that power, the first time a stock Pol or Doo or Cat blows your mark off the hill you will have a very hard time not squeezing it hard or at least that would be my problem. People don't like to admit it but competition is in our blood and you have a machine that can get you and many of us in a LOT of trouble. If you respect that and the mountain you will be ok RESPECT is key. Be smart and stay safe.

DieselDemon

Reaction score
That is what I'm looking for mentors to keep me in check and say"woah cowboy that is hill is way to big For you". I look forward to seeing you guys watch me dig out my sled, and I look forward to watching the mountain vets and seeing what I might be able to do in a few years time with experience under my belt. T

E to the v

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say good for you! Would be nice to buy a new sled every year or two, not realistic for most of us. I have no problem w you going big. You can get in trouble on anything if you dont play smart. Have fun squishing that thing!

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's only because we care and we know how hard it is to resist using that power, the first time a stock Pol or Doo or Cat blows your mark off the hill you will have a very hard time not squeezing it hard or at least that would be my problem. People don't like to admit it but competition is in our blood and you have a machine that can get you and many of us in a LOT of trouble. If you respect that and the mountain you will be ok RESPECT is key. Be smart and stay safe.

Was it ONLY because we cared? or was it because we (me included) think we know everything and any newb has a lot to learn and it would be a privlage to be able to learn from us?

Have fun this year. If the sled ends up not being for you then there are always other options.

DieselDemon

Reaction score
Exactly, I can always sell if it's way too much sled. I have kids, and don't work in the patch I can't afford to upgrade every year or two to keep up with the new skills. And really I'd probally be happy cursing the foot hills lol. I really want to ride in valemount and blue river at least once this winter. Unless that is way too big

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was it ONLY because we cared? or was it because we (me included) think we know everything and any newb has a lot to learn and it would be a privlage to be able to learn from us?

Have fun this year. If the sled ends up not being for you then there are always other options.

Seriously it's because I speak from my own experience, for me at least it's not easy to have that kind of power and NOT use it. I helped dig a guy out once and he didn't make it, not something I ever want to have to do again. I have been riding a long time and I have seen in the last few years some hills slide that we used to climb all the time, scares the hell out of me. 25 years ago we didn't even think about it we just went because we only had enough power to get to the cabin on a fresh pow day lol. Now we can go places that we only dreamed about back then.

Top Bottom